Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Pranger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-xt...

There you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be in it for sure, even if there are still 6+ teams I have to paint from the last DB KS.

Anyway, DB's a great game and I'll support it again this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
Funded in just over 30 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seeing how this was funded in 30 minutes, I just don't get why Slaughterball is still at about 50 percent of its funding goal.
If you have any interest in fantasy or science fiction football at all, you should really check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
Seeing how this was funded in 30 minutes, I just don't get why Slaughterball is still at about 50 percent of its funding goal.
If you have any interest in fantasy or science fiction football at all, you should really check it out!

Personally, I looked that over.
And it was a choice of known vs unknown.
And something too similar to something I already have.
My gaming collection is quite large.
With, over 100 games and expansions.

It's gotten to the point where something has to bring something really new to the table to make it into my collection from here forward.

Having dreadball, a table top soccer / football game, covers it for my personally
Not saying slaughter ball doesn't have its merits.
Just wouldn't be something dreadball is not. For me anyway. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I looked at Slaughterball too, but passed it up because I have a dozen teams for Dreadball already, and only 4 of them are painted. That said, I'm in for Xtreme as well. I very much enjoy the regular game and at this point I basically know I'm getting more of something I already like. Slaughterball actually looks really good too, so I hope it will find support and get released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:

Could be a few issues, saturation, another project that is far too me too, an unknown quantity?

I am sure Dreadball Xtreme will do well because it is building on a known commodity. It also helps that Dreadball feels like it is trying to emulate a real sport in the future. While Slaughterball on the other hand strikes me as.. I don't know.. more of just a miniatures game?

I see Bloodbowl and think Fantasy football (American Football for our friends over the pound!)!
I see Dreadball and Think of Lacrosse!

I see Slaughterball and scratch my head. It really seems like the "Sport" part of it was secondary and the mashing of miniatures dominates.

It also helps that Mantic delivered 12 teams and more on the way, Slaughterball has only... 4 teams I think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Glad Xtreme funded. More DB stuff

Grumsh wrote:
...It also helps that Mantic delivered 12 teams and more on the way, Slaughterball has only... 4 teams I think?

To compare base games, Slaughterball's base game comes with 4 teams where DB (which I love and have all teams but one for) has 2 teams.
Frog the What is approaching SB as more of a self-contained board game.
If you consider the games that way, the pricing comes in a lot more equal---though some SB expansion teams are possible if it funds well enough.

I watched the rules and components videos and found the thing to be a different approach than DB and it does several things to my preference.
I still am playing and collecting DB but SB is also high on my list.
YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
privateer4hire wrote:

Glad Xtreme funded. More DB stuff

Grumsh wrote:
...It also helps that Mantic delivered 12 teams and more on the way, Slaughterball has only... 4 teams I think?

To compare base games, Slaughterball's base game comes with 4 teams where DB (which I love and have all teams but one for) has 2 teams.
Frog the What is approaching SB as more of a self-contained board game.
If you consider the games that way, the pricing comes in a lot more equal---though some SB expansion teams are possible if it funds well enough.

I watched the rules and components videos and found the thing to be a different approach than DB and it does several things to my preference.
I still am playing and collecting DB but SB is also high on my list.
YMMV.

Ahh don't misconstrue that I am spouting on about a price comparisons, that becomes its own slippery slope!

These sports style games much like any kind of skirmish game really thrive on having multiple factions to play. I think Dreadball too would have fallen flat if it only promised 3 or 4 factions/teams/insert term here.

Slaughterball would do better I think with at least 8 advertised teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Gronlokk wrote:

Personally, I looked that over.
And it was a choice of known vs unknown.
And something too similar to something I already have.
My gaming collection is quite large.
With, over 100 games and expansions.

It's gotten to the point where something has to bring something really new to the table to make it into my collection from here forward.

Having dreadball, a table top soccer / football game, covers it for my personally
Not saying slaughter ball doesn't have its merits.
Just wouldn't be something dreadball is not. For me anyway. .

same here. I still have tons of Dreadball minis to be glued and painted. Just finished Zzor. I think this one is to similar and to early

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of Xtreme...

