Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Labyrinth of Ruin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bearded Axe question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marc mad
Canada
flag msg tools
I am not sure of how to play bearded axe correctly

Do surge abilities have to be applied after regular abilities?

In the bearded axe case:
1) does the attack gains +2 damage only if after resolving pierce 1, the target has no shield left, and THEN you can apply the surge: pierce 2? (In this case the +2 ability would only be triggered when the target has 0 or 1 shield)

2) Or can you use both pierce 1 and surge: pierce 2 before gaining +2 damage if the no shield condition is true? (Here the ability would be triggered when the target has 0, 1, 2, or 3 shields, which means almost everytime the surge is used)

I think the bearded axe would be more balanced with option 1 (but still very strong)

The same question could apply to Serpent Dagger: Can you use the +2 damage if you poison the target in the same attack? (by spending 2 surges)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
marc477 wrote:
I am not sure of how to play bearded axe correctly

Do surge abilities have to be applied after regular abilities?

In the bearded axe case:
1) does the attack gains +2 damage only if after resolving pierce 1, the target has no shield left, and THEN you can apply the surge: pierce 2? (In this case the +2 ability would only be triggered when the target has 0 or 1 shield)

2) Or can you use both pierce 1 and surge: pierce 2 before gaining +2 damage if the no shield condition is true? (Here the ability would be triggered when the target has 0, 1, 2, or 3 shields, which means almost everytime the surge is used)

I think the bearded axe would be more balanced with option 1 (but still very strong)

Pretty sure Option 2 is correct.

marc477 wrote:
The same question could apply to Serpent Dagger: Can you use the +2 damage if you poison the target in the same attack? (by spending 2 surges)

Yes, I believe so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb

The Bearded Axe seems pretty clear in how it works. After ALL of the Pierce is resolved (which includes the Surge: Pierce 2 in addition to the natural Pierce 1), then it gains extra damage.

This one I'm not so sure on. I'd personally interpret it that the target must be Poisoned when the attack is declared, but I don't know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Darren.

I think that with the serpent dagger the target has to be poisoned first.

step one in the attack sequence is declare weapon and target

rulebook pg 9 wrote:
1. Declare Weapon and Target: The attacking player chooses which
of his equipped weapons to use for this attack and declares the target
of the attack (a space containing an enemy figure). The player then
compiles his attack dice into a pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Damage is dealt out after surges are spent. And after the surges are spent, the target is poisoned.

I think the +2 damage would apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think when you target the target that is when you determine if the target is poisoned or not. But that is my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be right. It's worth sending the question to FFG.

Marc, try submitting the question here, and get back to us when you get a response.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted one already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prakash Madhav
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
Damage is dealt out after surges are spent. And after the surges are spent, the target is poisoned.

I think the +2 damage would apply.

I would probably play it this way. Essentially, you'd be paying 2 surges for 2 damage right away which seems like a fair trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about the Serpent Dagger

it states "if the target is poisoned, this attack gains +2 hearts"

Now in step one of declaring an attack on page 9 of the rules it states "Declare weapon and target...."

Is this where you would determine if the target is poisoned?

Or could you theoretically use two surges to poison the target, then add the two damage after?

Nathan Hajek wrote:
Hi Craig,

Good question. When using the Serpent Dagger, the bonus damage is decided when you declare it as your weapon. You cannot poison them and then gain the damage for them being poisoned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Question about the Serpent Dagger

it states "if the target is poisoned, this attack gains +2 hearts"

Now in step one of declaring an attack on page 9 of the rules it states "Declare weapon and target...."

Is this where you would determine if the target is poisoned?

Or could you theoretically use two surges to poison the target, then add the two damage after?

Nathan Hajek wrote:
Hi Craig,

Good question. When using the Serpent Dagger, the bonus damage is decided when you declare it as your weapon. You cannot poison them and then gain the damage for them being poisoned.

I don't know... it's from some dude named Nathan, not Justin the Source of Infinite Descent Wisdom. Maybe Justin was sick that day.

Kidding, thanks for getting the answer.

Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef van Woensel
msg tools
If this ruling on the Serpent Dagger is correct, that would mean that the effect of 2 surges will actually be worse than the effect of 1 surge.

Suppose attacker rolls 2 hearts and defender rolls 2 shields:
- with 1 surge on the attack: Pierce 2, so 2 damage
- with 2 surges on the attack: Poison, so no damage but just poison which is -1 to health each turn.

This will mean that only after 2 turns you get the same effect for 2 surges, as you would have for 1 surge. Let alone the monster staying on the board for more actions...

That can't be correct, right?

Below makes much more sense:
- 1 surge: Pierce 2
- 2 surge: Poison + Damage 2
(and if the target was already poisoned from previous effects, the attack automatically gains + 2 Damage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also possible to use the dagger against a monster, which got a poisoned condition from another source.

I agree, that it´s difficult to make use of the weapons effect regularly, but there are some weapons which work best in conjunction with the skills of some classes, effects or other weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.