Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Cybersolutions valid replacement for consoles in faction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jardy koning
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I was having a discussion with a coworker yesterday about CSMC.

Basically i am of the belief that 1-2 of these neat little doodads in a Shaper deck can be a valid replacement for in-faction consoles (i.e. Toolbox) Particularly in decks that field a lot of support programs such as kit, exile and professor. Seeing as they run into memory problems generally before they run into money or link problems.

However i would go as far to say that some established Kate deck types could benefit from CSMC inclusion. Such as Kate ice destruction decks due to them running LOTS of low cost programs.

I am aware that in any of these decks a splashed Desperado or Grimoire would generally be better. I'm simply speaking of in-faction solutions.


Opinions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
N7teslapunk wrote:
I was having a discussion with a coworker yesterday about CSMC.

Basically i am of the belief that 1-2 of these neat little doodads in a Shaper deck can be a valid replacement for in-faction consoles (i.e. Toolbox) Particularly in decks that field a lot of support programs such as kit, exile and professor. Seeing as they run into memory problems generally before they run into money or link problems.

However i would go as far to say that some established Kate deck types could benefit from CSMC inclusion. Such as Kate ice destruction decks due to them running LOTS of low cost programs.

I am aware that in any of these decks a splashed Desperado or Grimoire would generally be better. I'm simply speaking of in-faction solutions.


Opinions?


Totally agree. Shaper consoles are still kind of meh, and splashing a console isn't always viable. If you're playing a deck that needs a lot of MU, this is going to be a great card for Shapers.

Professor is the first ID that comes to mind.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
My Kate deck incorporates 2 Desperados and two Cybersolutions. It's totally viable.


(My rig that justifies its inclusion is Corroder, Cyber Cypher, Femme, a couple Atman, 2 Datasuckers, a Parasite, SMC, and Sharpshooters for early aggression. Aside from Femme, they're dirt cheap; I think I can afford 4c for 2 mem.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
I don't usually put a console in my deck because I need memory; I put them in because I want +1 credit on a successful run, or recurring credits for icebreakers, or +2 icebreaker strength. The memory they provide is useful, but I think Desperado would still see play even if it provided no memory. Comparing against in-faction consoles, Dinosaurus is 1 credit more and grants the icebreaker it hosts +2 strength, not just (up to) 2 memory. The Toolbox gives recurring credits and link.

None of which is to say there's never a reason to put CSMC in a deck, but I don't think it could be considered a straight-up replacement for a console, even in-faction - rather, it's an option for decks that don't need a console, or want to supplement a console, like Lysander's example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
Avatar
mb
CSMC strikes me as very weak, simply because most decks that need it are unlikely to be good. Most good decks don't need more than 5 memory; most decks that need more than 5 memory are bad.

It might have a role in Parasite-based Shaper decks, or in Stealth decks if and when that becomes a thing, but most normal decks really don't need it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the main reasons that decks that require so much memory are weak is because they have to rely on the current cardpool for MU. akamatsus, dysons, toolbox.

this card lets you get some more memory with only one card. it would possibly allow you run fewer memory cards overall and allow your deck to play more of the cards that help you actually win.

It will make some decks better, and continues to open options for larger MU usage. I don't know if those decks are going to be top tier.

it doesn't take much to run out of space if you want to play cards like magnum opus and datasuckers.

I think it is a good way to think of it as an in faction console. dinosaurus if played later requires a scavenge, which can be huge in so many other cases. toolbox is expensive if you need it now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tollbooth? DO you mean Toolbox?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brodee ee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Tollbooth? DO you mean Toolbox?

heh, yea
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems too expensive for what it is...then again, if you don't want to spend influence in Shaper for a real console, I guess you are stuck with this or paying 5 more for Toolbox.

However, you get a LOT more with Toolbox.

I guess one cool thing about CyberSolutions Mem Chip is that you can get it out fast, and then (theoretically) throw down 3 SMCs at once.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
It just seems too expensive for what it is...then again, if you don't want to spend influence in Shaper for a real console, I guess you are stuck with this or paying 5 more for Toolbox.

However, you get a LOT more with Toolbox.

I guess one cool thing about CyberSolutions Mem Chip is that you can get it out fast, and then (theoretically) throw down 3 SMCs at once.


I have TOTALLY had hands like that. Super annoying, actually. But I'm sure the Corp doesn't like it either, so I guess it's a wash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I guess in Shaper if you throw something that is 2 MU on Dinosaurus, you can negate the MU cost there as well. But the use is much more limited.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Avatar
fetterkey wrote:
CSMC strikes me as very weak, simply because most decks that need it are unlikely to be good. Most good decks don't need more than 5 memory; most decks that need more than 5 memory are bad.

It might have a role in Parasite-based Shaper decks, or in Stealth decks if and when that becomes a thing, but most normal decks really don't need it.


Yes, Parasite Shaper decks often want 6 MU if the corp manages to stabilize--especially if you're splashing Keyhole. It's nice to have a couple Atmans and datasuckers, and maybe Inti now that Wraparound is out, and still be able to drop your last SMC. 3 Akumatsus do the trick just fine, but there is something to say with installing 1 CSMC and being done with it. And you'd only need 2 CSMCs vs 3 Akumatsus.

I still wouldn't do it though becuase Akumatsus are perfect Power Shutdown fodder, and installing them on the fly with Kate's ability hardly breaks your tempo at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I might do replace the 3 memory chips with 2 in my Kit/workshop deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.