Subject: Traitors always winning for 10 players game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb

We've played not less than 20 games and we have noticed a pattern that unless it's a miracle the Resistance team never wins.

The Red team always win easily (for a 10 players game).

We agreed to need two X's in not only one mission (mission 4) but also for mission 2.

Is this problem observed by other player groups? or are we doing something wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
10 is hard. Are you focusing on game facts or are you focusing on reading the other players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Jythier wrote:
10 is hard. Are you focusing on game facts or are you focusing on reading the other players?

Both.
We've realized that the 10 players game is super easy for the traitors while the resistance players must all pay attention and "hope".

I've failed to realize a way to win without "hoping". It's always a gamble because the game ends fast especially when Traitors win the first mission. You have no time for trial and error; you just hope you don't mess up the team-selection.

I think making second mission require two "x's" to fail balanced it out but we haven't tried it intensively yet.

I was wondering maybe we're doing something wrong. Or missing some key strategy we could use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maël Brustlein
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play with the Plot cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Bob Moron wrote:
Do you play with the Plot cards?

No we don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maël Brustlein
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In many player groups, Plot cards tend to tip the balance in favour of the Resistance (and they do, arguably, add a substantial layer of depth to the game), so you might want to try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to try The Resistance: Avalon in which you can add different roles to make it harder for the evil side. It should be possible to play Avalon with a normal Resistance game. You just have to decide which card represents which role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif The Lucky
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic game, without any additional information, is slanted against the resistance at almost any number of players, with ten being the worst. Adding in an inquisitor tool, the Avalon roles, or plot cards is necessary to balance the game out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitchen Sink Avalon at 10p has good odds for rebels. Try it!

Murry Percy PoRx4 Assassin Mordy Morgy Obey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

PoR = Plain old Resistance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, ten players is very hard. Look up the rules for the Inquisitor Promo - it is easy to proxy in a piece to be the Inquisitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hisala Mander
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I must be missing something: Who actually uses those terms (eg. murry, percy, obey)?
I have seen you post these names on other thread/s

The games I have played, have never devolved to those names as they don't make anything easier. Maybe its a regional thing. Maybe there is a in-joke I may be missing

I don't mean it as an offence (after all you are an expert in this game)
Just for the trivia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Any social, verbal "party" game will develop its own vernacular over time. We already see this happening in a variety of ways with Resistance: "The Hammer," "3G", "floating a mission", "obvious spying", "WIFOM" (borrowed from our Werewolf friends), etc.

It is funny to call Merlin "Good Old Murry," like he is Santy Claus or something.

Also if you repeat something enough it sticks. My hope is one day we all call Percy Percy and say "so strong" when spies propose a dirty mission.

So say we all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
What, his name isn't just "Percy" or "Murry's Purse?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
What, his name isn't just "Percy" or "Murry's Purse?"
So strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"3G"?

-And to Laura, hi I'm the designer. I'd also recommend using either Plot Cards or the Inquisitor/Lady of the Lake token from Avalon. The Inquisitor is a very easy addition to the game that can add a lot of information. Hope that helps and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

PoR = Plain old Resistance?

Also Plain Old Rebel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Don E wrote:
"3G"?

-And to Laura, hi I'm the designer. I'd also recommend using either Plot Cards or the Inquisitor/Lady of the Lake token from Avalon. The Inquisitor is a very easy addition to the game that can add a lot of information. Hope that helps and have fun.
Something co-workers of mine came up with: "I'm 3G." This means "I'm a generic good guy," a way of claiming your non-Merliny goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks all for your feedback, I will try to add the inquisitor to the mix!

Don E wrote:
"3G"?

Wow.. THE designer of the game replying to my inquiry about the game? That's so awesome, my playing group wouldn't believe me!

Do I need to buy Avalon to play the inquisitor? (forgive my ignorance lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha no worries Laura. If they don't believe it just link the site

Technically you'd need either Avalon, which has Lady of the Lake, or (I believe) the Kickstarter version of Coup which includes the Inquisitor token, which is the same as Lady of the Lake. So, officially I encourage you to acquire one of those.

