Subject: Recommendations for my next wargame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently have owned or played: Twilight Struggle, Memoir '44, Hammer of the Scots, 1812: Invasion of Canada, War of 1812, Labyrinth. My favourites of those are TS, 1812 and HotS. Maybe it's arguable that some games aren't really considered wargames, but I thought I'd share anyways.

I'm leaning towards Conflict of Heroes, but recently heard about Ghost Panzer through SUSD.

Would either of those two titles be a good choice for me next? Open to hearing other suggestions too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 is a fine game and very accessible for new players because of its programmed instruction rulebook

Others:

If you like 1812 then 1775: Rebellion would be a good choice. It is similar to 1812 but different enough that I'd recommend it.

I'd also recommend Commands & Colors: Ancients. I did not really like Memoir 44 that much but Ancients is one of my very favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
When looking for a wargame there are two questions you should ask before all others:

(1) What setting/time period am I looking for?

(2) At what scale?

Once you answer those questions (or narrow down the choices some) then start exploring your options within (or near to) those choices/genres.

The big problem with wargames is that the field is so large that you need to limit the range of options somewhat or you'll flail around in your sea of choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Currently have owned or played: Twilight Struggle, Memoir '44, Hammer of the Scots, 1812: Invasion of Canada, War of 1812, Labyrinth. My favourites of those are TS, 1812 and HotS. Maybe it's arguable that some games aren't really considered wargames, but I thought I'd share anyways.

I'm leaning towards Conflict of Heroes, but recently heard about Ghost Panzer through SUSD.

Would either of those two titles be a good choice for me next? Open to hearing other suggestions too!

If you want to ramp up the complexity just a bit I would suggest to try out Combat Commander: Europe. It pretty much is a standard recommendation for a reason. If you are okay with card driven mechanics (which you seem to be) I think this game pretty much nails it. :-)

Characteristics:

- Playtime of approx. 2 hours
- Many scenarios to choose from, there even is a random scenario generator
- Card driven, so luck dependent
- Unpredictable and therefore tense
- Very nice narrative that creates unique and memorable moments
- Only paper maps, so you need a plexi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartow: That 1776 game looks kind of odd. Did you perhaps mean 1775 Rebellion? That game does seem really similar to 1812, how are they different?

I'll look into C&C Ancients.

Robb: I don't think I'm opposed to any setting or time period, although I wasn't too crazy about Labyrinth. Perhaps anything before the War on Terror.

By scale, do you mean time-frame? If so, anything that plays an hour to three hours or so sounds good. If you meant controlling small units of troops vs entire armies, I don't have a preference. Perhaps a mixture of recommendations from different scales would be nice. Especially games that are different from what I own.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Bartow: That 1776 game looks kind of odd. Did you perhaps mean 1775 Rebellion? That game does seem really similar to 1812, how are they different?

Robb: I don't think I'm opposed to any setting or time period, although I wasn't too crazy about Labyrinth. Perhaps anything before the War on Terror.

By scale, do you mean time-frame? If so, anything that plays an hour to three hours or so sounds good. If you meant controlling small units of troops vs entire armies, I don't have a preference. Perhaps a mixture of recommendations from different scales would be nice. Especially games that are different from what I own.

Thanks!

Yes, sorry. Fixed it. I have both and we play both pretty often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malteh wrote:
u1timo wrote:

If you want to ramp up the complexity just a bit I would suggest to try out Combat Commander: Europe. It pretty much is a standard recommendation for a reason. If you are okay with card driven mechanics (which you seem to be) I think this game pretty much nails it. :-)

Characteristics:

- Playtime of approx. 2 hours
- Many scenarios to choose from, there even is a random scenario generator
- Card driven, so luck dependent
- Unpredictable and therefore tense
- Very nice narrative that creates unique and memorable moments
- Only paper maps, so you need a plexi

I remember stumbling upon this game when looking at the highest ranked wargames on BGG. Would you recommend Combat Commander: Europe over Pacific? Is it just the setting that's different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:

Thanks!

The question I'd ask first is this: How many people do you usually play with?
a) 1 (solo)
b) 2 (most traditional wargames support this)
c) 3 or more (multi-player)

My recommendations will vary depending upon the answer to this question. Note that many 2-player wargames can be played quite well solo, but many others not so well. Some multiplayer games don't play well with only two, or one.

