Subject: which game(s) within top 50 will you give a 5(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
I gave TI3 a 5. I think I wasted 100 dollars on a loose,random, random, random, time comsuming game by casting dices occasionally. What's your "favorite" 5 candidate(s)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
Them's fighting words! Off with yer head! *runs to grab pitchfork*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit 1.5, King of Tokyo 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy.. all of those I'd rate under a 5. Popular with some people, I'd rather spend the time at work, cleaning, organizing my sock drawer, you name it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't seem to have rated any game within the BGG top 50 a "5". The lowest rating that I have given a BGG top 50 game is "6.5" to Railways of the World.

2. If by "TI3", you mean this game, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), then all I can say is "I disagree". TI3 is perhaps the most epic game I own, and one of the few that I will still sit at a table for 7 or 8 hours to play. I promise you, better play wins out every time, despite the apparent "randomness". I will say, however, that for this game to really shine, you should get the expansion, Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire. I would also suggest using the "Age of Empires" variant included in the rules, which requires all public objectives to be revealed from the start. This helps limit the random feel you experienced, and allows players to formulate more coherent, long term strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Oliveira
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
Battlestar Galactica, The Resistance: Avalon and Pathfinder Adventure Cardgame, I really hated them, despite everyone else loving these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
5's or lower:

Eclipse
Power Grid
Mage Knight Board Game
The Castles of Burgundy
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Trajan
Stone Age
Goa
Troyes
Keyflower
and
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola, Le Havre, 7 Wonders, and a couple more are all games I rank under a 5. Agricola's family game is far better than the advanced but no matter what the game is an exercise in futility. Le Havre is the most overblown, heavy resource game that you have to follow specific strategies to do any good and you never get to do what you want to. 7 Wonders though is the worst, non-game I have ever played. There is zero strategy involved and it comes down to pure random card draw. When the dummy can win, it's crap. When you can pick a strategy of choosing the 3 card every time and do well, it's crap. Among the Stars is a bajillion times better when it comes to a drafting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Coulombe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Are you Alive?
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, I only played 16 games out of the 100 best rated games on BGG. Among these games, the lowest score is 6 and it goes to Mice and Mystics and The Resistance. However, this score could go up. For both, I did not enjoy much my play, but I only tried them once and each of our games was rushed due to time constraints. I could see Mice and Mystics go up to 7, maybe even 8, but I do not think that Resistance will go up much.

Then there is Pandemic at 6.5... The game wasn't that fun for me. i am an alpha gamer and even when I try not to lead other people, I just see the right strategy. I usually love coop games, especially if there is a traitor (maybe because it reduces the alpha gamer impact), but pandemic was too much of me against the board. The expansion might make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have LoW rated a 6 because my husband and BFF like it but I seriously have no idea why people are so in love with this game. I personally think it's more like a 3 or 4. The components are nice but the game is soooooo mind numbingly boring.snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

neither in the top 50

but if KoT was, it'd be the only thing in there that I'd rate a 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Woodcock
United States
PHILADELPHIA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is Android Netrunner - I love the theme but the game just didn't work for me.

Maybe I'll try again one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android Netrunner - Game is not bad, but I just don't like it.
Descent 2nd Ed. - Wrong label: It's an action point management game with miniatures, not a dungeon crawl. And if I want to play action point management there are so many better games. Really surprised it's in the top 50
Crokinole (5.5) - Not broken, but definitely nothing I ever suggest to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
SamNzed wrote:

neither in the top 50

but if KoT was, it'd be the only thing in there that I'd rate a 5

Oops sorry ... I thought top 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
5s or less
- Agricola
- Caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through The Ages is my highest ranked low rated game. I gave it a 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James To My Friends
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me:

Puerto Rico - Not that it's a bad game, but 2 plays was enough for me.
Mage Knight - Over complicated for no reason at all
Trajan - Victory point salad hell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some games in the TOP 50s I rate 5 or lower:

Dominant Species 5
The game uses fantastic mechanisms, but for me the theme does not get through at all and it is way toooooo long for what it offers

Tigris and Euphrates: 4
DRY as dry can get

Lords of Waterdeep 5
I don't understand the hype - it is just another worker placement game. If you would place this game in a medical castle building setting it would not be that high on BGG. Also, to me this has nothing in common with the RPG feel...

Star Wars Miniatures Games 5
Yeah, it is Star Wars Dogfighting and dripping with theme, but I was never into miniature games and was never that fond of Ace of Aces either

Ora et Labora 5
I not fond of Agricola, nor of Le Havre, Ora et Labora is yet another game in the same vein...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave several 5's for current top 50:

Puerto Rico
OK designed game, but not really my type, I do not like when I HAVE TO play some move (when I feel that game plays me), too scripted game-play, boring. When I won I didn't feel like victorious, wooow, I accomplished something.

Android Netrunner
It didn't delight me, theme is not very appealing to me, runner can have too much luck and win in 1st or 2nd turn. I won first 2 plays as a runner against experienced player.

7 Wonders
First few games were interesting, but it is too short and too light, lacks strategy and player interaction, doesn't excite me much, not much fun, overrated and not so good filler, drafting for the sake of drafting - nothing more. When I won I didn't feel like victorious, wooow, I accomplished something.

Pandemic
Too scripted. Has 2 big problems: dominant alpha player and other players are just pawn pushers and second is that game plays you, forces you to go somewhere whether you like it or not. I didn't care if I win or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion 5.5

I would give the online version a 6.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given Power Grid and Steam a five. The former just feels way too long and artificial for what it is, the latter just isn't for me. I find neither fun and that may well be the greatest factor.

Crokinole I rate a 4.5 - it's a dexterity game and that really isn't for me. Further, if I have to play a dexterity game I'd rather play snooker/pool, darts or PitchCar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy P
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few..

Agricola - 4
Terra Mystica 4
Le Havre 5
Tzolkin 4
Caylus 4
7 Wonders 4
Dominion intrigue 4

A couple more would be candidates if I had played them, Dixit around a 2 at best is an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
7 Wonders
Race for the Galaxy
Tigris & Euphrates
Troyes
Pandemic

And I see now where you asked for a favorite. I suppose I would say Troyes is my "favorite" as I've only played once and maybe I could be curious enough to see if there is something there I missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is absolute torture. Hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None in the top 50 now but I rate Ra a 5.
Puerto Rico, Dominion and Power Grid are games I rate a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.