Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've seen mentions around the web of some army level Kriegsspiel rules, but I can't find them posted anywhere. I assume they are homebrewed variations on published Kriegsspiel versions. Does anyone have a link or download of these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Kansas City [Platte City]
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run larger forces on the Metz index maps by the following kludge:

Bounds are 15 minutes
Pieces are the same size
Movement rates are as marked on the ruler

As memory serves that's around 90% scale correct at least with my printed maps, pieces, and rules.

Set ranges as appropriate for the era.

As you might guess from this, I tend to run Kriegsspiel games for speed more than precision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Speed of play is exactly what I'm thinking of, although I was hoping for something using larger units as the basic elements of maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have mentioned:

I rename the pieces from half battalions to brigades.

Honestly, as long as the scale generally works to produce decision opportunities at the frequency it ought relative to the movement of forces, then you're good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Bayely
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking at running a campaign then?

I run KS as Army vs Army on the map. Once you summarize the Too Fat Lardies translation down to the tables and outcomes the main time spent is interpertating orders and delivering results. I've also been experimenting with Carnage and Glory II to provide results of conflict and the computer system helps to cut down on the amount of paperwork to maintain accurate records of whats happening right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest one day event I've run is armies on the Metz map - all 4 index maps, with something like ten divisions on each side. It was a major umpiring challenge to keep it running!

I've run long-term play-by-email campaigns in the past but ultimately got burned out on them due to the workload, even with computer adjudication and tracking. Scope control turns out to be really critical and I am at least as weak-willed and subject to feature creep as the next GM. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NJames wrote:
I've seen mentions around the web of some army level Kriegsspiel rules, but I can't find them posted anywhere. I assume they are homebrewed variations on published Kriegsspiel versions. Does anyone have a link or download of these?

No, there is a set of army level rules written in the USA in the 1890s, a copy of which I once saw. I do not think they are currently in print; most people do indeed use their own written variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James Sterrett wrote:
I should have mentioned:

I rename the pieces from half battalions to brigades.

Honestly, as long as the scale generally works to produce decision opportunities at the frequency it ought relative to the movement of forces, then you're good to go.

You need to be careful with this. Remember the original Kriegsspiel was a military training aide to teach officers control and the known outcome of decisions, including issues of resupply and treating casualties. Brigades will not be fought in the same way as a half battalion and has greater staying power in battle. Thus scaling up in such a way will give you a game but not necessarily a good Kriegsspiel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Livermore Strategic game?
http://grogheads.com/?p=5321
pointed to from ConsimWorld article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.