Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blitzed through AJtR tonight so fast that a small part of me still suspects I was doing something wrong. I won in 4 rounds, and probably could have done it in 3, without ever coming across any of the Athelas.

Round 1 got halfway through the first quest stage. Bird has 4 damage tokens.

Round 2 I clear the quest stage 1, travel to Rhosgobel. Bird has 6 damage.

Round 3 I quest to clear Rhosgobel, and put ~2 tokens on Stage 2. Lore of Imladris the bird, bringing him to 1 dmg (3 damage at the end of the round).

Then on the final turn Healing Herbs brings the bird up to 20 health. I Gandalf for extra willpower, quest everyone for 16 willpower, and power through for the win, no Athelas in hand.

Never hit any of the nasty treacheries from the encounter deck. In fact I just saw combat - bats, birds, and orcs. Legolas and Brand took them out no problem with Quick Strikes + Hands Upon the Bow. Only close call was a Festering Wounds shadow card that got discarded because I Quick Strike'd the enemy before he attacked.

Questing everyone at the end was risky, but I had one Spirit resource + A Test of Will in hand, so it seemed safe. Celebrian's Stone on Aragorn turn 1 + questing with Spirit Glorfindel (no threat concern in this adventure) means questing for 8-9 right from turn 1. That makes for s fast, easy session.

I'll need to make a mental note of this playthrough for the next time, when I inevitably flip over two Exhaustions in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At a recent Saturday gaming meet, my wife and I had another player join us for this scenario. We also beat it in 3 turns. He had played the scenario before, but for her and I, it was our first time playing it. We felt his experience and 3 of us playing accelerated the events to our benefit, and felt that if her and I tackled it by ourselves, we would not have quested so easily, and would have taken several more turns for the scenario to play out. Overall impression...not too overly difficult. But an enjoyable one to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had similar experiences with this quest. I don't think you played anything wrong. To me, this is one of the more random quests to have been released. You can power through it in a few turns, or you can sit grinding for turn after turn waiting for Athelas to show up, or you can be wiped out by a few bad treachery draws. More than most quests, the difficulty of this one depends on your encounter card draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
We played this yesterday for the first time, too, and also powered through in 20 minutes. However, we interpreted the final quest the following: It says that for every Athelas, Wilyador gets healed. If this brings him to 0 wounds, you win, otherwise you lose.
We interpreted this to mean that even if he ends up with 0 wounds, you will not win without Athelas because it was not the Athelas that healed him. We decided that this makes thematic sense, too, because even if the wounds are treated, they fester anyway (represented by the automatic wounds he takes each round) and only the Athelas has the power to treat him completely.

We were playing with the German version, though, so there might be minor differences in the quest description that render our thought process completely wrong.

EDIT: I just checked the English version. Our interpretation was probably wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be required to have any Athelas, but that's not a bad house rule to play by. It'll make the quest a bit more challenging, and as you say, does make thematic sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time tonight. It's the poster child for why you should not play a new quest without reading it first. Neither of our decks had any healing cards. That left us with just nine turns before the eagle died to find all four athalas cards from the event deck. It was preordained that we'd lose. A couple of healing sphere cards and we'd have won easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellas,

IMO this scenario is easy to boring. I sincerely think Wilyador card needs to be errateted. My ideas:

a) It should read: "At the end of each round, Wilyador suffers 3 damage." (or even 4); or

b) "Wilyador cannot be healed of more than 3 wounds by a single effect." (or even 2); or

c) A mix of a $ b (e.g. "Wilyador suffers 3 damage at the end of each round plus Wilyador cannot be healed of more than 3 or 4 wounds by a single card effect".

Reason: Lore of Imladris (core) solves so easily the damage on the eagle (I could easilyt point more reasons, but this one is enough to me).

Just my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Spaceboy: Personally with cards from core and only up to this scenario I actually find it very hard. Lore of imladris only heals for 5 damage and you have to have the correct draw to get it from your deck. Plus, even if you dont get Wilyador hit by all those treacheries, at 2 damage per turn Imladris healing power only covers 2.5 turns (not counting he even starts with 2 damage). Plus theres a max of 3 in your deck.

So I imagine if you get lore of imladris into your hand quickly, plus get an athelas from the large encounter deck quickly, (others note you should need at least one to win) as well as questing high enough to get through stages, then I can see this going fast and smooth... bht thats a lot of what-ifs.
Thats also providing you have provision to counter the airbourne attacks too.

Obviously with a bigger card pool im sure it gets a different story, but for me, with only cards up-to this quest, I dont feel lore of imladris on its own makes this quest easy.

Its been a lot of fun so far, but i think very hard

Ps great avatar, very look&read from 70s/80s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur Snijder
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just resurrecting this one to vent my frustration. I have played this scenario now about 6 or 7 times and not got close to a win yet. I use the Core Set cards plus those from the Mirkwood cycle.

Lore is a must because of the healing. I don't bother with Radagast because he is a) expensive, b) takes 5 turns to charge up completely and c) disapears after one heal. So there is only Lore of Imladris, that you may or may not draw. But that is not the main problem.

It is the Encounter Deck that is killing me. I have not seen such a dense concentration of evil treacheries before. Almost every turn I get hit with wound effects on the bird and on my heroes, from exhaustion, swarming insects or the Necromancer's Reach. Or I get stuck in a web. And if it isn't that, I meet Chieftain Ufthak or Ungolianth's Spawn to distract me from what I should be doing, finding Athelas. Did I mention the festering wounds and the Hummerhorns?

To supplement Lore I tried Tactics for the ranged Horseman Archers and Eagles, and also Leadership but they have very limited ranged options. I get too many Black Forest Bats and Mirkwood Flock to ignore them, and anyway leaving attacks undefended is suicide with all those treacheries flying around. Tactics seems the best option because of Legolas, but Eagles are expensive and it takes time to deploy them. On the Lore side I use Denethor for Encounter Deck churn and pre-warnings of those treacheries, and I have tried Glorfindel for my main quester. He is actually quite good here and can help with a bit of healing (but not on the bird, of course).

To make things even worse, in my decks Athelas is about as prolific as money trees. When I finally see one it is as a Shadow Card! I use Denethor to churn through the Encounter Deck as fast as I can, helped by Henamarth Riversong if possible. Even so, I have yet to find more than 2 plants before the Eagle dies from excessive wounds, or before I start losing heroes to the endless stream of treachery damage.

I do not understand all those comments up-thread about how easy this is. Are we even playing the same game?

-----------------------------------------

Pfff, ok, that feels better

Back to the game for another try. I'm sure I'll crack it one day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faded_Glory wrote:

To make things even worse, in my decks Athelas is about as prolific as money trees. When I finally see one it is as a Shadow Card! I use Denethor to churn through the Encounter Deck as fast as I can, helped by Henamarth Riversong if possible. Even so, I have yet to find more than 2 plants before the Eagle dies from excessive wounds, or before I start losing heroes to the endless stream of treachery damage.

Instead of using Denethor to churn, use him to replace direct damage cards.

Include the neutral card "Shadow of the Past", three copies. That way if Athelas shows up as a Shadow Card, you can put it atop the encounter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not just you. I've got 2 wins in 10 games using different decks. Pretty much the treacheries and shadow effects wipe me out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.