James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be off-topic, but when the Discworld games came out, a bunch of people asked where to start learning what it was all about, and we welcomed their interest.

So I see a lot of Adventure Time references. Tumblr and other sites are full of them. I'm also in education, so it is referenced fairly often. I watched one episode, but I think I watched the wrong one because I didn't get a real good sense of who the characters are. What is the best place to start with this show?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Bagley
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, from the beginning. Awesome show!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kcBagz wrote:
IMO, from the beginning. Awesome show!

If you're expecting some sort of plot or character advancement, that won't happen. Watching them in order helps a bit, but the show is absolutely random, you can pick up basically anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's basically true, steven.

But! They make many references and call-backs to previous episodes. And there is a longer story that's told over the entire coarse of the series (thus far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I would start at the beginning and just try to watch the whole first season. The episodes are pretty short so you don't always get a lot out of each one. Also many of them tend to end rather abruptly without a full resolution, and sometimes are continued in later seasons. Also they tend to bring in characters with very little introduction, so it may seem like you should know who they are, when it is really their first appearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
That's basically true, steven.

But! They make many references and call-backs to previous episodes. And there is a longer story that's told over the entire coarse of the series (thus far).

Yeah, Adventure Time is a weird case because most of the episodes are in that classic sit-com style of "here's some shenanigans that will be resolved by the end of the episode, enjoy" but the entire series snowballs in terms of references to characters that are introduced or events that occur. I'd definitely recommend starting at the beginning both because it's a good place to introduce the main cast and because a lot of the value of jokes in later seasons may be diminished if you haven't yet seen whatever previous joke is being referenced. The story does progress in a surprisingly linear fashion as well between seasons so there may be genuine confusion if you jump in with the wrong episode.

Plus the show is great enough that you'll probably want to see all of the episodes once you start so you might as well start from the beginning. It wouldn't actually take that long to watch it all either, since the episodes are only 11 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree that the "first" episode with the zombies seems a bit out of place. It wasn't even clear to me who the dog was. It certainly isn't one of the "we're on an adventure" episodes. Stick with a few and it will make more sense though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Tran
msg tools
Adventure Time works best when you watch it in succession. It might seem like a kids' show, but there's a level of world-building, mythology, and lore that is well beyond anything you've seen in today's children's programming. Plenty of references for adults to join in on the fun too. There are story arcs that are built upon throughout each season, and actually a lot of the arcs continue well beyond one season. You will be rewarded for investing the time to learn about the characters and the world as the episodes go on... they don't throw a whole ton of introductory info at you in the beginning; many of the characters' origins are revealed in later seasons. Like a lot of people have been saying so far, start from the beginning and enjoy the ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first episode that I ever saw was 'River of Junk'. After watching all episodes till current, I feel like that episode gave a good feeling of who the characters are and what the show is mostly about. After watching RoJ, return to the very beginning, as others have said, to watch them in order.

I would recommend not worrying about seeing the original pilot episode from Nickelodeon (yes, Nick, not CN). It wasn't very funny to me and doesn't represent the show very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
I do agree that the "first" episode with the zombies seems a bit out of place. It wasn't even clear to me who the dog was. It certainly isn't one of the "we're on an adventure" episodes. Stick with a few and it will make more sense though.

Yeah, that was the first episode I watched. I got a sense of which TV sitcom personality bin the characters fell into, but I couldn't help but think, "Did I really find the first episode? I'm confuzzled."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first episode DOES feel like a bit of a cold start because there's no build-up to introducing who these people are in the first episode.

But I think it's the best place to start. Eventually the show starts to have plot threads that dangle into other episodes, but not in any significant showing until at least season 2.

Bear in mind that there are going to be some strange episodes that I think will turn people off coming into the show. I appreciate it as a witty adventure series, but starting off with an episode that's too bizarre will leave a bad first impression.

FWiW, the "first episode" I had was the last half of "All the Little people". It seemed to have more sense to it than it seemed in spongebob, so I gave it a shot and it turned out to be pretty interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:

Yeah, that was the first episode I watched. I got a sense of which TV sitcom personality bin the characters fell into, but I couldn't help but think, "Did I really find the first episode? I'm confuzzled."

Now that you mentioned this I seem to recall having a similar reaction after the first episode. Keep going. It is a great show with great characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
The first episode I watched was Rainy Day Daydream. I heard so much about the series, so I gave it a shot. Watched that episode and just didn't really get it - but something caught my attention. It wasn't until awhile later that I really started watching it. Not sure what the first episode was that really caught-on with me, but now, it's one of the few things I really look forward to on TV. I've got all the DVDs, both video games, this game, I'm looking really forward to Munchkin: Adventure Time, my wife bought me a cool Finn wallet...

Also, tonight's episode... AMAZING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first episode I saw was Death In Bloom. I found it absolutely hilarious. I laughed so hard I missed jokes.

I don't really think it's a great episode that represents the show though, it's a bit more 'random' than a lot of episodes.

My favorite thing about adventure time is that little by little you really do learn a lot about the universe and the characters in it. And despite the seeming randomness, sometimes actions have actual consequences. I also like that things do happen in order. There are events that carry over from one episode to the other.

I have no real good answer about where to start. My wife watched it really out of order and didn't seem to mind. I think I watched it in order but didn't really feel hooked until maybe Season 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Johns
msg tools
Really depends on what draws you to a show.

For me, it was the episodes about Ice King (last night's was obviously a joy for me) that really drove home that the show, while obviously silly, also had some really serious and dark undertones.

I Remember You
Holly Jolly Secrets
Simon & Marcy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RadzPrower wrote:
Really depends on what draws you to a show.

For me, it was the episodes about Ice King (last night's was obviously a joy for me) that really drove home that the show, while obviously silly, also had some really serious and dark undertones.

I Remember You
Holly Jolly Secrets
Simon & Marcy

That's my favorite storyline as well, but I think the impact would be lost if someone just watched those without being exposed to him normally through the other episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Johns
msg tools
The Message wrote:
That's my favorite storyline as well, but I think the impact would be lost if someone just watched those without being exposed to him normally through the other episodes.

Yeah, that's what hooked me, but I wouldn't suggest starting with those.

I guess what I was trying to say was that watching and slowly noticing those subtle hints of a dark side is what it ultimately takes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason the first episode feels weird is that the real first episode was supposed to be The Enchiridion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
If Slumber Party Panic just doesn't do you for the first episode of the series, go watch the Pilot on Youtube, pretend that Pen is called Finn, that the voices are the same and that about a year has passed between the Pilot and SPP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.