Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished learning the game. After the videos (Richard Ham and Joel Eddy), and reading the rules multiple times - I was ready to prove to myself that I knew how to play.

I played a very deliberate game where I was representing all 3 players. I tried to act as I would if each player were an opponent.

Final scores:
1st = 104
2nd = 101
3rd = 80

Only the 3rd place player had any pirates, as the others were able to get rid of 3 and 6 each in the final round.

It seems as though the play was smooth, and that the players had room to do what they wanted.

Are these about the right scores for a 1st(2nd and 3rd) time play?

Oh yeah - FUN game. It has just the right amount of public information mixed with randomness. This allows for a strategic plan, with tactical alterations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Hoping to play a 3 or 4 player game tomorrow. Will try to remember the scores and report back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those scores are consistent with the three player game I played last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Taught a couple of new players. Winning 3 player score was 93. The new players were 20-30 behind.

I'm thinking about teaching players that averaging 10-12 points for each of the scoring cards is the minimum to compete for a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
In my session last night win was decided on the tie-braker with both 1st and 2nd player having scored 85 points each!
The third player reached around 70 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
framebrain wrote:
Hoping to play a 3 or 4 player game tomorrow. Will try to remember the scores and report back!

4P game:

First place (not me): 97
2nd: ?
3rd: ?
Last place (me): 64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First full game. 2 players had played a tryout game before, but had made many errors in the first game, something we weeded out completely for this 3p game.

Winner (me) had 111
2nd 106
3rd 93

Scores would have been closer had the 3rd player passed earlier in the 4th round. He now got stuck with a scoring tile that gave him 0 points in stead of the 15 he planned for.

What's more, I read several threads where people suggested that there might be something wrong with the pirate token penalty. This game shows that this might not be true.

Midway through the game I realized that I would either be struggling to stay close to 0 in pirates (wasting actions in doing so), or I could just accept the 16 points loss, get as many ships and people on the board and just try to keep my pirate tokens below 20. The other 2 players tried and managed to stay at 0 and wasted additional workers and actions doing so.

Not having to worry at all about feeding my people and gathering wood, I could leave the city relatively empty, and focus on getting lots of wine (for colonies) and other resources and also focus on getting workers in the city watch to not let the pirate token gain get too excessive and to get many bonus points there

I ended the game scoring 127 points.
I think it was: 91 from the 6 contracts, 16 from city watch majorities, 12 from the 3vp tile in the colonies, 6 from moving 3 workers to the colonies, 1 from putting a worker in the city and 1 from 5 money left at the end of the game.

Of course I should not have been allowed to dominate the city watch, but if they had competed with me there it would have probably hurt their scores as well.

They might have been better off gathering pirate tokens as well and accepting the negative points, but the later you do that, the less likely you're able to benefit from it. And then it might turn into a counting game where you have to figure out where you stand in the pirate token ranking.

Great game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robertopellizini wrote:

12 from the 3vp tile in the colonies, 6 from moving 3 workers to the colonies

Do you mind if you explain this, I think I misunderstood something?

After you score a King's Reward (like the 3PP one), you discard it. You score it only once. The remaining 9PP you got by sending workers into the colonies while you had ships in there, right?
But how about the 6PP you made by moving workers into the colonies then?

Thanks! Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
coroner wrote:
robertopellizini wrote:

12 from the 3vp tile in the colonies, 6 from moving 3 workers to the colonies

Do you mind if you explain this, I think I misunderstood something?

After you score a King's Reward (like the 3PP one), you discard it. You score it only once. The remaining 9PP you got by sending workers into the colonies while you had ships in there, right?
But how about the 6PP you made by moving workers into the colonies then?

Thanks! Great game!

The Kings Rewards are the tiles in the Colonies. These are not discarded but stay there. They can be chosen again and again.

The Crown's Requests are scored in Phase of Round 1, 3, and 5. They are discarded after scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkpact wrote:

The Kings Rewards are the tiles in the Colonies. These are not discarded but stay there. They can be chosen again and again.

Oh my, I played 3 times this game and we always discarded the King's Reward. For us, it was like a race who gets there first to score the rewards. This missed rule changes the game quite a bit for us!!

Thank you! Wow... I can't believe I missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4-player game last night winner scored in the high 70,s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Kramer
msg tools
mbmbmb
I won with 117 in my first game, a 4 player game. And I didn't take any pirates the whole game. I put 3 workers in region 2 very early so I got the better building bonuses for that and got a lot of resources from the city, along with scoring two of the urbanization achievements with the most points. Building costs in region 2 were generally pretty low as well since they usually filled up and I could get 3 points for the city placement action even if I didn't want to move more workers there. Then I diversified more to meet other crown requests. I'm a bit worried that strategy is always going to work really well because then I'd just be bored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
jinkaze0 wrote:
I'm a bit worried that strategy is always going to work really well because then I'd just be bored.
I am still new to the game myself, but my sense is that no strategy will always work very well, because the other players can always make life difficult for you. To the extent that there is a universally effective strategy, I think it would be to focus on whatever the other players are ignoring. The less you have to compete for something, the more you can accomplish overall. But of course, among experienced players, everyone will be aware of this, and thus you are unlikely to be permitted to exploit some scoring path without opposition.

This is mainly speculation on my part, based in my limited plays of the game and reading posts in the forum here. Time will tell if it's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls