BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lunar Cross and team battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Everly
United States
California
flag msg tools
I recently played team mode with a couple of friends. I was Karin and Jager, my teammate was Eligor. As Karin, I decided to ante my finisher- the Lunar Cross. It reads:

"If Jager's space is unoccupied, Jager and Karin swap places. the range of this attack is all spaces occupied by opponents you switched sides with this beat."

The problem is that a friendly figure was in Jager's space. Does his space count as "occupied?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
occupied by opponents - it's a friendly figure, not an opponent, therefore not occupied by an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
occupied by opponents - it's a friendly figure, not an opponent, therefore not occupied by an opponent.
This is not the relevant part of the rule, which just says "If Jager's space is unoccupied", nothing about opponents. However, I would play it that the swap happens if it is legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
BilboAtBagEnd wrote:
This is not the relevant part of the rule, which just says "If Jager's space is unoccupied", nothing about opponents. However, I would play it that the swap happens if it is legal.

You're very right. My bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that friendly fighters in a team battle don't really get in each other's way, and the wording of the card is there to prevent a rules conflict in a one on one match where Karin can't switch places with the the Jager token if occupied by an enemy fighter because that is an illegal position.

Unless I hear an official ruling otherwise, I see no reason why Karin can't use the Lunar Cross to move into a space occupied by a friendly fighter, just as she could with any other kind of move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
So the real question here is "in a Team Battle, can you see spaces occupied by allies as 'unoccupied'?" For the purposes of movement, you do see these spaces as unoccupied, so I will go ahead and rule that you can see them that way for the sake of card effects as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Is this ruling universal or is it just an errata to Lunar Cross? I.e. can Pendros place an environment marker in an ally's space?

Also is your own space considered occupied from your perspective?

(edit: Pendros's UA technically doesn't use the word "unoccupied" but instead explicitly says "a space that does not contain a standup", is this intentionally meant to override the normal definition of occupied/unoccupied used in this ruling?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Everly
United States
California
flag msg tools
Any ruling from the designer is pretty much law. Thanks, Brad.

That's the way I played it. I saw it this way: The reason Lunar Cross asks for Jager's space to be unoccupied is because, at the end of the move, Karin would then occupy Jager's former space. Karin wouldn't be able to execute the move if an enemy were in that space because two opposing characters can't occupy the same space... But friendlies can.

Thanks for the speedy responses, everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note that the Full Moon style has a similar effect, but the wording is different and unambiguously works if there is an allied standup in the target space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.