Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Milloy
United States
Spruce Pine
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I found the battleship (1) special ability a little bit confusing. In the rulebook, it says something like "an extra move/attack action" but on the player mat, it says something like "attack adjacent ships". The question is, when a Battleship uses it's special action to attack, does it move in to the space it attacked when it succeeds? Is the special action "move + attack" or is it "an extra attack from distance one"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dattolo
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Basically you can attack any ship that is right next to you. It's an extra move/attack because attacking is moving: if you win the battle, you can move into the space occupied by the ship you attacked (you don't have to take the space though, just like in a regular attack).

A few examples:
1. If you are two spaces away from a ship, you can move one space to get next to it, then use your special action to attack it. If you win, you can move into it's space (or not).

2. If you are one space away from a ship, you can attack once by moving, and if you fail, you can use the special ability to attack again!

3. You cannot use the extra move / attack to simply move two spaces.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Milloy
United States
Spruce Pine
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
GiantTortoise wrote:
you don't have to take the space though, just like in a regular attack

Ah, this is what we were missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is right. The wording on the faction sheet is pretty confusing, but on page 8 of the rulebook the ability is clearly stated.

If anyone from funforge is reading this I (humbly) suggest you change the wording on the command sheets to:

"1 free move/attack that MUST include an attack"

This is obviously for the next printing of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this clarification -- we've been playing it wrong. blush

I'd thought that the special ability was an extra "long range" (range 1) attack that didn't include a move. I guess I was picturing a Death Star / Wave Motion Gun type attack in addition to the normal move/attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.