joseph beauchamp
Canada
flag msg tools
I wish there was something like that in 2e for player advancement. Besides just buying new skills or weapons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeTheITGuy wrote:
I wish there was something like that in 2e for player advancement. Besides just buying new skills or weapons

They're a boring way to increase power, and helped make the heroes' strength spiral out of control. I'm glad they got rid of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joseph beauchamp
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree with you for 1e it would because there was no limit to the number oftTimes you could spend the serges on the same effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, missed 'em, too.

But, I like almost everything about 1st ed better than 2nd ed.

I have stopped buying 2nd ed stuff a while ago and plan to play the old stuff going forward. I truly feel it had a more epic, fun and satisfying experience.

2nd editions "race" quests drive me bananas...talk about boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no. In a way they were a nice way to customize your attacking abilities, but they slowed down the combat at times (figuring what you were going to spend those surges on, etc). Also, you had the problem of the 1/1/1 heroes, where they felt worthless compared to the more specialized heroes. So, it's a mixed bag, the black vs the red/yellow/green power dice...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us that joined with 2nd edition; anyone care to summarise what the Black die did and how it was acquired?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
For those of us that joined with 2nd edition; anyone care to summarise what the Black die did and how it was acquired?

The Black Dice were 'Power Dice', the only kind in 1st Ed. It was a die that had a blank, 2 sides with a surge symbol, and 3 sides with an Enhancement symbol (which was either +1 Damage or +1 Range, your choice). So basically, when used with an attack, it boosted the attack with either extra surge, range or damage.

Every Hero had 3 attributes (Melee, Ranged, Magic) that had Power Dice. When said Hero made that type of an attack, they would add their Power Dice to the attack. Weapons didn't normally have power dice, just the other dice, and then the heroes would add their power dice to the dice pool. Some monsters had them as well. Heroes could train during a game, spending X-amount of gold while in town, to permanently add a power die to a stat of their choice.

Lastly, during an attack, before or after the dice were rolled, a Hero could spend a fatigue to add a Power Die to the attack (and could do so 1 fatigue at a time).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.