Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Connections

Game Time: 1-2 minutes
Components: A recently completed game of Province and the included image (at right).

Setup
Play a game of Province. When the game ends, determine the winner normally. Then, set aside any unfulfilled Goal tokens, unplayed Sailor or Bonus Worker tokens, the two ship tokens, the Lending token, any unbuilt player structures, and the money bank. Players should only have their remaining money and any Goal tokens they acquired during the setup game. Slide the Worker and Sailor tokens off the board. Discard two of the green Worker tokens.

Do not disturb the Structures that were built. The winner may now optionally, and carefully, rotate the board 90 degrees clockwise, 90 degrees counter-clockwise, 180 degrees, or not at all. The loser may now flip the board either horizontally or vertically and then place the board back where it was among the built structures.

The Game
The loser may now choose from among the worker tokens that were now set aside. Match the token with one of the connecting lines moving horizontally across the board. Players get +1 connection point for each structure they own on the connecting line. If this is the red/blue connection line, each worker token in their color is worth +1 connection points. This is the player's preliminary connection point total.

Bidding: At this point, players may increase their point total. Each player takes money and/or Goal tokens into their hand. Players reveal their bids simultaneously and the connection is won by whichever player has the most connection points wins the connection. All money and Goal tokens bid are discarded at the end of the bid. Each $2 is work +1 connection point. Each Goal token is worth +1 connection point.

Play now alternates between the players for the remaining Worker tokens. If a matching worker token does not exist for a connection, that connection is not scored. Whoever wins the most connections, wins. In the case of a tie, the winner of the Province match wins.

Alternate Scoring: Treat this as a single game. Add the scoring in this game to the victory point totals in the original game to determine the winner of the combined game.

Notes: Yeah, there's not a lot of game here. A blow out game of Province will result probably in a blow out in this game. But it's (at least slightly) better than a blank card back.

Edit: titled the game 'Connections'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes totally sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
I hope that's not facetious. I literally woke up this morning with the idea for the board and flipping it after playing a normal game. The bidding element and the rotation element came while making the board. The mock play test revealed no obvious flaws, so obviously I've missed something critical. But, hey, it's certainly colorful!

I'm sure some folks are looking for another 20 minute microgame for the back but why not include a short "afterward" game that lasts but a minute or two. I'll post some game play images once I have time to make them. Work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Qunell
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am just daft but it doesn't make much sense to me. I am not a big fan of abstract games though so maybe that is why it is lost on me.

I do like the idea of putting something on the back of the board though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
HawkFan wrote:
Maybe I am just daft but it doesn't make much sense to me. I am not a big fan of abstract games though so maybe that is why it is lost on me.

I do like the idea of putting something on the back of the board though.

There are houses on the sides of the board at the end of the game. You count the houses connected to one another based on the color of the worker the player picks. You then increase this count with a blind auction. Winner of the most blind auctions wins.

I'm sure someone could come up with some kind of theme for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.