Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook» Forums » General

Subject: Is BB dead? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wonder, as I found GW website has no recommended product?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catego...#

I love to start trying it but somehow, GW does not have it or other stores have it for $$$$$



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GW does not support specialist games anymore indeed. But the NET does!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar

Well, the US site had drastically reduced what was available a few months ago, but the base game was still for sale. Doesn't look like there's anything at all left now (assuming that's not just a web issue).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GW no longer sell it, they purged the Specialist Games quite recently. Still, due to Blood Bowl's popularity a whole industry has sprung up selling teams and accessories, many very good indeed. Try Impact Miniatures or Comixinios for a good idea of what's out there. You can get everything you need to play Blood Bowl(teams, pitch, dice, range ruler and other templates etc) without GW.

Ebay is probably the best bet if you want the official GW set, and there's been rumours for a while of a Space hulk style Limited Edition box, but nothing confirmed.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
There is always FUMBBL, the online BB league. Tons of competition there and the java client is pretty solid.

https://fumbbl.com/
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments. I love the idea of the game and would like to learn and play it with my kid.

However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...


Scour Ebay instead. Bit ironically, official GW BB stuff can be gotten for a lot less than the unofficial stuff. BB is still in high demand, so be prepared to lose out on a few auctions before you win blush . But you can get teams for around 30 or less, at least you could a year or so ago when I last added a couple of teams.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for your comments. I love the idea of the game and would like to learn and play it with my kid.

However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...

If it is just the theme you are looking for and not the specific game, there are a couple of alternatives that are a lot cheaper than BB and have similar or even superior gameplay. BB is getting pretty old and gameplay is just not feeling fluent in comparison to recent tames like Slaughterball : http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153113/slaughterball
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for your comments. I love the idea of the game and would like to learn and play it with my kid.

However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...

If it is just the theme you are looking for and not the specific game, there are a couple of alternatives that are a lot cheaper than BB and have similar or even superior gameplay. BB is getting pretty old and gameplay is just not feeling fluent in comparison to recent tames like Slaughterball : http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153113/slaughterball


How can you claim that without having played Slaughterball? Just because it is new doesn't mean it better or more fluid. Until it is released, and hundreds of plays have been logged, will I believe that it is an improvement.

BTW- I am not trolling, I backed Slaughterball in the "hopes" it is a good game; plus, I want a good "football" game for multiple players.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed - the only one "tested and proved" alternative right now, that got some "momentum" is Dreadball. But beware, this is not football...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
Indeed - the only one "tested and proved" alternative right now, that got some "momentum" is Dreadball. But beware, this is not football...

ElfBall is pretty good, too. Not as much buzz as Dreadball these days, but still a very fun and fluid game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

To answer your question, no, Blood Bowl is not dead, as long as there are people who continue to play it, and people who encourage new players to take up the game.

If you want to try before you buy, you can make pretty much everything yourself, though you may want to buy a mat for a board from here.

The current rules can be downloaded from GW, on their Specialist Games page. You want the Competion Rules Pack (CRP) download.

When you're ready to take the plunge, your best best to get all the bits to play the game (not including the teams) is to purchase one of the SSB fantasy football packs from Impact! Minatures - the owner is a great guy, who has done a lot to keep Blood Bowl alive, so spend your money with him where possible (cheque in the mail, Tom?).

As for teams, before you go forking out $$$ for the miniatures, you can use paper/cardboard cubes as stand-ins that can be found here.

Also, I would second giving FUMBBL a go, but try and join a league in your time zone (and preferably one that is well established). There are many players on FUMBBL who are not newbie friendly, and will just try to crush your team, because that's what they enjoy doing.

Blood Bowl does use some old game mechanics, but it is still a great game to play, and you should have a great time with it.

You might also want to consider joining Talk Fantasy Football, which is a board dedicated to Blood Bowl, and other Fantasy Football games. TFF is a great resource for Blood Bowl.

PM me if you want any more information.

