Subject: Strange usage of comment sections rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it only me, but sometimes I'm a little confused by the way people use the comment section.

There's lots of cryptic entries with hardly any use for the community. I thought the intention of this section was to share your thoughts about a game with other BGG Users in the first place. Some people misuse the comment section to keep track of personal stuff, instead of leaving helpful information and thoughts about the game itself. Actually it doesn't bother me who kickstarted what or who owns an unwrapped copy of game XY. There are separate sections (Personal Info or wishlist comment) for that.

No offense, but I'm feeling kind of bored of scrolling through hundreds of comments to a game reading nothing else but "kickstarted" or stuff like that.

I'm not saying that all of my own comments are useful to others. But I always try to give some impression of what I experienced when playing a game or why I like or dislike a particular game.

Is anyone else feeling the same or am I just too demanding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam 'Fenn' Fenton
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
200 Geekgold and all I got was this lousy Overtext
badge
Oooh - I got this Overtext too!
mbmbmbmbmb
forza_sge75 wrote:
Is it only me, but sometimes I'm a little confused by the way people use the comment section.

There's lots of cryptic entries with hardly any use for the community. I thought the intention of this section was to share your thoughts about a game with other BGG Users in the first place. Some people misuse the comment section to keep track of personal stuff, instead of leaving helpful information and thoughts about the game itself. Actually it doesn't bother me who kickstarted what or who owns an unwrapped copy of game XY. There are separate sections (Personal Info or wishlist comment) for that.

No offense, but I'm feeling kind of bored of scrolling through hundreds of comments to a game reading nothing else but "kickstarted" or stuff like that.

I'm not saying that all of my own comments are useful to others. But I always try to give some impression of what I experienced when playing a game or why I like or dislike a particular game.

I figure it's a personal comment for an item in someone's collection. That is, it's the comment field that appears when you look at someone's colleciton.

If I want to see opinions, there are ratings and reviews and session reports. And videos. And sometimes some quite creative images (photos/comics/etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like you can leave yourself a personal note about a game. If there was a field for private note to self about a game and then a public comment about a game, you probably would see a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the public comments section ought to be information useful to the community, and personal notes ought to be in the private information section.

But I don't think it's worth the time or effort to enforce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
poke450 wrote:
It's not like you can leave yourself a personal note about a game. If there was a field for private note to self about a game and then a public comment about a game, you probably would see a huge difference.

You can and there is.

My guess is that like Benjamin, a lot of users simply don't know about this option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Although it doesn't bother me how other people use comments, I see things the same way as Oliver:

Comments - my opinion for public consumption.

Wishlist comments - semi-public notes (mainly for me) like "Essen 2014" (my equivalent of "Kickstarter", I guess).

Trade Condition - semi-public comments (mainly for me) listing expansions owned, etc.

Private Info / Comments - truly private comments about a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swampers wrote:
forza_sge75 wrote:

I figure it's a personal comment for an item in someone's collection. That is, it's the comment field that appears when you look at someone's colleciton.

If I want to see opinions, there are ratings and reviews and session reports. And videos. And sometimes some quite creative images (photos/comics/etc).

The comment you leave in the comment section of your collection is exactly the same that everyone else finds when viewing the comments to a particular game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I think the public comments section ought to be information useful to the community, and personal notes ought to be in the private information section.

But I don't think it's worth the time or effort to enforce.

Probably you're right. It's not worth the effort. I was just wondering...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

My guess is that like Benjamin, a lot of users simply don't know about this option.

I learned something today. Thanks for the posts. Honestly never knew this...I thought comments were just my random thoughts and musings about my collection. However with 500+ games it will take quite a bit of time to correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

I learned something today. Thanks for the posts. Honestly never knew this...I thought comments were just my random thoughts and musings about my collection. However with 500+ games it will take quite a bit of time to correct.

Maybe it wasn't too pointless to open that thread then ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

I did not. I've been tracking that information in a spreadsheet... Interesting that you can do it on BGG directly.

