Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Fire As She Bears! (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Topgallants Shot Away Completely: what next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wilson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Scotland, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chaps,

I played the Battle of Minorca last night with six players: great game!
Admiral Byng can rest easy....

The French ship 'Lion' (leading the French van) repeatedly received Topgallant damage until none were left: none flying so no Spars falling. What happens once all the Topgallant boxes are crossed off and futher Topgallant hits are received? I couldn't find a reference in the Rules.

We opted on the night for taking rigging damage rather than zero damage so as not to penalise the attacker. However, this soon caused the Lion to come to a standstill, as the wind had dropped and no headway could be made.

On reflection, I think we may adopt a 'no futher damage' result, as accumulating Rigging damage seemed too harsh for low hit dice rolls.

Advice? Thoughts?

Cheers!
Wilf



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have played it 'no further damage'. Seems right, that if there's nothing there to lose, there is no damage. I did a quick search of the PDF file and agree, it's not specifically covered, but I think this would be in the spirit of the rules. A crew check die roll can be made if players disagree on this. Although the FASB Yahoo group is a bit quiet at the moment, you might go there and see if it has been covered in the discussion there.

Tom Oxley
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomaso827 wrote:
I think I have played it 'no further damage'. Seems right, that if there's nothing there to lose, there is no damage. I did a quick search of the PDF file and agree, it's not specifically covered, but I think this would be in the spirit of the rules. A crew check die roll can be made if players disagree on this. Although the FASB Yahoo group is a bit quiet at the moment, you might go there and see if it has been covered in the discussion there.

Tom Oxley

Tom is correct. The shot would be high and therefore no longer anything present to be hit.

I'm happy to see that someone is still playing FASB. One of these days I'll get around to updating the rules.

BTW, I no longer monitor the Yahoo Group, but you still can probably get answers from experienced players there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilson
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Scotland, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the clarification: makes sense!

I've had FASB for a while but only recently introduced it our local wargames group, who have been very satisfied with it. As a Tuesday evening game its great for putting on a fleet scale fight in a reasonable timeframe.

Of course, I've tweaked things ;-)

I'm using tiny 1/4800 ships on 2" clear acrylic octogons, and have reproduced the QRS sheets to aid club use(private use only).

Some of my gaming buddies are wondering about ship data sheets for the Rennaisance, Anglo-Dutch Wars,Spanish Armada, etc. Have you any advice?
Also,some of the guys are looking to do Pirates!

Cheers,
Wilf
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilf wrote:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the clarification: makes sense!

I've had FASB for a while but only recently introduced it our local wargames group, who have been very satisfied with it. As a Tuesday evening game its great for putting on a fleet scale fight in a reasonable timeframe.

Of course, I've tweaked things ;-)

I'm using tiny 1/4800 ships on 2" clear acrylic octogons, and have reproduced the QRS sheets to aid club use(private use only).

Some of my gaming buddies are wondering about ship data sheets for the Rennaisance, Anglo-Dutch Wars,Spanish Armada, etc. Have you any advice?
Also,some of the guys are looking to do Pirates!

Cheers,
Wilf

Hi Wilf,

I have not researched Anglo-Dutch, Spanish Armada, etc. So unable to give you much advice there. IIRC, it took several minutes to reload those era guns. So firepower would be greatly diminished. Plus during that time frame ships could not sail as effectively to windward.

Since pirates were rarely involved in fleet actions, I would use the frigate duel portion of the rules. However, to beef up the ships, use the 74 gun stat block to represent a 24 (or so) gun ship. You might want to look at a ruleset like "Close Action" for your pirate game.

Fair winds,
Phil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've loved the game since I found FASB1 at a regional HMGS convention - and Phil was running it there. I still have my autographed 1st edition.

I really need to get it out again, but that means I have to repair a bunch of Valiant 1/2000 models that got damaged when the shelves they were on fell down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomaso827 wrote:
I've loved the game since I found FASB1 at a regional HMGS convention - and Phil was running it there. I still have my autographed 1st edition.

I remember that. Fun con. That was when I was on the "FASB World Tour". May resume after I retire in a few years.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jungemann

Cameron Park
California
msg tools
Hi Wilf,
Where did you get the 2" hexagons? I also have 1:4800 miniatures.
Thanks,
Eric
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jungemann

Cameron Park
California
msg tools
Sorry . . . Should have said octagons!
Eric
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jungemann

Cameron Park
California
msg tools
After doing some research, I'll answer my own question.

Litko has octagons in 1", 2" and 3" in 3 types of plywood with additional base options. I ordered some. We'll see how they work with FASB.

Eric
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.