United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Just finishing up my first two games in the GCACW series. I played Cedar Mt. two times via PBeM and had a good time. I have a question about the campaign system. It doesn't appear like there is any connection between the scenarios when going through the campaign, meaning how I perform on one scenario has no bearing on the next scenario. Is this correct or am I missing something?

This game reminds me a lot of an old computer game I used to play called Civil War Generals http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/m/668998. The only thing missing is the ability to upgrade your units between scenarios. You were awards points to spend based on whether or not you achieved major or minor victories, etc. In the computer game you would upgrade mainly cannons or firearms, which would seem to be represented via manpower in this game. Maybe you can point me to a variant that has been created for something like this. I understand it might throw off the balance of the scenarios, and I probably wouldn't want to play like this all the time. Just thought it might be a fun way to tie in some of the scenarios of a game, or even key battle over multiple games of the GCACW series.

Anyway. I had fun with the system and am looking forward to playing it some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, David! The "campaign system" is really comprised of the "Advanced Rules" scenarios within each module. These advanced rules scenarios are standalone . . .

In All Green Alike, the "campaign" scenario is Scenario 7 - which consists of the Bull Run Campaign (or the Virginia Campaign) of 1861, climaxing historically with the Battle of Bull Run and ending with the Union retreat back to Washington. This campaign is a very manageable one from the perspective of numbers of units, rules overhead, and scenario length (just 14 turns).

In Stonewall Jackson's Way, Scenario 8 covers a short 8 turns (8 days), in August of 1862.

Having now reviewed these two scenarios, I am wondering if we might have a Skirmisher module on Lee's initial assignment: fighting in West Virginia against McClellan. I think it would make a grand, fun, shorter campaign, in the same vein as the two above.

But there is no "campaign mode" in GCACW . . . the scenarios do not link together in any meaningful way - they are standalone. I have yet to try the Advanced Rules of any module, but I think All Green Alike provides an excellent introduction. Several GCACW veterans say the game really shines in these "fully operational" scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Haskell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Advanced Rules Campaign Scenarios are more like a real campaign than any group of linked scenarios. The players maneuver their forces in an attempt to achieve operational goals instead of racking up points for winning battles. I played a solo game of the Maryland Campaign and the climactic battle happened near Frederick as the Rebs decided to make a stand at the river. I saw a series replay of the Gettysburg Campaign that culminated in a massive battle near York. A "campaign" scenario of linked battles actually gives a false impression of the operational level. Wars are not decided by who wins the most battles, but who wins the most important campaign objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.