Cheers,
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leonard
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...


Teams on eBay don't go for that much, typically. Also, Impact sells plastic/resin teams for $35 US (alternate teams, in a sense - crocodile-men instead of lizardmen, Scottish halflings, &c.) That does help keep things affordable, if you want minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
How can you claim that without having played Slaughterball? Just because it is new doesn't mean it better or more fluid.

Sorry, maybe fluid is not the correct word, but I can explain what I meant in a little bit more detail. From reading the rules and watching the playtest videos I've noticed a couple of differences that in my opinion serve to make Slaughterball more interesting and/or speed things up:

- no need to setup the teams at the line of scrimmage after scoring. Play just continues with ball being shot from one of the launchers

- no 1-0 end results, as there are more ways to score than just touchdowns. Matches seem to end with each team scoring a couple of times. The last match I read about ended 24-22, I think.

- different ways of scoring also give underdog teams more of a chance to catch up. Getting back from a 0-2 against woodelves f.e. is nigh impossible in comparison.

- Only a couple of your athletes are moved during one turn, so downtime is not that long when playing against coaches with analysis paralysis.

Sorry, if I am being obnoxious, that is certainly not my intention. I just think Slaughterball deserves its chance and would gladly see it funded.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx everyone....sounds like the cheapest solution will be waiting for the iPad version of Blood Bowl 2
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
Gronlokk wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for your comments. I love the idea of the game and would like to learn and play it with my kid.

However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...

If it is just the theme you are looking for and not the specific game, there are a couple of alternatives that are a lot cheaper than BB and have similar or even superior gameplay. BB is getting pretty old and gameplay is just not feeling fluent in comparison to recent tames like Slaughterball : http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/153113/slaughterball


How can you claim that without having played Slaughterball? Just because it is new doesn't mean it better or more fluid. Until it is released, and hundreds of plays have been logged, will I believe that it is an improvement.

BTW- I am not trolling, I backed Slaughterball in the "hopes" it is a good game; plus, I want a good "football" game for multiple players.


He has been championing Slaughterball all across the Geek. I just assumed he is a friend of the developer of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Late Night Gamer
Norway
flag msg tools
http://youtube.com/lnightg
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Just got a brand new copy of the game today so it better not be dead! I do want a couple of more teams. And a star player or two. And some cheerleader. Oh, and ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anders
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The_Late_Night_Gamer wrote:
Just got a brand new copy of the game today so it better not be dead! I do want a couple of more teams. And a star player or two. And some cheerleader. Oh, and ...
If you are looking to pick up a couple more teams for not much money (under $35 for an entire team) ... you can do a search for Fantasy Football on KickStarter right now and find some really great deals on extra teams (the KickStarter has 17 different ones under $35 each)

ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks for your comments. I love the idea of the game and would like to learn and play it with my kid.

However, from the provide online store, one team minis is already $100....I don't know whether I can afford this...
http://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=elfballteam... That is your best bet to get full teams for under $35 if you do not check out the above mentioned KickStarter.

And yes Nestyr ... check is in the mail.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Dibrell
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realize this thread is a touch old, been outta the loop for awhile. Whether a game is live or dead has much more to do with the local gaming group than nationwide. Considering BB still has perfectly viable teams being produced by multiple companies globally I'd say as long as you can find opponents it's alive and well. Flames of War isn't dead per se but where I game it is because nobody actually plays it even though it's still produced. Same with Dropzone Commander. So really it's all a matter of perspective tbh.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Just wonder, as I found GW website has no recommended product?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catego...#

I love to start trying it but somehow, GW does not have it or other stores have it for $$$$$




As your profile says you're in Vancouver, you may want to check these guys out. The front page is a little out of date, but the forums and the league manager are very active.

http://www.thunderbowl.ca/

League Manager: http://www.thunderbowl.ca/tbsn/
Forums: http://www.thunderbowl.ca/forum/index.php

They also host the Spike! tournament, one of the 5(?) Majors.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.