What am I doing here? I have no experience with the Dreadball franchise. I became a backer of Xtreme mainly because of its early success (I figure you guys know something I don't).

Can someone give me a gamer's snapshot of why Dreadball is popular, and tell me the actual difference in the original Dreadball and the new Xtreme?

I'm trying hard not to get "backer's remorse" about pledging $140 on another board game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
of why Dreadball is popular
I can't say how popular DB is (I'm the only player in my vicinity), but it's a awesome game nontheless.

DBX looks like a some bit more accessible sports boardgame to me (with no ref and all) and that's why I'm in for a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am moving back and forth between DreadBall Xtreme and Guild Ball.
Thematically Slaughterball is too close to the original DreadBall game, so that one I counted out.
Guild Ball has a cool theme, but is played like a tabletop wargame and I prefer hexagonal maps. Tokens and physical rulebook needs to be bought as an add-on, making production look cheap.
In the end I'll probably stick to DreadBall Xtreme since I already own the base game and knows the system.
Not enough gaming hours in my schedule to allow me to play all the games I want. Heck, not even all the games I own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Kelly

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1127976/dreadball-vs-dre...

That has the same question and a few answers so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmer
msg tools
Hopefully there are some answers there now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really interested in this game, and I like to go all-in on Kickstarters but I'm not seeing tha value in the Frenzy pledge level right now - is it sure to pick up?

Currently, Frenzy only gets the Speedball 2 MVP, acryllic counters, printed Season 4 rulebook and extra copies of two teams on top of the Rampage level - adding only $55 value to Rampage, at an additional cost of $225. How much more is there to come?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

They have planned a total of 12 teams to put out over the course of the campaign, which means that (assuming all the stretch goals are met - which I have no reason to believe they will not be, given the solid reception that the original Dreadball received) you're looking at $360 worth of teams, which are included in the base box), compared to the (IIRC) $120 dollars worth of teams that come with the Rampage level (2 each of the base set teams, 1 each of the Season 1/Season 4 teams, and (probably) 1 pick for each of the Season 2/5, and 3/6 teams).

That is excluding all of the other bits that you'll get along the way - such as the Dreadball Xtreme and Dreadball rulebooks (Seasons 2/3 and Seasons 4/5/6 respectively), the Acrylic Counters, and whatever other random stuff they feel like throwing in along the way (along the lines of the Cheerleaders and Coaches from DBO).

I know the value isn't there yet, but I fully expect it to be there by the end of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should maybe make it a bit clearer then. Without the goalposts in the distance it's hard to see what's coming up. If everyone who's currently in for 'Frenzy' dropped their pledge ro 'Rampage' and added-on the extras to make it up to the same level of product then the Kickstarter would lose ~$92,000.

It kinda needs to hit all its stretch goals to get enough added value to make the punt worthwhile and the rate of investment is slowing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While that is true, you have to balance out showing everything for the ultimate pledge level against parsing the stretch goals out over the course of the campaign to keep interest up and keep people coming in. This is also what tends to cause the significant uptick in the last 24-48 hours of a campaign like this - which many Miniatures based kickstarters double or even triple their totals up to that point.

This isn't the first kickstarter that Mantic has run, nor even the first one they've run for this game system. There is still another two weeks on this kickstarter for them to reveal goals and build up momentum. The value will be there, but it will take some time to get there (probably in the next week or so to balance out, then it will really explode in the last week).

And they did spell out what they expect to be in the Frenzy level about halfway through the video in update 10 (link to when they start talking about the Frenzy level):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmer
msg tools
Frenzy definitely isn't for the feint hearted. Those in at are Frenzy are likely to be KS veterans who have experienced a Mantic Kickstarter before. They tend to go big at the end, and Mantic wouldn't let them not get a deal

They have also confirmed its the only batch they're going to do.

Personally, if you're not sure, go in at Rampage. You get a great set of stuff, loads of free stretch goals and help break us some stretch goals. You could always get Frenzy later if it looks better value to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.