Can you view this info from the owned games list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

I did not. I've been tracking that information in a spreadsheet... Interesting that you can do it on BGG directly.

Yes, you can. Go to "Collection" / "Columns" and mark "Private Info"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I never knew about this either!

Question:

Is it possible to have on your profile page a visual representation of your most recent acquisitions, in the same way that many users (including me) show off their Top 10, Hot 10, and Recently Played games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

News to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
forza_sge75 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Awesome. I'll update my games, albeit it slowly.

OTOH, I'm not really sure what to expect of comment fields, then. Currently, I'm mostly using it to make which games use generic bases (poker/bridge card deck games, games that use Icehouse pieces, dominoes, etc.); that seems to make sense for general comments, as there isn't any other field to mark things like that (to my knowledge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
marphod wrote:
OTOH, I'm not really sure what to expect of comment fields, then.
The common usage is to use it for leaving a light-weight review of the game; a determination of why you rate the game as you do. This is also what's mostly looked for by those people who heavily use the geekbuddy system for getting feedback on what games to get: Insightful comments to accompany each rating.

But really, as with all such systems, use it in whatever way makes most sense to you, and which give you personally the biggest benefit.
Trying to proscribe to others how to use such a system is an exercise in futility. BGG will reap the value of the wisdom of the crowds regardless of how many people "mis-use" the field, while there'll always be more people writing 'incomprehensible' or 'useless' comments to mess up the idealistic worldview in which we'd all have perfect understanding of the possibilities of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Lemonde
Canada
St-Hyacinthe
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.dragonsnocturnes.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
In december 2007, when I registered in BGG, I remember that the "private info" section did not exist but I don't remember when it was added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verglas wrote:
In december 2007, when I registered in BGG, I remember that the "private info" section did not exist but I don't remember when it was added.
I went searching and found July 2008 as an answer

Major Site Update - User Collection System Overhaul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not aware of the private comments section so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Most of my comments are for public reading but a couple are really private collection notes. I shall move them now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to continue to read whatever 'comment' I have about whatever games I feel like commenting on. Oh my.

Perhaps you should be clicking 'reviews.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed comments were the only way to write whatever I thought about the game, be it "kickstartered" etc.

Now that I know there is another option I don't think I will change since comments is the default setting on how to look at 'my collection'. Too inconvenient to change over currently, not ruling it out for the future though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
forza_sge75 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

Cool I didn't know about this feature. I do have some private comments (price paid etc) that would be nicer to separate out from general comments about the game.

I think the only reason I WOULDN'T use that Private Info feature is if I can't get it to show up on default every time I look at my collection via "owned". Is there a way to permanently have it displayed? I don't want to have to click the checkbox every time. Otherwise I'll just lump them in the public comments as I've been doing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Meub
Germany
Nidda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
forza_sge75 wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
frumpish wrote:
poke450 wrote:

You can and there is.

Cool I didn't know about this feature. I do have some private comments (price paid etc) that would be nicer to separate out from general comments about the game.

I think the only reason I WOULDN'T use that Private Info feature is if I can't get it to show up on default every time I look at my collection via "owned". Is there a way to permanently have it displayed? I don't want to have to click the checkbox every time. Otherwise I'll just lump them in the public comments as I've been doing...

You can customize the look of your "reports" and save current views for later use. So you don't have to customize it over and over again. You can also add different saved views to the Quickbar for quick access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Yes, there is a permalink in the top right of the screen, then just add it to your quickbar. I use private info to track what I have paid for each game. Just don't tell my wife about it, OK.

As far as the regular comments sections goes, I say write whatever you want, they're your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Feel free to continue to read whatever 'comment' I have about whatever games I feel like commenting on. Oh my.

Perhaps you should be clicking 'reviews.'

I actually find the comments section much more interesting and useful (not to mention faster) when looking at a new game, I tend to read the 6's 7's and 8's to get an idea of whether or not I'd even be interested in reading reviews.
Having said that I certainly won't be beating your door down demanding you improve the usefulness of your comments for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.