Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Keeling
United States
Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both games are on my to buy list, however after looking at them they seem pretty similar, both in theme and play styles (buying and selling cards).

Has anyone played both and if so which one would you buy if you could only get one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
jotajota31 wrote:
Both games are on my to buy list, however after looking at them they seem pretty similar, both in theme and play styles (buying and selling cards).

Has anyone played both and if so which one would you buy if you could only get one?

Jaipur is a clever gin derivative, where as Asanta is a card game with variable powers etc. a la the classic MTG archetype. Depends if you want more or less complexity (Jaipur is on the easier side).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Jaipur. But, just FYI, Asante I believe is more similiar to Jambo than Jaipur

Cheers,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Asante is a stand alone expansion to Jambo (and its 2 expansions). You can combine them all into 1 very large deck with a few additional rules.

Japiur is great but is a pretty straight forward set collection game. Jambo is all about the cards, what they do, how they interact with other cards and a more take-that type game than Jaipur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This response is with the assumption from what I have read that Asante is basically Jambo.

I have played Jambo and Jaipur. Jaipur has a colorful Indian theme and light, competitive, set-collecting game play. Jambo has a great African theme and is more resource collecting and special powers.

I prefer Jaipur for it's speed and clever design. We always play 3 games in a row (tokens provided mark the wins). Jambo fell to the wayside quickly for us and was traded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
(assuming asante and jambo are close to the same game)

While Jaipur is easier to explain and in a way more enjoyable... I caught myself using many of the same gambits over-and-over again.

Jambo offers some great gamesmanship...

1.) Lots of variable cards.
2.) Learning to bluff whether you have a 'guard' or not when they go to play an offensive card.

My only real beef with Jambo is that at times the primary game of economics can be sidelined with concerns about these player cards and when I'm in the mood for one, I don't want the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tjerk Feenstra
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get both.

Jaipur is easier, plays faster, and is still great fun. You can play a set of best of 3 in 30 minutes and takes up almost no place (important for when traveling).

Jambo (Asante) is currently my favorite 2 player game. It plays in 30-40 minutes once you are familiar with the cards but has more elements of conflict that feel amazing when played by you but are annoying to encounter. Also there are some amazing combo's to pull off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.