Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: card pack question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've noticed that in most cases the early war deck runs out at the end of the deal on the third turn. on turn four as we start the mid-war do we just deal the mid-war deck or should we add the discard pile?
The thing is, before we actually break out the mid-war deck there are no cards in the deck, just a pile of discards. the vast majority of those cards will not be dealt again, including the scoring cards.
Or, am I missing something? (I usually am).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as the deck is exhausted, you resuffle the discards to form a new deck (rule 4.3, I think). At the beginning of turn 4, you shuffle the mid-war cards into the existing deck.

In most of the games I have played, we end up needing to re-shuffle the discards in order to complete the deal on turn 3.

If you complete the deal on turn 3 and then have zero cards left, the discard pile becomes the new deck (which means the cards you play on turn 3 won't get shuffled back in).

If you complete the deal on turn 3 and have 1 or more cards left, the mid war cards will get shuffled with the existing cards (few though they may be) at the beginning of turn 4, and the discards won't be added until the new deck is exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
There are 39 cards in the Early War deck with optionals.

16 are dealt in Turn 1.

If USSR played the China card in Turn 1, no cards were otherwise discarded and UN intervention wasn't played, 13 cards are dealt in Turn 2.

There can thus be at most 10 cards left in the draw pile at the beginning of Turn 3, and if the US played the China card in Turn 2, no discards etc., at least 13 cards will be dealt on Turn 3.

Thus, there will always be a reshuffle at the beginning of Turn 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
big oops! from me. I have only been dealing 7 cards on the first turn and 6 on the subsequent turns. I have been confusing myself by looking at the turn track which states "6 action rounds", so I've not been allowing for the headline phase. in effect I've been reducing the game by 1 action round each turn. This could be why the game plays faster than I thought it would.
(may also be my excuse for losing so regularly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
Thus, there will always be a reshuffle at the beginning of Turn 3.

Thanks for this Kristian. I thought the question was odd because that was my experience, but I also don't play with optionals, so I wasn't sure if that changed things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an add to the topic, being aware of what the guys have said above is sort of the game play, because holding/discarding some cards etc so they don't/do recycle in the round shuffles is a strategy in it's own right.

There are plenty of post that explain it better than I could here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.