Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Eight-Minute Empire: Legends is an area control game mixed with set collection. The game is pretty straightforward: in your turn you take one of the cards of the row of six cards. The first card is free, the next two cost 1, the fourth and fifth cost 2 and the sixth, and last, cost 3. Every card has two parts: the bottom part has the action allowed by the card - it will usually be: put armies (cubes) in the board, move armies, take out armies of your opponents or build a fortress. The upper part has the name of the card and the special effect of it: or it will give you a boost in some of the actions (like one extra movement) or it will have some sort of point-related thing (like +1 VP for every card you have with the Forest type, or +1 VP for every three coins you have at the end of the game). You gain points by controlling territories and regions, and also by the cards that give VPs. After 8 rounds the game ends - so everyone will have taken 8 cards - and the player with the most points, wins!

First of all: the game does not takes only 8 minutes to end. Maybe 8 minutes per player - it can be less, but the game will usually last 25-30 minutes do end. It still sits comfortably in the filler section. And a filler with some meat in the bones, for sure. Every turn there are choices: which card to take, how to better use the action. They aren't really difficult decisions, but aren't mindless either - you must consider, ponder about your game and the game of others. Eight-Minute Empire: Legends is a tatical game by nature, but your choices could go from start to finish, since some cards are worth points based in your choices of cards latter on.

As an area control game, Eight-Minute Empire: Legends offers a lot of player interaction, not always in the way of hurting the game of others, but mostly by vying for the same regions or territories. Also, the cards that are worth VPs call for attention, since if you leave some cards, the others might make a good amount of direct points (for instance, if the same player takes the 2 Noble cards, he will gain 4 VPs). So Eight-Minute Empire: Legends isn't really a game of you do your thing, I do mine, in the end we compare things and see who did better. In here you fight! Sort of.

Replay value seems to be high, since the order of the cards affects the whole game, and also the set up of the regions can change. The game comes with variants that surely will help to keep the game fresh for longer. But takes this a grain of salt, since I can't really say for sure in this matter.

The game bits are great: the boards are sturdy, the box is just the right size, the card stock is fine. I would like that the chits for coins to be bigger, but I can live with what it got. The manual is well made and clear - it is easy to find informations on it. The artwork in the cards is excellent - Ryan Laukat is really a talented artist.

Only one thing bothered us: that the last player have it rough and he doesn't have any initial advantage. Sure, the first player is the one that wins the bid. But the second, third and fourth players, technically, all lost, but their position goes from better to worst without difference among them other than one being in the right side of the winner of the bid, and the other in the left side of the player. And being in last is a bad position to be in: in the first round, the others choose before you, and in the last round, the first player will have 6 options (of course, if the money he has allows), the next will have 5, the next 4 and the last player only 3 options. Maybe if the last player got one or two extra coins, things could be more even. "But this isn't suppose to be even, that's why you bid!", you might say. I guess so, in some sense, but I still would like to see blind auctions for the other positions, not only for first player - it would be better, and it won't add more than one minute to the playing time. Anyway, nothing really major, just something we all felt after playing. And I notice that some consider the last player to have a small advantage, we didn't see this - maybe with more plays?

To sum it up: Eight-Minute Empire: Legends is a solid game, a great filler, with above average components, easy to learn, easy to play, offering a nice set of decisions to be made in such a small frame of time. I liked it quite a bit and will track a copy for myself.

And that is it!

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the card pool refills between turns so the last player has the same number of choices as the first player.

"After a player takes his card and action, slide the remaining cards to the left to fill in the empty card space. Draw a new card and place it in the right-most space. Play then passes to the left."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
I believe the card pool refills between turns so the last player has the same number of choices as the first player.

"After a player takes his card and action, slide the remaining cards to the left to fill in the empty card space. Draw a new card and place it in the right-most space. Play then passes to the left."

Yes, but in the last round, there aren't more cards to enter play. The drawpile exhausted when the first player started his last turn. At least that how it went for us.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the last move gives you final say on the board position, you can take advantage of vulnerable areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Having the last move gives you final say on the board position, you can take advantage of vulnerable areas.

This is true. But you might not have movement cards left, or one to add troops. It is indeed a thin line - it is a good position to be in, but much like in El Grande, you might only be able to put cubes in places you don't want to because someone else moved the King. The shorter set of cards to choose from appeared to us to hinder more than being the last to make a move helped.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I have only played it two players and didn't really notice any disadvantage. I know there are some variants included in the box, have you played any of these? (maybe they alter this)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Interesting. The card problem only happened in certain player count, I think.

The consensus among the forum is that first player has no advantage, and the last has more, so I've adopt a variant where you only bid for position (as in, you can decide who goes first), rather than for the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I agree pretty much with all your points. I also think the last player can have a disadvantage on the cards he can buy in his last turn, though they are all cheaper than the first player's options (player 1 might have to buy a 3-cost card to stop player 4 getting it for only 1-cost by the time it's their go), but the last player does to some extent get an advantage in final positioning. I'm not sure you can mitigate that easily, but it's a quick enough (well, 30 mins) game that you could just play a few more times, changing who plays first each time, instead of using the blind bidding at the start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Ah, I have only played it two players and didn't really notice any disadvantage. I know there are some variants included in the box, have you played any of these? (maybe they alter this)

I have only played the normal game, so far.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
madmanw wrote:

I have only played the normal game, so far.

Regards,

I've only play with all the variant (yes, all of them) once, and I did not notice if they have any effect on the different player's advantage. Perhaps the dragon would have some effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.