Popular Tags: [View All]
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been playing Overlord lately, and have been thinking a bit on what I'd want my next OL deck to end up being by the end. I'm thinking to pair Zachareth's Plot deck with the Infector and Warlord classes for a very compact deck (thanks to Zachareth's Sole Purpose card combined with Infector cards that remain on the table once played) that can be cycled through quickly for lots of damage.

My card choices are based on an assumed 8 XP; other cards (like Unholy Ritual for faster cycling) could be added in/subbed as additional XP rewards allow. Here's my deck build idea:

Purchase order:

1. Airborne 1
2. Contaminated 1
3. Blood Rage 1
4, Tainted Blow 2
5. Blood Rage 1
6. Expert Blow 2

Final deck:

Dark Charm
Dark Fortune
Dark Might
Critical Blow
Frenzy
Frenzy
Dash
Airborne
Contaminated
Tainted Blow
Blood Rage
Blood Rage
Expert Blow

Plot cards:

Sole Purpose (13-card deck)
Scrying and Plotting (choose starting hand)
Rush of Power (draw 2 OL cards)
Always Prepared (discard and draw OL cards)

The way I see it, using Sole Purpose and Scrying and Plotting would allow me to reduce my deck to 11 cards on my first turn in a quest by selecting and playing Airborne and Contaminated. The other Plot cards would let me cycle through the deck without spending XP on or inflating the deck with other OL cards.

Airborne and Contaminated allow me to infect heroes whether I hit them or not (and with Airborne you can make ranged attacks intended to miss for Infection tokens). Tainted Blow can provide the surge to allow Expert Blow to be returned to my hand, and a ready supply of infected heroes will return Tainted Blow as well. So if I play things right, I should only have a deck of 9 OL cards that I'm actually cycling through once the wheels are turning. Basic OL cards remain to deal extra damage, provide surges, ensure I don't miss, etc.

My other notion would be to use Bol'Goreth's Plot deck with the Infector class, for obvious reasons — they complement each other very well.

Post with thoughts on this and/or your own target OL deck builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Post your ideal Overlord deck
You've only got 13 cards there for the final deck. Maybe missing a Dark Fortune and Dash/Dark Might?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Entice wrote:
You've only got 13 cards there for the final deck. Maybe missing a Dark Fortune and Dash/Dark Might?

Sarcasmorator wrote:
Sole Purpose (13-card deck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, derp. I had no idea there was a card that did that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tondl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently running a deck that is quite similar to yours. Except I have the Belthir plot deck.
The Frenzy + Dual Training + (Discard trap card to reduce threat cost by 1, forgot the name) + Blood Rage is amazing
That's why I leave all the basic traps in my deck it is like drawing a threat token that does not turn into a fortune token = more evilness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't the "ideal deck" depend on what the goal of your final encounter is?

I recently finished a Lair of the Wyrm mini-campaign. In the last encounter, I needed as many monsters to survive the first hero onslaught as possible to have a chance of either counterattacking them or Dark Charming a hero to a certain spot to be able to kill a NPC and win the campaign. Consequently I bought both Dark Fortitudes, Web Trap, Schemes, left Dark Charm as one of only two magic cards to find it more easily with Schemes (I needed the other one too), Wicked Laughter so the Dark Charm would not fail, and when the heroes rolled not too well in their first attack wave (plus I saved a crucial Ferrox with a Dark Fortitude), I was able to Dark Charm and attack for the win.

So nothing fancy, no powerful 3xp cards, no plot cards, just some planning for what I would need in that final encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ispher wrote:
Wouldn't the "ideal deck" depend on what the goal of your final encounter is?

Certainly, if you can predict which one you'll be doing or the goals of both possible finales are compatible with the same deck makeup. My thinking on my own deck above is to head for a target build rather than to be reactive, because I'm curious how that would work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manii Names
msg tools
I try to tailor my OL deck to the Hero choices AND the current Quest victory conditions. My current XP has been spent on Saboteur cards consisting of traps and things to penalize movement / searching. My next deck might be slanted towards something else. It all depends on the Heroes.

The other thing to remember is you can change your deck between quests (not encounters - QUESTS), choosing from the pool of initial Basic cards plus any you have purchased with XP. If you're playing a race, make sure the Dash cards and lots of movement-inhibiting traps are included. If it's a fight to the death, maybe the Pit Trap doesn't look so appealing; swap it out for something else like Criticals that is more damage-enhancing.

Flexibility is key.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know this, and the bulk of a campaign would have a more flexible deck composition than what I posted at top. It's just what I'd be aiming for in pursuing a rapid-cycling infection/damage specialty deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked through the infector class cards yet, but I'm definitely planning of trying it out for my next campaign. But I don't know if I'll have a deck without web trap any time soon. Just love that card.
-ryanjamal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.