Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one genre that I seem unable to satisfy - a good pirate game. I would love to find a game or separate games that would meet the following criteria:

1. A pirate game that plays well solo (I know about Blackbeard, but I have heard the rules are a mess and the new edition was a disappointment).

2. A Euro pirate game that plays well in about an hour and is low to mod complexity (I tied Pirate's Cove and was not enthralled).

Any thoughts on either or both of these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a great pirate game and a great pirate game that plays well solo are somewhat divergent pursuits, as solitaire suitability takes away a lot of tools that can be put to good use in a multiplayer pirate game (or any game, for that matter).

I'm not of the mind that a good solitaire pirate game has been made. For two or more players, though, I think Merchants & Marauders is about as good as it gets. You could try it solitaire - it might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Merchants & Marauders using Ingbert's Solo Variant is quite challenging and very fun. Since purchased M&M as gotten more plays with my group faster than any other game in my collection.arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The older AH version of Blackbeard is pretty good, especially solo. You're right about the rulebook not being great, but after a few readthroughs and actually playing the game it actually works. The rulebook is totally unintuitive (I find), but once you have learned it the game is good.

EDIT:

It does fail miserably on your second point... It is not Euro and unless you lose really fast it won't play in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.