Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone! I saw that Adam has already typed up a tournament report so I'll keep mine brief.

My friend Ross and I drove from Cincinnati, Ohio to Bloomington, IN which is about a 2 hour drive. 19 people showed up in total; I would say about half were from out of town.

The decks I played were Weyland BABW and Gabe. Corp-side I was running my variation of the Accelerated Diagnostics+Power Shutdown deck that's been going around right now and I was running a variation of Gabe with Knights that has also been FOTM lately. I'll post both below the write up.

Round 1 Adam NBN: TWIY / Gabe
Game 1 Corp: Win
Adam was running Gabe also. I was short on ICE in the early game which allowed for some accesses. In contrast I had a lot of money so as long as he didn't protect against the scorch combo I could get him when the combo came. Drew into the 3 card combo turn 5 or 6, played an agenda into a server which got inside jobbed (I think, could have just been ran on) so that I could hit him with it. Flatline victory. Adam mentioned to me after the game that he was running Decoy and should have dug for it. Lesson 1 of the day- Decoy is a direct counter to the AD/PS/JH combo. If you're worried about the combo, play decoy.

Game 2 Runner: Win
The reason I prefer Gabe over Andy is because I feel like I can apply constant pressure and still not slump in the mid game. Knight really adds to Gabe because it allows for a lot of early access. This game was a mix of constant pressure and luck. I didn't see any multi access tools so I single accessed my way to a close victory.

Round 1 Results: 4-0

Round 2 ? Weyland: BABW / Chaos Theory

Game 1 Corp: Win
I played a jackson turn 2 that I used for card draw for 5 straight turns to try and get the AD for the scorch combo. In that time, the CT player had made a Dinosaurus hosting a Morning Star, a Torch and a Garrote. He made 1 successful run after I got it and that was it. Either didn't have or didn't play a plascrete, which is death. Flatline Victory

Game 2 Runner: Lose
Only runner loss for the day. I saw a punitive in his hand and then accessed a 3 point agenda. I had 2 credits, 1 click, was holding a plascrete. Game loss to Flatline in turn 4 or 5. Had I slowed down a little and just played the plascrete probably would have won that game. Lesson 2: Always play plascrete against Weyland before you go and do crazy things like steal agendas.

Round 2 Results: 2-2 Total Prestige 6

Round 3 Scott HB: Stronger Together / Andromeda

Scott was the only person with 8 Prestige going into round 3. I was shaking in my boots a bit, but buckled down to pull out these victories.

Game 1 Runner: Win
This game I got moving early. He used 2x Eli on HQ. Saw corroder, HQ interface and Desperado really eary. Paid 1 and 2 clicks to access 2 cards a turn. Hit R&D when I could. Got to shut down a Bioroid Efficiencied and then Oversighted Wotan. I had an amazing access to score ratio, which lead to a fast, decisive victory.

Game 2 Corp: Win
This game was a close one. He played a turn 2 Decoy which pretty much shutdown my scorch options. I immediately shifted to scoring points as quickly as possible. I had 2 Hostiles and 2 Atlas Scored, both atlas's over scored by 1, and was holding 1 in HQ. Scott ran my hand and scored the one there bringing him to 6 points. He couldn't square it away in the last few actions and I used an atlas token to get a hostile and win the game.

Round 3 Results 4-0 Total Prestige 10

Round 4 Ross HB: Engineering The Future / Gabe

4th round Ross (the guy I traveled with) and I were top scoring with 10 each. We had done a lot of play-testing against each other with these decks so we knew what we were in for.

Game 1 Corp: Loss
So it turns out that, sometimes, playing with 15 ICE can be a problem. I had 1 early game ICE on HQ, but didn't see another in the 5-10 minute game. He ran on my deck first turn and scored a Hostile Takeover. Turn 4 he ran my deck and scored 3 3/2's in a row. Not much to say here except ouch.

Game 2 Runner: Win
NBN: Making News is my least favorite match-up for Gabe. They're doing all sorts of great things in remotes and it's expensive to disable. HB Fast Advance is second for least favorite match.

This game we both scored tit for tat up to 4 points. I got out an R&D interface and with Mimic and clicks I managed to score 4 in one turn for the victory. Not much exciting here except that I didn't see an account siphon all game and still won. Maybe everyone is just overhyping it

Round 3 Results: 2-2 Total Prestige 12

We then cut to the top 4. I had played 100% of the other players, and beat Scott and Adam 4-0, who were both undefeated otherwise. Of course, My first elimination round match-up was against Ross, the person I would soon have to share a 2 hour car ride with.

