Matthew Leighty
Germany
Hildrizhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Honest Opinion About Police Precinct

About Me
I am an average board game hobbyist who enjoys a variety of light to moderately complex games. The purpose of my review is to present you with a simple, straight forward, unbiased review of board games without the use of industry jargon. Enjoy!

About the Game

Title: Police Precinct
Edition: English 1st Edition (2013)
Designer: Ole Steiness
Publisher: Common Man Games

My Honest Opinion

The Cost: I paid 69 Euro or $94 for the game from a retailer in Brussels, Belgium. This is above average but I wanted a first edition and they were really scarce when I picked up my copy. Oh, I live in Germany by the way.

The Box: The box has some beautiful cover art. The sides also look great but the back of the box looks very plain in comparison. The box is also missing standard game information such as how many players, time, or age requirements.

The Rules: The rule book is text, text, and more text and has a poor layout. This is a known issue and Common Man is releasing a replacement rulebook.

The Theme: The game does a great job weaving the theme of the game into every aspect of game play. You really feel like you are doing police work and trying to catch a murderer at the same time.

The Components: There are a lot of components to this game. The character boards look great and are well designed. All of the cards look great and are also easy to understand. A nice touch would have been red and blue translucent dice. The game does not come with an insert or bags so plan on using a Plano or purchasing an aftermarket insert.

The Game Play:
This game is a lot of fun to play. There is plenty of action on every turn and the officers must really work together while taking advantage of their unique special abilities if they are going to have a chance at catching the murderer. With event cards popping out every turn there is always something pressuring the team.

The Replay Ability:
The game has great replay ability but the game can be difficult to win with two players unless you use the same two officers every time. Adding the dirty cop really makes the game challenging. This is a game that I would always be willing to play.

The Fun Factor:
Police Precinct is a fun game that has a great theme. Maybe grabbing a first edition at this point is tough but when the second edition comes out in late 2014 I highly recommend picking one up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your honest opinion and a good, succinct review.

I agree about rulebook, the first edition version is pretty atrocious.

But can I recommend to you Police Precinct: The Kit? I recently purchased this and, while I haven't got to play with the "expansion" items, the new included and updated rulebook is EXCELLENT. From what I've seen so far, it solved most if not all of the problems from the first edition rulebook.

Police Precinct is a great game, but I do recommend that anyone with the First Edition consider The Kit. It makes the whole experience much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Leighty
Germany
Hildrizhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware of the "The Kit" and I am considering picking one up, I just have not yet. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matt!

I like your review style. It's simple/to-the-point, yet gives what you really want from a review.

By the way...

It is tiny but it's there.

Referring to the info on the box:

1-6
13+
120 min

You bring up a great point, which is...

We (CMG) need to add fun icons for these and put on all sides of the box (imho) and font size MUCH bigger.

I'm glad you brought that up!

And...

Thanks again for doing that!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Keep it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bug
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you really need to do is make this game more available! I only recently found out about it, and it sounds great... but I can't find it anywhere without having to pay 2-3 times the MSRP.

Common Man Games wrote:

You bring up a great point, which is...

We (CMG) need to add fun icons for these and put on all sides of the box (imho) and font size MUCH bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Pierce
msg tools
Yes please, more copies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is in the works now!

We are making more as we speak!

Hey...

Speaking of making more, and speaking of the box, does anyone want a sneak peek at the new box?

Among other things it has a MUCH bigger icon for number of players etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.