Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All!

I've only been a boardgamer for a little over a year. I started playing with some pretty simple games (Zombies!!!, Dungeon, Zombie Survival, and a few others I truly don't remember). These games were very exciting and I thought really good. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy these games, but for a different reason. I remember rating all of these games a 10, thinking people must be crazy if they don't enjoy these games and that the rating system must be screwed up.... well I can honestly say maybe I was screwed up. Yeah, that's hard for me to admit. yuk Now, I rank them more in line with games that I TRULY enjoy, now that I have had a taste of what is out there.

So, at this point I want to extend a HUGE thank you to the BGG community. This site simply IS everything that one could possibly need in order to research this amazing hobby. I'll list some reasons why I am thanking everyone here.

First - Reviews... When I first joined the boardgaming hobby, I bought whatever box looked cool. Yeah boy was that a huge mistake, now I find myself trying to trade things off as fast as I can to get games that I actually want to play. Reviews help me to identify the games that I actually WANT to play. So to those of you who take the time to post either written or video reviews, I extend to you a huge thumbs up. You rock. Doing reviews is something I really would like to join in on.

Second - Forums.... It's always a disappointment to realize you are playing things wrong. So before I dive into my first game, I try to find rules clarifications or simpler errata documents to make my life a bit less on the chaotic side. Plus, being able to receive recommendations from other players who understand your tastes is truly a blessing.

Third - Availablity - I have yet to find a game that I am interested in that there isn't at least some comment or forum on. It's obvious that those invested in this hobby truly take the time to talk about what they enjoy.

Fourth - Users - Simply put, are great. From trades to opinions to reviews to user created content. It just doesn't get better than being a part of this community.

Again, thank you all for your time and dedication! I love you man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First - Reviews... When I first joined the boardgaming hobby, I bought whatever box looked cool. Yeah boy was that a huge mistake, now I find myself trying to trade things off as fast as I can to get games that I actually want to play. Reviews help me to identify the games that I actually WANT to play. So to those of you who take the time to post either written or video reviews, I extend to you a huge thumbs up. You rock. Doing reviews is something I really would like to join in on.

Yay. Something other than the usual "reviews are worthless" knee-jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah! BGG rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Stauffer
United States
Waxahachie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a similar experience! BGG is such a great resource. There is one thing missing from your list... BGG.con I attended for the first time last year and I must say, what an awesome experience! I highly recommend adding it to your list this year. It is worth it to buy fewer games and save up to attend if you have to! Trust me on that one! I made several new friends there some of which I am still gaming with now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea for Game Cons! Yea for BGG!

I visit every day!

BGG that is.

Because there are no daily Game Cons.

Are there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that Shawn I will most definitly be checking it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:

Because there are no daily Game Cons.

Are there?

Ooooooooh. Let's make that happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.