Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
This was not a TCG games night -- actually it was a huge group of friends from church who met at my friend Steve's house and we had a 4 on 4 volleyball tourney (which I am happy to report my team cleaned up in.) After it was too dark and cold to play v'ball, everyone moved inside and I talked 4 guys, who'd never even heard of German games, into a game of Knights. I thought it would be a quick, good intro game.

Well, I was wrong. Knights is only a good, little game if it's a QUICK little game, and this game was not quick. All of these guys were completely lost initially. They'd only ever played Monopoly and the other American standards, and learning something completely new eveidentally mystified them. So everyone took forever making decisions and the inactive players were just fidgeting in their seats. Tom had a big lead but he kept rolling for useless cards, and he'd roll the dice one by one...all in all a horrible experience. Finally Dave decided to quit, and after one more turn everyone else including myself agreed. It just took too long.

So my initial impressions of this game were good but this playing really was a wake up call. This game can drag with people with 5 players. The first time I played, the dice would go to a player and he would immediately pick a card to go after, then do 3 or 4 quick rolls to do what needed to be done -- those were the players from my game group, and it worked all right with very little downtime. But with these non-gamer types, the game just wasn't any fun. They didn't pick up on the value of the cards at all, and took too long to decide what to keep and when to re-roll. In the future I would play this game with non gamers with a group of 3 or maybe 4 max.

"A quick game's a good game." An excellent maxim for Knights.

So was introducing German games a bad experience...? Read on for my Formula De session report...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.