Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Why are rumour cards such a 'problem'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep hearing about the rumour card problem of helping the hero players out? What is the exact problem? If its so one sided why even play the rumours? Or do the heroes just get ridiculous strong before the game actually gets into campaign play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it gives heroes more gold and more shopping for a limited upside for the OL. The consensus seems to be that with the lieutenant decks and threat mechanic, they become more of a break-even, especially for Trollfens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was discussed just last week:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1126958/do-rumor-quests-need...

And even more before that:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1041724/reasons-to-play-rumo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
Because it gives heroes more gold and more shopping for a limited upside for the OL. The consensus seems to be that with the lieutenant decks and threat mechanic, they become more of a break-even, especially for Trollfens.

Pretty much sums this up.

As an aside (If not using the new LT packs), they still add great flavour to the game if you aren't necessarily determined to win as the OL. It'll also be interesting to see how the new Creature/Hero pack rumour quest go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To help balance the extra shopping phases of rumor cards we removed the rule that after act 1 you show the whole act 1 shop deck and get to pick what you buy. Instead you just reveal cards as usual so you don't get to see everything and min/max your characters.

Makes it much better and enjoyable for both sides. Problem solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
To help balance the extra shopping phases of rumor cards we removed the rule that after act 1 you show the whole act 1 shop deck and get to pick what you buy. Instead you just reveal cards as usual so you don't get to see everything and min/max your characters.

That's actually a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:

I would think that this rule would then give the OL even more reason not to play rumors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the overloard and although we are competitive, we also play for fun. The mechanic, regardless of balance, is cool in that it adds to the overall experience with more options / story / and "coolness factor".

By skipping the shopping step it evens things out so then I play the rumor cards when I am able just because. It is up to them if they actually want to do them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
I would think that this rule would then give the OL even more reason not to play rumors.

Maybe. Not if it only takes effect when a quest Rumor is played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually what I see as a problem is that the starting quest may not appear in the rumour cards available to OL. I would really like to try the expansions, because the quests are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mrakomor wrote:
Actually what I see as a problem is that the starting quest may not appear in the rumour cards available to OL. I would really like to try the expansions, because the quests are great.

While that might be possible, it's fairly unlikely. Wyrm and Trollfens have 3 quest cards and 3 non-quest cards each, but two of the Trollfens ones make you draw another card after playing. So that's 4 in 12 cards that are not quests and can't ever be quests. The chances of initially drawing into three of them are pretty low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Caerus wrote:

Sure but in that case its probably best for the OL to play 1 rumor card to achieve the affect and then not play the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Nessuno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caerus wrote:
Sarcasmorator wrote:
Caerus wrote:

Sure but in that case its probably best for the OL to play 1 rumor card to achieve the affect and then not play the rest.

Quest Rumor... this variant work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.