Popular Tags: [View All]
Marguerite Cottrell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found that the game does not provide enough of a way to kill people. The mechanic of getting the right card and then hoping for the correct dice rolls is really punishing. This is bordering on unplayable.

I propose:

When taking a minor military action, one population from the minor country should be eliminated, helping further the games progression. When a player takes a minor occupation away from another player, the dead population should go to the defender.

This was after just one play, but i'd like to examine alternatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give it a couple more plays before tinkering. Doing extra death on minor powers from invasions will also affect end game scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
Marguerite: The first suggestion I would make is that you should be using biological attacks more / nuclear attacks less! If players are spending more of their available actions on Cyber and Espionage, then you're not whittling down the global population quickly enough.

How many players did you have in your game? I just played a game last night with five, and I didn't think that our "infection" rolls were all that great. We still managed to finish in eight rounds. I suspect that if you're only playing with four people, then the stated game length of nine rounds could be a little tight. If you were going to change anything while your group gets acclimated to the game, then I would suggest adding one more Event card to the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Molesworth
Australia
Glenhaven
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group are very experienced Euro/strategy gamers.

The first play was interesting but from a gameplay perspective somewhat disappointing. I believe it has lots of potential and that a number of adjustments to the game could improve it greatly.

On a first play, we found the "nukes" to be so underpowered, or with too negative repercussions, that they were rarely used.

Overall, the game needs more variety on the de-population actions. For example:

1. Have some extra cards in your hand to select from: Possibly destroying vital infrastructure (eg dams/power stations)with conventional weapons, or neutron bombs, or creating civil disturbance etc.

2. Increase the effect of the nukes to at least 2 kills and maybe a single radiation kill in one adjoining region to simulate wind direction for fallout. The nukes are too weak relative to the biologicals.

3. Have more retaliatory potential for nukes.

4. Have bonus card effects to enhance a biological attack to a higher virulence, by reducing the dice roll to spread, or increasing the number of kills or spreading to a second outer wave of adjoining regions.

5. Extra bonus effect cards to be able to "genetically" target a biological attack to double the effect on a chosen country, or make a chosen adjoining country immune/resistant to the bio attack.

6. More bonus cards. Players to start with one or two from the Yellow deck, then draw another when they kill more than two/three meeples in a turn.

We haven't tried any of these suggestions yet, but I'd be interested in other people's thoughts.

Kind regards,

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also found it easy to get population down below the required level by the beginning of turn 8 in a 5-player game, so could certainly have finished in time even with only 4 players.

We only used one nuke the whole game though (plus a neutral one automatically triggered by an event card), which makes a difference, since you are moving in the wrong direction on the death track every time you detonate one. Maybe you are nuking too much and threatening too little?

My understanding is that nukes in this game are used more for brinksmanship diplomacy and much less for population reduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.