Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Daft Punk Variant Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shred Head
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
These are the first cards I've made, and I hope you all enjoy them. I had a difficult time finding art, let alone any that was consistent, so if you have any better suggestions let me know. Also, I haven't play tested these yet since I was hoping to get some feedback first. I know they're not perfect, but if you see something of a glaring mistake just let me know and I'll fix it. I tried to make them balanced, but I don't know how the fusion effect will work out practically.

I tried to keep with the theme of Daft Punk cards interacting with other players.

New Keyword: Fusion - KO this card and the card that triggered the fusion effect. Gain the specified card to your discard pile. Any attack or recruit points created by the KO cards stay in effect.

This means that you will want to play both the Thomas and Guy heroes as two different hero groups, but keep the Daft Punk cards in a separate pile. Just choose the card that you need from that pile whenever you need it, but once they are gone then you can't activate the fusion effect anymore.

Thanks to Derare for the templates and all of the artists who created the original images I used!

Edit: Card Updates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickstrom
msg tools
mb
This is weird. I dont get it...who are these guys. Are they Marvel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome concept!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
This is a really interesting idea! I would love to see fusion or something similar used for Cloak and Dagger.

For those that don't know, Daft Punk is a two-man electronica band. You should check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwick503 wrote:

Have you been living under a rock for the last couple of years? shake

These guys are all over the place + on almost every radio station

About the cards, I think I'll be having a better look at them at home. Like the idea, like some of the card effects I've read so far, and if it plays nice I'll see if I can modify my Cloak & Dagger cards accordingly.

What about card amounts? and should you have a separate fusion deck? If you pull a bunch of cool fusion cards you can not recruit at the start of the game, this will lead to big frustrations, resulting in the cards becoming less attractive to include in a game. Flipping 2 fusion options below the HQ could help with that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derare wrote:
bwick503 wrote:

Have you been living under a rock for the last couple of years? shake

These guys are all over the place + on almost every radio station

No need to make personal comments like that. Not everyone listens to the same music and especially not everyone listens to the radio. That doesn't mean they live under a rock they just live a different life to you. But FWIW Discovery was the soundtrack to my 2001.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
derare wrote:
What about card amounts? and should you have a separate fusion deck? If you pull a bunch of cool fusion cards you can not recruit at the start of the game, this will lead to big frustrations, resulting in the cards becoming less attractive to include in a game. Flipping 2 fusion options below the HQ could help with that...

That is answered here:

Shredhead wrote:
This means that you will want to play both the Thomas and Guy heroes as two different hero groups, but keep the Daft Punk cards in a separate pile. Just choose the card that you need from that pile whenever you need it, but once they are gone then you can't activate the fusion effect anymore.

So yes, you will have a fusion deck (I would make it 14 cards as standard) and put Thomas and Guy in the hero deck.

Also, I now want to play a solo game with these two and the Dazzler cards that were posted the other day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shred Head
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Darth, that's what I intended, but the number of cards in the fusion deck may need some tweaking to balance it. I think having too many could push them to being OP, but as Derare said it could be frustrating to not be able to fuse, and I like the idea of Thomas and Guy being able to fuse whenever they are together.

I'd like see a fused daft punk icon on a dazzler card to activate some super combo effect.

I'm glad you guys are liking the idea. I know it's a bit out in left field to have these guys in the game.

Edit: I think the Cloak and Dagger cards got me thinking about this. It would be cool to see them use the same mechanic if it ends up working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the Fusion keyword. Sounds like a more refined version of something I was thinking about but never got around to creating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a serious design flaw in the fusion concept based on the power balance that the cards are currently showing. The fusion cards should almost all be of rare-level power to make fusion a logic step.

Example: to get "The game has changed", a player would need to recruit both uncommon cards of the two heroes at a cost of 5 and 6 recruit. Then that player would have to KO both relatively high cost cards for only 1 marginally better card than the originals... Besides bringing a cool mechanic that could be "fun" to play, gameplaywise it does not make a lot of sense to do...

Also: I don't see "One more time" come into play EVER... Not only is it extremely hard to get a hold of both rares (have to come out of the deck, cannot be recruited by other players,...), by buying the fused rare, you lose 2 rare cards, crippling your deck! The 'One more time' also drastically suffers from the respective power loss I explained earlier.

I still like the idea, but think it needs more tinkering...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shred Head
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
You only need one of the rare cards to get the fusion effect. You can play a common Thomas for example and then a rare Guy. This will trigger the fusion for one more time.

Edit: This adds a bit of strategy. For example, you could use a common + common to get "Human After All" or save the common for common+ uncommon to get "The Game Has Changed"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh ok, makes sense. Does take down the edge of the problem somewhat. Still, I think some of the fusions could use a little more pepper to rectify sacrificing 2 cards to get them.

One option could be to create the two individual hero's slightly weaker and thus cheaper cards. The fusions can then in turn be slightly more powerful since you're not only paying for the two cards, but also for the fusion trigger (a gamble that might not always go off the way you would want).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shred Head
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yeah, I can bump the abilities on the fused cards up a bit. I may just increase the attack and recruit points generated. Also, isn't having the abilities of 2 cards in 1 an advantage already since it in essence lets you have an extra card in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Albertson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think that the fusion cards are great, and should not be powered up. If you are going to change something, I would suggest it be lowering the power of the Guy and Thomas cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shred Head
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I made the following edits based on Darth and Derare's suggestions

Harder Better Faster Stronger: Reduced attack from 5 to 4

Rectifier: Reduced attack points gained for KOing a henchman from 3 to 2. Reduced cost from 6 to 5

Derezzed: Reduced attack points from 3 to 2

Other changes
Corrected text on Get Lucky to include top 2 cards of Villain deck as I originally intended

Corrected funny looking text on Human After All

Moved text in Digital Love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most ridiculous thing ever, and I mean that in the best way possible! Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you doing DeadMau5 next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Made a little rule sheet for anyone interested

Also a question about the fusion keyword. Would you gain 2 cards from fusing them, would the fusion trigger from both cards as they are KO'd or do you choose one card of the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.