United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no mention of placing control markers during setup, which as written would seem to indicate that there will be a flurry of control markers placed at the end of the first turn. This would mean, though, that no one is in control of anything at the beginning of the game. Which means:

1. Neither player would generate any income from control of Economic Centers or Monrovia boxes.

2. If there are peace talks on the first turn, the US Marines would have nowhere to deploy, since they deploy in Government-controlled boxes in Monrovia.

3. Each side is likely to gain juju for taking over counties, but no one is going to lose juju for losing control of them.

Is this how the game is supposed to work? The other two options that would make sense to me are:

The government controls the entire country at the start of the game and has a control marker in every county and Monrovia box until rebels move in.

Or...

After setup, the government places control markers only in the counties/Monrovia boxes where he has placed troops (this is how I'm playing it in my first game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the one AAR it looks like the government is assumed to be in control of the entire country at the start of the game, but if that's explicitly stated anywhere, I haven't seen it yet....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
From the one AAR it looks like the government is assumed to be in control of the entire country at the start of the game, but if that's explicitly stated anywhere, I haven't seen it yet....

Set up is on page 34 section 14.0. under "The Government Player".

This is one of about 1/2 dozen issues I have about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Not sure how I missed that, after several searches through the rulebook. Definitely some rough patches in the presentation, but by and large I found it fascinating. Though after one play I'm quite certain I'm terrible at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually fixed a few things about the game to make it a bit more palatable. I made cards for each of the random events and the peace talks and factions track and use some reshuffle rules as well as taking the events on the peace talks and factions track out of the game after they come into play. Gameplay is a lot smoother with them, though I still find that I play certain rules incorrectly. One day I hope someone does a re-write of the rule book that makes it more accessible and user friendly. But it is good to see that others own and play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.