In the meantime though, just get any extra token and use it instead. Basic rules: at the start of the game give that token to the player to the right of the Leader. Then, at the very beginning of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds, the player with that token may check any one other player's identity AND give them the token. At the beginning of the next round, then that player gets to do the same, and so on. However you can't check a player's who's already held the token.

I normally don't mention these things in public threads, but I do wish I'd included the Inquisitor in the base game. It's probably the only thing I'd have done differently, so I'm glad to post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Don E wrote:
Haha no worries Laura. If they don't believe it just link the site

Technically you'd need either Avalon, which has Lady of the Lake, or (I believe) the Kickstarter version of Coup which includes the Inquisitor token, which is the same as Lady of the Lake. So, officially I encourage you to acquire one of those.

In the meantime though, just get any extra token and use it instead. Basic rules: at the start of the game give that token to the player to the right of the Leader. Then, at the very beginning of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds, the player with that token may check any one other player's identity AND give them the token. At the beginning of the next round, then that player gets to do the same, and so on. However you can't check a player's who's already held the token.

I normally don't mention these things in public threads, but I do wish I'd included the Inquisitor in the base game. It's probably the only thing I'd have done differently, so I'm glad to post it here.

I have already purchased Avalon and three new copies of The Resistance (my original one, which was the first edition small box, is damaged severely ) and every guest player ends up asking me to buy them a copy of the game so they can play with their friends.

Awesome game btw it gets A LOT of praise in our playing group. No other game matches the tension, surprise and fun this game offers.

Cheers for the tips and support!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura BlueFrost
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb

Update: Played with the inquisitor rule and boy things started to get really dramatic LOL. FIRST time someone uses this power was against me and I was a traitor... Damn, did I need to work harder to convince others I was not. But the experience was hilarious, we still talk about it a week after.

We purchased a couple of Avalon boxes and a several Resistance 2nd edition boxes. Everyone's pissed off at me for not introducing this game to them earlier.

Thanks everyone and especially Don E for the feedback!

Can't wait to play Avalon's version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Silie
Germany
flag msg tools
Don E wrote:

So when you know somebody's identity, are you allowed to tell everyone? I mean, you could lie though, right? Also, did I get it right that there is no inquisitor in the 5th round?
Is it at the BEGINNING or the END of the rounds that somebody becomes the inquisitor?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoidberg wrote:
Don E wrote:

So when you know somebody's identity, are you allowed to tell everyone? I mean, you could lie though, right? Also, did I get it right that there is no inquisitor in the 5th round?
Is it at the BEGINNING or the END of the rounds that somebody becomes the inquisitor?

Thanks a lot!

Sure you can but nobody has to believe you.

In my Avalon rules it is not at the beginning of the round but after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quest is resolved. That's why there is no Lady/Inquisitor in the 5th round but since the designer told you otherwise maybe the rules changed.

Just to be sure, when checking the identity, you don't look at the card. In Avalon there is a blue and a red card (same backs) and the player gives you the card matching his identity. It's not important in the Resistance base game but if you want to player with different roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heterometrus Swammerdami
msg tools
I've just heard of the game, and am playing a 10-player game right now.

I think there is a very simple proof that the 10-player basic game is much more pro-Spy than the 9-player game.

Note that the 9-player game uses exactly the same schedule of rounds as the 9-player game. There are the same number of non-spies, but one more vote is needed to accept a mission.

Suppose that in a 10-player game, one Spy stands up at the beginning of the game and announces that he's a Spy, and promises he will vote to Accept every mission. He's place a huge handicap on the Spy team, right? And yet what he's done is to transpose the game exactly into a 9-player game with its normal schedule!

Is there a thread somewhere summarizing win rates for the basic game with differing number of players?

(PS: This is my very first post on this board.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |