Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Crew Card: The Rookie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Here's a new type of Crew, with thanks to Gwek who let me use the image he created.

The Rookie

This is a new Crew card intended to represent those wide-eyed ingenues who have their eyes on the stars and their heads in the clouds.

There is an infinite supply of Rookies available at each Supply planet; a Player can always hire as many Rookies as wanted, up the number of Crew the ship can support. Rookies cost $100 to hire (except for Nandi), have no Skill to start, but may carry and use Gear. The Rookie cards form their own separate Supply deck, one that be accessed by any Player taking a Buy action at any Supply planet. A Player may always consider one Rookie card in addition to the normal number of cards drawn during a Buy action; if a Player wants to consider more than one Rookie card in the same Buy action then the extra Rookie cards do count against the limit for Supply cards drawn.

Rookies have two special abilities:

EXPENDABLE: When Killed, discard the Rookie to the Rookie deck; do not remove the card from the game.

LEARNING CURVE: When Rookies are paid their Cut after a Job, place the $100 beneath the Rookie card. When $500 has been accumulated beneath one Rookie, as a free Action the Player can put that $500 in the bank and roll one die on the LEARNING CURVE table.

1-2 Fight
3-4 Tech
5-6 Negotiate

The Rookie immediately begins to function as a Crew card with that Skill. Put a marker on the Rookie card to show what Skill the Rookie has learned (we use those little Post-It flags). If the Rookie is Killed after learning a Skill they are still EXPENDABLE; remove the Skill marker and discard the Rookie to the Rookie Supply deck.

Players may not Pay a Rookie more than their Cut of $100 per Job completed.

Rookies may only use the LEARNING CURVE table once; they may not learn a second skill, or a second level of the same skill.

Rookies count as Crew in all other ways: they may be Disgruntled, may Jump Ship if Disgruntled twice, may benefit from Medic rolls, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's a fun idea. If I hadn't already filled up the text on my "Kid" cards, I would consider stealing it.

One thing you might want to think about is letting the player select the skill rather than rolling randomly. 5 jobs is a lot to invest in a Crew only to find "Oh, great, 13 skill instead of 12..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternate method for skills:

When the rookie participates in a successful skill test, roll one die. On a 6, gain one of the skill used for that test. Rookies can only have one skill point.

Gives you a chance to get some on-the-job training when you have those encounters in the Deep Black.

If you really want to encourage people to take Rookies, allow a roll when you fail the test by one, and if the Rookie skills up he/she saved the day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like that idea. too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very neat idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Osmanski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
selenite wrote:

If you really want to encourage people to take Rookies, allow a roll when you fail the test by one, and if the Rookie skills up he/she saved the day!

I like this idea as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.