Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often heard of people picking this game up at thrift stores. I mean a good amount of people, and relatively often. And, when I found a copy at one of my local thrift stores, I had to pick it up too. (I actually got 2 copies in a hang bag along with 2 other games for $3, but that's beside the point.)

Now going in, I knew Quiddler was a word game (it says so on the box), and I think in some ways, that lowered my expectations of how good the game was going to be, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. It's simple, easy to learn, and really really fun!

So far I've only played with 3 players, but I imagine it's just as fun with more or less.

After finishing the first game, I wanted to play again and again.

The game takes place over 8 rounds. Each round, players are dealt 1 more card than the last round. The first round starts with 3 cards and the last round has 10.
After players are dealt their cards, the player to the dealers left goes first.
On a players turn, they will pick up a card either the top of the deck, or the top of the discard pile.
Then, they'll either "go out" or discard a card and pass the turn to the next player.
A player goes out when they can make words with all the cards in their hand except one. They play all the words on the table in front of them, and then discard the card remaining in their hand.
After a player goes out all other players take one more turn in an attempt to get rid of as many remaining cards as they can.
A word must be at least 2 letters.
Players score points for each card they played and lose points for each card left in their hand. The player who played the most words and the player who played the longest word get an extra 10 bonus points.
At the end of 8 rounds, whichever player has the most points wins.

There's also a Solo version of the game. It plays a lot like Solitaire. It's not quite as fun as the normal game, but it's very cool that they included that option.

There are a few drawbacks to the game, but nothing significant enough that you shouldn't play it.
•One of these drawbacks is that you have to provide your own pen and paper for scoring.
•Another is that there can be a lot of downtime, due to Analysis Paralysis (either a lot of options or being unsure of your options). This actually isn't always a bad thing, because while it's not your turn, you have a chance to think about how you can play your cards and a chance to look through the dictionary if you can't think of a word, or if you need to check the spelling of a word.
•Sometimes players will start with a better hand than other players, but generally, throughout the 8 rounds of play, this balances out.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes card games or word games, or quick games, or...I just recommend this game. Pick it up, it's great, and you can probably find a copy at the thrift store like I did, and like several other people did.

Rating: Very Bad | Bad | Okay | Good | Very Good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with this game is that players rarely drew more than 2 cards before going out. It was just too easy to use all your cards to make words. On many occasions, we could go out with our initial deal. That is just not very interesting or tense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
My problem with this game is that players rarely drew more than 2 cards before going out. It was just too easy to use all your cards to make words. On many occasions, we could go out with our initial deal. That is just not very interesting or tense.

I actually think that's part of why I like the game, because the rounds can be so short, and if a player has words to make in the opening hand, it puts pressure on the opponents to get their cards down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Hannemann
United Kingdom
Upper Heyford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for bringing this game to the attention of more people.

I have very fond memories playing this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.