Subject: non player taliban march rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi, i need some clarification about this operation.

in the example from playbook, i see that taliban allocates a lone guerrilla in the LOC, because it would be activated if were 2 guerrillas. (cubes + warlords guerrilla + taliban guerrillas moving < = 3 to keep underground)

if the LOC has 3 pieces (2 cubes + 1 warlord guerrilla), does the non-player taliban allocate some (underground) guerrillas there? and if the guerrillas were previously active, does he?

related with this:

for the first marchs (3rd bullet in the march box in the flowchart), i select randomly 2 adjacent spaces from origin spaces. i find "badakhshan", a space with 3 warlords guerrillas, some bases, and no-pashtun. so, if taliban march there, all them become active.

should i select another destination space to avoid they would become active (by 8.1.2, 4th bullet "march so as to get as many underground guerrillas as possible to the destination")?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could anybody help me? Pleeeease!

I want to continue my game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Calpurino,

Here's my explanation of the Non-Player Taliban March Op from a different thread which should hopefully be helpful for you:

The Non-Player Taliban March is by far the hardest bot Op to figure out. (The same can be true of the Non-Player FARC March Op in Andean Abyss). Definitely consult the illustration of this Op in the Playbook (it's there for the obvious reason).

The easiest part of the Non-Player Taliban March Op are the LoCs. Usually, only the 3 and 4 value LoCs are within reach of the Taliban. Also, what happens is that the Taliban can March no more than 2 G's onto the LoC, but could be as few as 1 G if the LoC has no cubes on it.

The next part of the Non-Player Taliban March Op is a bit trickier, but is more restricted than it appears: the 2 potential spaces have to be those where the Taliban have neither Control, nor Opposition. If you think about it, that makes logical sense for the Taliban as they would normally Rally Op in such spaces. By Marching into spaces which have neither Taliban Control, nor Opposition, the Taliban can access spaces which they normally can't Rally in, i.e., those having Support. Also they can only March into one adjacent space, so if the Taliban are coming from, for example, Pakistan, the choices will likely be restricted.

The last of the Non-Player Taliban March Op is the most complex and consulting that illustration in the Playbook helps immensely "visualize" what's going on there. Also, keep those white and red pawns handy because placing those will help you do this last part correctly. You need to also remember that Taliban moving into Pashtun spaces may move again and if the movement is in those 2 Pashtun spaces in Pakistan and the Islamabad marker is at Backing or Sponsorship, the Taliban move in those spaces at no Resource cost. In fact, the reference to "origins" in the last part of the Non-Player Taliban March Op is acknowledgement that the initial moves into Pashtun spaces just before may be "continued" from those "origin" spaces into at least one more space, including another Pashtun space.

What I usually do for this last part of the Non-Player Taliban March Op move is to put the red pawns into spaces that could be such "origins" and then trace a path (if necessary also using red pawns) to potential qualifying destination spaces (and there can be only 2 of those for which I use the white pawns). (Think of this part of the Non-Player Taliban March Op move as "problem solving," something I've had to also do when, playing the Taliban, I've had to figure out the most Resource effective way to March G's and accomplish the objective, often lowering COIN Control before a Propaganda Round that will me certain loss at the initial 7.2 phase.) Usually, by employing both red and white pawns, you can adjust/figure out the least costly move in Resources that reaches the appropriate destination spaces (also must be where the Taliban have neither Control, nor Opposition), and which also meets the criteria of 8.1.2 for Marches. The hardest thing in this last part of the Non-Player Taliban March Op move is where I can move Taliban G's from multiple "origin" spaces; for that, you can use random die rolls, or if you want to speed the process up a bit, use equal numbers of G's from those "origin" spaces, again doing a random die roll if you need an odd number of G's (my reasoning is that, in most cases, the human player would typically use a balanced number of G's from multiple spaces).

I've done this Non-Player Taliban March Op move many times, but even then its a "chore" to do, and not something to do quickly either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Calpurino,

See my overview of the Non-Player Taliban March, but here's my response to your specific questions:

in the example from playbook, i see that taliban allocates a lone guerrilla in the LOC, because it would be activated if were 2 guerrillas. (cubes + warlords guerrilla + taliban guerrillas moving < = 3 to keep underground)

if the LOC has 3 pieces (2 cubes + 1 warlord guerrilla), does the non-player taliban allocate some (underground) guerrillas there? and if the guerrillas were previously active, does he?

Answer: YES, a maximum of 2 G's all turned to their "active" side, even if previously Underground

related with this:

for the first marchs (3rd bullet in the march box in the flowchart), i select randomly 2 adjacent spaces from origin spaces. i find "badakhshan", a space with 3 warlords guerrillas, some bases, and no-pashtun. so, if taliban march there, all them become active.

should i select another destination space to avoid they would become active (by 8.1.2, 4th bullet "march so as to get as many underground guerrillas as possible to the destination")?

Answer: YES on trying to select another destination, if possible to do so (would most likely be a Pashtun space), but if none are available, then Badakshan, with all Taliban G's activated (and as many as can March to that space, remembering that if you're at Backing or Sponsorship, you can also take those Taliban G's from either Pashtun space in Pakistan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks very much, Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.