Oh, and BTW - of the games you listed in your OP, I'd count all of them as wargames, except for Twilight Struggle, which is a great political conflict game, but no wargame (sorry BGG, but you're wrong on this one!) However, if you liked TS, then there are a number of other CDG's (card-driven games) out there that you might like that actually are wargames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
u1timo wrote:

Thanks!

a) 1 (solo)

My recommendations will vary depending upon the answer to this question. Note that many 2-player wargames can be played quite well solo, but many others not so well. Some multiplayer games don't play well with only two, or one.

I didn't think about that! I guess when it comes to these type of games, mostly 2 players.

I'm really curious what's out there for solo and multi-player however. My apologies that I'm open to so much and that's not really helping in regards to narrowing down on a title.

I guess I'm really new to wargames and want to explore all my options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
u1timo wrote:

Thanks!

a) 1 (solo)

I didn't think about that! I guess when it comes to these type of games, mostly 2 players.

I'm really curious what's out there for solo and multi-player however. My apologies that I'm open to so much and that's not really helping in regards to narrowing down on a title.

I guess I'm really new to wargames and want to explore all my options.

Well, if you liked TS and you play 2-player often, I might suggest Washington's War or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, while a multi-player game along the same lines would be Sword of Rome or Successors (third edition). I don't generally play many designed-for-purpose solo games, but most 'traditional' 2-player wargames (i.e. hex-and-counter, no cards or blocks) can easily be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

Oh, and BTW - of the games you listed in your OP, I'd count all of them as wargames, except for Twilight Struggle, which is a great political conflict game, but no wargame (sorry BGG, but you're wrong on this one!) However, if you liked TS, then there are a number of other CDG's (card-driven games) out there that you might like that actually are wargames!

Political conflict! I like the sound of that. CDG does seem really neat. I'm really interested in Here I Stand - just not sure if I can get a time-committed group for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:

Ghost Panzer is about as good a tacitcal game as you will ever find, regardless of complexity level. I would highly recommend it over Conflict of Heroes, and over Combat Commander as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots to look into, thanks guys

Does tactical wargame mean smaller scale fights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Lots to look into, thanks guys

Does tactical wargame mean smaller scale fights?

Yes! Tactical usually involves small groups of soldiers (individuals, squads, platoons, companies) fighting, or individual planes or ships. These games usually model fire fights, like in the movie "Platoon".

Operational usually involved larger formations fighting over a single theater of operations. This could include regiments, brigades, and divisions of troops, squadrons of planes, and naval task forces. An operational game might be one that protrays the WW2 Battle of the Bulge in its entirety.

Strategic scale typically involves the largest formations fighting over multiple theaters, such as WW2 in Europe, with the Western, Eastern, and Med fronts. Units could be divisions, corps, armies, and army groups, air fleets, and naval fleets. A game replicating the entire Napoleonic Wars could fit here.

The above are just general descriptions, and can vary based on a number of factors, including the time period being portrayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 is a fine game and very assessable for new players because of its programmed instruction rulebook

Others:

If you like 1812 then 1775: Rebellion would be a good choice. It is similar to 1812 but different enough that I'd recommend it.

I'd also recommend Commands & Colors: Ancients. I did not really like Memoir 44 that much but Ancients is one of my very favorite games.

+1. All are great choices. If the themes interest you, I'd add Hold the Line and Gettysburg 150. All are great choices. You won't go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like blocks, stick with blocks. There's a whole array of games from Columbia and GMT and others that could scratch your itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my *most excellent* list: Re: Basic Wargame Library - you need look no further...

I would go with either A House Divided (Latest edition by Mayfair is ~$21) or Storm Over Stalingrad - both brilliant and lots of tense fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JS
Germany
North Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, good choices for you are:
H&C: Conflict of Heroes, BoB Ghost Panzer
Blocks: Richard III., Rommel in the Desert 2nd Ed., Strike of the Eagle, Hellenes
Political Influence: Imperial 2030
Others: 1775, Storm over Stalingrad, Command & Colors, Hannibal - R vs C, perhaps Axis & Allies and Risk 2210 AD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
If you do decide on Conflict of Heroes, send me a Geekmail. I have AtB and Price of Honor that I will let go cheap cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
malteh wrote:
Quote:

For the sake of curiosity: why recommend Combat Commander; Europe and not CC;Pacific?
The card interaction is supposedly lessened in Pacific due to the player feedback.

Also, since I'm posting anyway: Commands & Colors; Ancients is a very good game. The Card driven system enhances the feel of ancient warfare rather than hamper the feel of control over your army. The historical setting and the rules support the card driven action tremendously well.

I'd like to recommend Ghost Panzer, but I've only just started to play it, so a recommendation really wouldn't be in order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.