Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: It just doesn't fit - recommendation request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Motola
msg tools
One of the things I like most about RPG/D&D games is the character development/advancement and the storylines.

I've been on the lookout for a game for a while now that would properly fill a desire I have in a game without success.

Descent: Journey's into the Darkness
I enjoyed this game quite a bit... as long as someone else played the evil overlord as I never want to role play an evil character doing evil actions. It had a decent amount of story/flavor text and decent though slow character development/advancement.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords
I recently obtained this and while I've enjoyed it, I'm now going to sell it as I've come to the firm conclusion that it too just doesn't... fit the need I'm trying to fill. It simply has little to no story line what so ever and the character development is quite slow.

Anyone know of a game out there that will either meet or better meet what I'm seeking?

+ Complex/Advanced character creation and advancement system including not only skills/attributes but also equipment/items
+ Quests/Storyline/npc with background and involvement
- Horror Genres
- Roleplaying as an evil character or creature
- Forced to play alternate gender in order to play a character type

Recommendations are sincerely invited

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound a little strange but... how about Risk Legacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it, but the two you've played are probably the two that best meet what you're looking for. There are a few others you can look into, but I don't know how much closer you can get in board games without going full RPG or computer RPG.

Myth hasn't come out yet, but might be the closest left to what you want. It will have progression and character building with different equipment, but is more of a system than a self-contained game, so you may be left to come up with your own quests, storyline, background, etc. (or get some from other fans).

Legends of Andor has great quests and story-based progression, but doesn't have complex/advanced character creation. There are just four classes (you can choose male/female for each). You can grow your character's skills/attributes and get equipment/items, but iirc, they don't carry over between scenarios.

Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games might also be worth looking at, though I haven't actually tried these. I heard they were lighter, so avoided them in favor of pathfinder, descent, etc.

Mice and Mystics is another lighter game that's probably not as deep as you're looking for, but it does have great quests & story, with a little character customization and progression.

Mage Knight Board Game - this one is probably furthest from what you want, but I can't help but mention my favorite game. It doesn't come with much in the way of storyline or background, but you can craft your own exciting narrative as you go through the different scenarios. The character advancement system has tons of variety, so your character can grow in wildly different ways each time you play. There's no linked scenarios, or ways to keeps progressing your character across multiple plays, though. You'll need to start fresh each time, and it might get frustrating once you finally get your character up to epic levels of power, the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes - the quest for a boardgame RPG. Sorry, it doesn't exist.

The solution depends on what your goal is - are you trying to get non-roleplaying friends to play something that feels like an RPG? Are you looking for something you can play solo? Are you looking for something that doesn't have a large out of game time investment? What aspects the a tabletop RPG are you willing to sacrifice?

The answer to these questions will determine what solution you would find acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game lets you play the way you want. If you want to evil, be evil. If you want to be good, be good. It has character progression, and development. It also has 40 pages of rules with small print because it is a complex game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's Tales of the Arabian Nights, which has a very strong story base to it, as well as characters changing - sometimes quite a lot - over the course of the game. It's definitely more of an experience than most games, and is really very fun.

You may also like league-based games, like Formula D with some variant rules or DreadBall: The Futuristic Sports Game/Blood Bowl (Third Edition), both of which are sports-based games where your team developes over the course of a season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a single game off hand that meets all of your criteria. Each of them fall short one way or another but here are three that I think you might find enjoyable:

A Touch of Evil
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Mice & Mystics

I think A Touch of Evil may be the closet to your requirements. I really enjoy the game a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necromunda or Mortheim - but you're leaving boardgame territory here, entering miniature gaming.
Plus, there is no more official support for these two systems and you need a lot of (ideally multi-story) terrain.

Good thing is that you should find the rulebooks somewhere on the web (Necromunda "died" being a freely available living rulebook) and you can use any miniatures that you find suitable - the (no longer available) official miniatures looked horrible anyway. But it's probably as close a fit as it can get regarding your "wishlist" without playing a full RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There might be a million gamers who would rip me a royal one with these suggestions but I can take it ... Both offer character advancement including weapons and items although I would not characterize them as advanced or complex and both offer a number of story lines of sorts with expansions. What they are not is cooperative but one can and is played solo. I can clearly see how both were greatly influenced and inspired by RPGs.

Talisman

Runebound - this can be played solo

Okay ... fire away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
(...)

Runebound - this can be played solo

Okay ... fire away!

How could I forget Runebound... very good suggestion. Not really a roleplaying game, but rather hack'n'slash transferred to a boardgame. Kill, level up, get new gear, kill some more, level up, ...
One of our all-time favorites - but quests do not really matter. They happen to be there sometimes, but why go questing and collect some healing herbs in a swamp when you can instead... kill even more monsters!

If that is what you are looking for, Runebound is a very solid choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.