Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a simple variant where each person controls two characters each then when someone triggers the haunt that person becomes the trader and the other takes control of the remaining characters. Is this a viable variant? Does it work well? Anyone that enjoys this with two please report or if you tried and hated it let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried that.. I have played it 2 player, with each person only controlling 1 character. Didn't really need any modifications or anything, it worked out pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
There is a simple variant where each person controls two characters each then when someone triggers the haunt that person becomes the trader and the other takes control of the remaining characters. Is this a viable variant? Does it work well? Anyone that enjoys this with two please report or if you tried and hated it let me know.

I just played it like this because I was desperate to play the game. I was really happy with how it turned out. I suspect I would enjoy it much more with more players, but it worked better than I expected.

Keeping track of multiple characters is a little bit of hassle and becomes more of a hassle for the non-haunt player when the haunt is revealed. That player then controls 3 characters. Even considering all this, I still had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works great where each controls 2 player then u just take over he other non haunt character...we had a blast doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you both like the game, it works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played using that variant and it works very well. I think a lot of haunts don't work well with 2 or 3 characters, but 2 each works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't work for the haunts where the traitor is supposed to be hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a player who has been through all the haunts could post a list of the haunts that won't work this way. There are specific rules that allow you to substitute haunts in case you get one you've already finished.

Great idea for a variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

True, but you can just use the Selecting the Haunt rule if one of those comes up.

The Haunt Chart is all you need to see which Haunts would or wouldn't work. Just avoid the Hidden Traitor and No Traitor Haunts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

About half of my games have been played this way, and it works fine IMO. Better that just one character for each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

But once the haunt is revealed isn't the trade always known anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
esswhy wrote:

But once the haunt is revealed isn't the trade always known anyway?

There are a couple of haunts where after the haunt is revealed, the traitor is still hidden. You pass out markers to each player and everybody looks at their own to determine the traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
There is a simple variant where each person controls two characters each then when someone triggers the haunt that person becomes the trader...

My girlfriend and I play this way frequently, and it works well. It's a lot of fun. However, we seldom use the "trader" character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spencer_myers wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
There is a simple variant where each person controls two characters each then when someone triggers the haunt that person becomes the trader...

My girlfriend and I play this way frequently, and it works well. It's a lot of fun. However, we seldom use the "trader" character.

If you do, you can sell one more good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
esswhy wrote:

True, but you can just use the Selecting the Haunt rule if one of those comes up.

The Haunt Chart is all you need to see which Haunts would or wouldn't work. Just avoid the Hidden Traitor and No Traitor Haunts.

There are also one or two Haunts which start with one traitor, but have the possibility for heroes to join the traitor's side. In that case, you could just hand over control of the character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.