Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Invasion last week, along with Assault and March, so we decided to give it a try. I started with Orks, while my opponent took those pesky High Elves. We used the Core decks and neutral cards. At first, things went exceedingly well for me. On my second turn, I managed to deal 8 damage in one Battlefield phase to his Quest zone, which had no defenders. We looked at each other, blinked, and started laughing. Right there we knew we were going to love it.

After that, though, he got into the swing of his deck. Pretty soon he had the elven unit that ignores all combat damage in his Battlefield, and soon after that it went quickly downhill for me. As soon as he got out the Support (?) card that gives Power bonuses based on the number of developments, I was done. I thought the Orks would get units out a bit faster, but it was still good fun.

Our second game, my opponent took the Empire, and I went for what I really wanted to play: Chaos. That game started a bit slower, but he laid a beating on me in the end. I tried to maximize my Corruption-causing cards, but never could get more than one of his units at a time. His Empire units were coming fast and furious, and as soon as I thought I got an opening, one or two more cards would drop. I can't imagine how bad that one will be once we start deckbuilding!

In retrospect, I may be mixing up which game the Support card that gives bonuses for Developments was used in. Like I said, it was our very first try, so I'm sure I am mis-remembering something. And I just ordered a crap-ton more cards a few minutes ago.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ries
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the battlefield!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see you enjoying the game. Thanks for sharing your fun.

I bought Warhammer: Invasion last year, with the big expansion "Assualt...". I played it a couple times with my youngest son when he comes home from college. There is no interest in the game at my FLGS, they are all Magic players there. My wife has no interest. So my rare chances to play are with my son, who I see maybe once a month.

Tonight we sat down and played two hands. It had been easily 9-10 months since the last time we played. He played Dark Elves while i played Chaos. He beat me handily in the first game. In the second game, he had my Kingdom section on fire with 5 tokens placed on my Battlefield section. He was getting 9 Income and 5-6 cards per turn. I had 9 cards in my hand with only 1 power and 2 units. I was ready to throw it in. He said 'let me look at your hand'. He instructed me to play several cards that corrupted 2 units in his battlefield. Used another tactic card to put hits on targeted cards, and in short order by the use of tactics cards, reduced his front line Battlefield units from about 8 power to just 1. I then came in on the next turn as he was rebuilding his front line and scorched him virtually unopposed in his Battlefield section to set it afire. The next turn, he could not get units back to the front, and could not put the kill on me. On my next turn, I added to my front line, with a card with a power doubling effect, putting 13 power from my battlefield units against his weakly defended Quest area, setting his 2nd area ablaze, and winning the game.

It just shows you, just when you think you are out of the game, the right combination of cards, and some optimism, and you can snatch a victory from the certainty of defeat. Granted, he had to show me how to use my own cards, but he did open my eyes to how to put cards together to create the synergy to stave off certain defeat and turn it around into a victory. And to think I was about to throw the hand in. This...is a cool game.

I just wanted to share with you my experience, as I share your enthusiasm for this fine game. Sadly, it will be 6-8 weeks before I see my son again to get a chance to play again. I wish I could get my wife interested. Just not "her thing".

Enjoy the game. I envy you for having a friend to play against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonja Reznikov
Canada
North York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice post about you play WI with your son. =GG
I would come and play WI with you but your wife might say something.
I always play with the Dark Elves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Orcs are definently the Rush faction for this game. You would just have to hunt down the cheaper orc units in the card packs. I know Spider Riders come in one of the corruption cycle packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends, Cataclysm, HK, and one each of the Corruption cycle packs should be here today, so I will have lots of greenskin goodness to muck about with. I also want to give the DElves a try. And an Undead deck. And a Skaven deck. And...

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.