Subject: ‘A Few Acres of Snow’ Random Rules Generator : Is it worthed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I wish all those threads had a pop-up window, that asked, "are you sure?", when you click on them. My advice would be to just stay off the threads here, play, and explore the game. If you do stumble on the strategy, hopefully your French opponent can adjust. Then, it is optimizing it. That can be a game in and of itself.

The rules generator can make some interesting games, for sure, but explore the main game first. Think of them like Dominion, instead of cards changing, the rules change. The problem with this is they don't change evenly, so you can have some rule sets that are wildly imbalanced. The gold standard would be to find a concoction of rules that perfectly balanced the game, but that has been more than elusive.

At the end of the day, it is only broken for fairly experienced players, so just enjoy the game, and don't worry about it. You'll be much happier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yeah, I love it too. It is a flawed masterpiece. AFAoS seems to fit the bill.

Welcome to BGG and board gaming. Folks here are always glad to give more recommendations, mice elf included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Try to look my RRG cards!

Extra rules in mini cards to randomize or balance the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
saintlouis wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

Thanks! Was the RRG made by Martin Wallace? If so, how come no official RRG has been released?

1) Yes, by Martin Wallace.
2) I really don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're both new to the game, and your skill develops at the same rate, save the RRG cards for when you break the game, or want to mix things up. They're also useful to handicap yourself when playing a newbie.

Another option was suggested by the late Tim Seitz (who was the top-rated player online). One player picks some of the rules to be in-play, and the other picks sides. This avoids an imbalanced rule set, but it requires moderate experience to pick a good set.

Also, print Paolo's cards. He did a nice job, and you can set the in-play cards by the board for reference. Also also, check out the 1638 scenario in the variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.