Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel David Cruz
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm working in a forthcoming project in kickstarter but I have the following doubt: are the pledges taxable incomes in United Kingdom?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manuel3086 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm working in a forthcoming project in kickstarter but I have the following doubt: are the pledges taxable incomes in United Kingdom?

thanks!

It will probably depend where the receiving business is resident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Consult a tax accountant (or the UK equivalent). Any answer you get here may or may not be right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Consult a tax accountant (or the UK equivalent). Any answer you get here may or may not be right.

He just did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I'm not an accountant, but I believe pledges to be taxable income, yes. To create a UK kickstarter you need a UK address and UK bank account, and either be a UK resident or a Companies House registered business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel David Cruz
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers!

Charles Vasey wrote:

The receiving person resides in Wales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manuel3086 wrote:
Thanks for your answers!

Charles Vasey wrote:

The receiving person resides in Wales.

Has (s)he commenced trading yet, or is this project held in a separate entity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel David Cruz
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:

This is her first crowdfunding and she is going to help me to edit my first boardgame. The idea is: she will give me the earned money and I'll edit the game. I'm from Spain and I can't make a KS project. Neither she nor me have any trading job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
That sounds like potentially a big legal mess. What will she do when your KS earns $100,000 and she has to report it on her taxes? You both should hire lawyers or incorporate and hire one lawyer in addition to an accountant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manuel3086 wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:

This is her first crowdfunding and she is going to help me to edit my first boardgame. The idea is: she will give me the earned money and I'll edit the game. I'm from Spain and I can't make a KS project. Neither she nor me have any trading job.

So she will not be the legal entity making or selling the game? She is just the collecting agent. She holds the funds on your behalf and then transfers them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel David Cruz
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:

So she will not be the legal entity making or selling the game? She is just the collecting agent. She holds the funds on your behalf and then transfers them?

Excuse me, my limited English language level don't allow me explain all I would like.

It will be a little more difficult. I'm going to create an editorial but it doesn't exist yet. She will collect the money on its behalf and then transfers it to it. Is it possible? She won't be the legal entity making or selling the game. Of course this is only an idea and we don't want to break any law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manuel3086 wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:

Excuse me, my limited English language level don't allow me explain all I would like.

It will be a little more difficult. I'm going to create an editorial but it doesn't exist yet. She will collect the money on its behalf and then transfers it to it. Is it possible? She won't be the legal entity making or selling the game. Of course this is only an idea and we don't want to break any law.

If she is not trading in the UK (and you say she is not making or selling the game) and the funds are held on behalf of a Spanish individual/entity and then transferred to that individual/entity then they should not be treated as income. She is just an account through whom the funds pass and has no trading function.

You need to ensure you have a good document trail here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel David Cruz
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:

If she is not trading in the UK (and you say she is not making or selling the game) and the funds are held on behalf of a Spanish individual/entity and then transferred to that individual/entity then they should not be treated as income. She is just an account through whom the funds pass and has no trading function.

You need to ensure you have a good document trail here.

Thank you very much Charles. I understand what you want to say. We'll try to have a good document trail.

I don't understand why KS doesn't allow other countries, like Spain or Germany or France, to carry out projects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manuel3086 wrote:

I don't understand why KS doesn't allow other countries, like Spain or Germany or France, to carry out projects.

They're probably still working out the tax implications! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
manuel3086 wrote:

We have a Winnah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudiCreations
Finland
Turku, Finland / Boston, MA, USA
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Charles Vasey wrote:
Bichatse wrote:
manuel3086 wrote:

We have a Winnah!

They don't do this in other countries mainly because Amazon Payments is not available in other countries. Also, because of the language barrier, and because laws in those countries may see crowdfunding as a "collection", and therefore not entirely legal. And, in the case of Germany, most certainly some tax implication as well. Although, there is already Startnext there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.