Elimination Round 1 Ross HB:ETF / Gabe

Game 1 Corp: Win 10-4
Ross managed to score a couple points from R&D, but I had the AD/PS combo almost immediately. I forced him to spend his credits on a remote run into a duplicate Jackson Howard and then smoked him with the JH/AD/PS in my hand. Flatline Victory.

Game 2 Runner: Win 10-0
I only needed to score 4 so I played more aggressive than I did the rest of the day. It really helped that I knew every card in his deck While he knew the same for me, it's hard to protect against 2 knights in the opening hand. I got out the R&D interface and score 4 pretty quickly.

Elimination Round 1 Result: Awkward ride home.

Just kidding. We're both good sports (most of the time).

Elimination Round 2 Adam (The return of the Adam!) NBN: TWIY / Gabe
Adam and I had played in the first round and then he went on to be completely undefeated to come into the final round.

Game 1 Corp: Win 10-4
This game was super intense. Adam spend a good part of the early game setting up defenses against the combo he had seen in the earlier part of the day. This game me time to dig for ICE and set up a remote to score out of. I used his knowledge (and possibly fear) of my deck to score as many points as quickly as possible. The big play that stopped him from really gaining traction was a double power shutdown to kill a Zuul and a Corroder. At that point, I knew I could score out of my remote for at least a while. He caught 4 points from R&D before I could close the game, but for a while I thought I could score out a 7-0. Adam played well and was a fierce competitor.

Game 2 Runner: Win 10-4
I knew I just had to be super aggressive and get get the points before he could do any funny business. I had a sneakdoor up and hit his hand 2-3 times a turn and still couldn't find any agendas. I finally hit 1 as he scored out a Beal for his 4th points. The final run of the game he rezzed a Chimera on archives as a Sentry; my only breaker out was a Faerie. I used the Faerie to break the Chimera and picked a 1/4 agenda out of his hand for the win.

Thoughts: Gabe is brought to the next level with Knight. So much early access and account siphon potential. Power shutdown and Accelerated Diagnostics are super strong. I don't know if it's broken, but the combo is super easy to land. 3/6 games I played as corp I landed the combo and it wasn't like it prevented me from scoring agendas if that's what I needed to do.

Thanks to everyone who played. It was nice to meet the Bloomington players as well as the traveling Indianapolis players. Hopefully we'll see each other again on 3/8 for a rematch

Ross and I host a podcast called "Wait, Wait... Don't Run Me!". If you'd like to check it out you can catch our first episode here http://waitwaitdrm.podomatic.com/. If you've already listened and are wondering when the next episode is coming- don't fear! Now that the new pack has dropped we've already started writing new quiz questions for the show we're recording next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
But where's the most interesting part - the decklists??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just kidding about the decklists, apparently. Here is Weyland.

Dumb Combo Deck (49 cards)

Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World

Agenda (12)
2 Corporate War
3 Geothermal Fracking
3 Hostile Takeover
1 Veterans Program
3 Project Atlas

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Operation (19)
2 Accelerated Diagnostics
3 Beanstalk Royalties
3 Hedge Fund
3 Power Shutdown
3 Restructure
3 Scorched Earth
2 SEA Source

Barrier (3)
3 Ice Wall

Code Gate (2)
2 Tollbooth

Sentry (8)
3 Archer
3 Caduceus
1 Rototurret
1 Swordsman

ICE (2)
2 Chimera

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabe Plays Chess (45 cards)

Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional

Event (19)
3 Account Siphon
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Emergency Shutdown
2 Forged Activation Orders
2 Inside Job
2 Special Order
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
2 Desperado
1 HQ Interface
3 Plascrete Carapace
1 R&D Interface

Resource (6)
3 Armitage Codebusting
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (11)
2 Corroder
3 Faerie
1 Femme Fatale
3 Knight
1 Mimic
1 Yog.0

Program (2)
2 Sneakdoor Beta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure I used "same old thing" to use every event out of my trash excluding the credit events. Inside Job and Forged Activation Orders are both huge played out of the garbage. I used it to Special Order a mimic and even used 1 emergency shutdown from my trash on a Wotan.

Allstar for Runner: Knight
Card I'd Cut: Stimhack

Corp side everything was working for me. This deck you just have to dig to either get your combo or quickly find ICE to score out from behind while the runner builds their rig. Hopefully they aren't playing datasuckers and you can Power Shutdown pieces of their rig as they're played.

Allstar for Corp: Power Shutdown (Even outside of the combo this card is amazing)
Card I'd Cut: Swordsman When I first started playing this deck I splashed one for fun and kept killing Crypsis on HQ runs. It did absolutely nothing during the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.