Subject: Buying Pandemic AND Forbidden Desert? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Neumayer
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmb
So basically I'm looking for a great co-op game that I can play when its just me and my girlfriend around, but that we can play with more people when they come over. Both of these games look great, but are they too similar? Or, more simply put, is it worth it buying both, or if I have one will I never play the other? Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Owning Pandemic AND Forbidden Desert?
Forbidden Island killed Pandemic for us, since it had not its depth, but was more accessible. Then came Defenders of the Realm and fired both, as it had both depth amd easy access...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With so many great games out there I would personally opt for games that played more differently than the games you listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can share my personal experience here: I first played/bought/loved Pandemic and got Forbidden Island after it.

To keep things short: we only played Forbidden Island once and never touched it again. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but I see it as a simplified version of Pandemic which I will still keep if I have some kids around who want the (more serious and challenging) Pandemic experience.

Both games support the same amount of players (2-4), but Pandemic has expansions available while Forbidden Island got a sequel which I didn't play yet: Forbidden Desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Pandemic. I generally only play games with my girlfriend, it is pretty rare that when there is a group of us, we will play a game (it usually descends into some sort of karaokefest). We normally play games like Agricola, Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Android: Netrunner, Commands & Colors: Ancients, and a few others, all of which are brilliant in 2 player!

A couple of weeks ago we bought Pandemic. Apart from Arkham Horror we have never played a coop game before. It is amazing! It's very tense and exciting. We absolutely love this game and would recommend it to anyone for an exciting, quick to learn game for 2 players. Since buying the base game just 2 or 3 weeks ago we already have the 2 expansion packs. It certainly plays with more than 2 players too, but I haven't tried that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this thread is interesting because for me, the theme makes a lot of difference. Pandemic and Forbidden Island might play the same, but one is about curing world diseases, the other about grabbing artifacts from a sinking island, so even though they have the same mechanic, it isn't the same feeling.

I don't mind playing the same type of game with a different theme, at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both games and play them both regularly. There are similarities between the two games, but they are different enough that it doesn't feel like Im playing the same game with a different theme. I would recommend them both. Out of the two though, Pandemic gets my vote hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

If you're concerned that they're too similar, why not get Flash Point: Fire Rescue

It also has several expansions to ramp up the variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert & Pandemic are different enough that you can buy both and enjoy some variety. Pandemic & Forbidden Island, however, are so similar that I would only get one or the other (pandemic for slightly more complexity, forbidden island for a little more accessible/lighter game).

There are plenty of other great entry level co-ops you can get for even wider variety. Defenders of the Realm is pretty similar to pandemic, but adds a fantasy theme and dice. Castle Panic has players defend towers from advancing waves of enemies. Flash Point: Fire Rescue has you putting out fires and rescuing people from a burning building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and Forbidden Island as well. And I still play all 3. I anticipate this is a highly subjective topic based on people's different preferences and experiences, but I'll throw in my two cents:

If you were debating between Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert, I would say you should pick one or the other, as they feel very similar mechanically and thematically (even though people will argue vehemently that they are very different). But between Desert and Pandemic, I don't think there's any harm in getting both. Yes, the overarching framework is the same (run around, balance escalating threat with overarching goal), but for me they strike very different moods. When I want something light and quick(ish) that I will probably win, Desert or Island is the way to go. When I want to sit down, get serious and really think about a game I know I will probably lose anyway, there's Pandemic. They just don't feel like the same game to me. Plus, Desert is a relatively inexpensive game, so not a ton of risk there.

I'm not saying you should get both necessarily, I'm just saying that I personally don't find that one replaces the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Neumayer
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the help everyone! That was awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.