Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after a little disaster and losing most of my painted minis from I was younger I would love to get back into painting again and paint some of the newer stuff I have.

At the moment I have about 140 craft paints available to me, from my mom and wife. They got pretty much every color I could want and I tried my hand at painting a few minis with the craft paints.

First thing I noticed is that almost every color takes 2 coast. This pretty much doubles the time needed to pint a mini and some colors, (yellow orange) tend to take 3.

I'd love to drop a load and get a set of proper miniatures paint but. I'm looking at Reaper Paint. But right now its not in the budget. Those paint pots look tiny for like $2.50 to 3! Also I paint in a different way now that wastes very little paint, I shake the paints very very well for a few minutes to make sure its well mixed. Then I pop off the lid and paint from the lid. As oppose to dropping some paint on a palette and potentially wasting some.

I'm sure the paint pros are having a heart attack right now lol.

What are some of the best experiences you had with craft paints? I got a special coupon and I can get them for almost 50 cents a pop, the brands include:
Applebarrel
Americana
Anita
Creamcoat
Folkart

Most of these paints are pretty good but require two coats for a good look. Is that the norm? Having never painted with the "professional" stuff, does that stuff cover in one coat as well? I would like to cut down on the time needed to paint these guys.

Which of the above craft brands do you have the best success with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Apple Barrel and Folkart mainly for the base coat for bases, structures, and vehicles. For the way I paint, they cover up the details of figures (28mm on average). For the detail work, I still go to Citadel (and I've used the lid as my paint pot, too) and Vallejo. Good paint can help make up for poor skills

If you've got a Hobby Lobby nearby, some have started to stock Vallejo paints in the model section - the weekly 40% off coupon works with them, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Having never painted with the "professional" stuff, does that stuff cover in one coat as well? I would like to cut down on the time needed to paint these guys.

There's different types of "professional" paint. Some - like the GW "foundation" paints which I think they've actually renamed something else recently - are designed to go on in a single coat, and do a good job of it. However, a lot of high-quality miniature paints are designed to be painted on in thin layers because that way you get the most control with blends and highlights and so on. Painting miniatures well is not a quick task.

Yes, those good-quality paints are small pots for more money than craft paints, but you can paint a lot of miniatures with them before they run out, you barely need any paint to cover your typical game mini.

The best coverage I've had with hobby paints have been with GW's foundation range (which are maybe called "base coat" now?) and with Vallejo's Model Colour range (which need an incredible amount of shaking, but are great paints). There's several hobby brands I've not had the chance to try, though, so there's probably some other options.

If you want to paint miniatures quickly, one good approach is to spray-paint them in the base colour for the majority of the mini (so, say, in uniform grey for WWII Germans) and then just pick out the details (e.g. face, rifle, hands, boots, belts) with other colours. Then you can give the whole figure a wash, or apply one of the various QuickShade products to deepen the detail. The coloured spray paint is again going to cost more, but it's a trade-off with saving you a lot of time. (Also keep in mind that the finish of the spray colour and paint colour is going to be dramatically effected by the colour of the primer you use. Use white primer for bright colourful minis, grey primer for 'realistic' military minis, black primer for dark minis.)

I've only tried a few craft paint brands, and found that they've all been pretty terrible for miniature painting. IIRC Folkart were the best of the bunch, though. One problem is that craft paint is designed to be cheap and functional enough to paint relatively large things, so the pigment is ground up quite coarsely, while good hobby paints use a liquid pigment. You can literally see the flecks of colour separating from the medium in some craft paints!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips guys, when I have more scratch I plan to drop some $ on miniature paints at some point at least to try them.

I hope their oranges and yellows coat better than craft oranges and yellows...

I bought a few Ceramcoat and they actually work very very well so far, a close second is the.... well... Martha Stewart Crafts paint. Satin is their baseline, and is it a bit shiny compared to other acrylic craft paints (thus the satin I suppose). The metallics and Pearl seem to work very very well and pearl has some cool application uses to far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so here is a miniature from Descent 2nd Edition I tried my hand at, Leoric of the book.

First let me say, wow these guys are detailed. Holy crap!

I did this all with the craft paints shown and a bottle of flesh tone my friend gave me a year or so ago.

Sadly this is as good as it gets, lat I remember I was horrible at washing or staining or doing depth with wet paints. I ruined a lot of minis that way.

I am also not great at dry brushing, I just can never get something right, not enough paint, too much paint, too hard, etc.

Without shading at all he kinda looks flat cry

Oh also I am horrible at trimming flash which is evident...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/StormbringerGT/Painti...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Reznor
msg tools
mb
Get yourself a can of Army Painter Quick Shade. It works wonders if you're not really skilled at shading your miniature yourself. Great stuff for beginners and for shading lots of miniatures in no time. Needs a layer of dull coat though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed by the levitating paint bottles. That must help with storage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! Yup!

The strand they are attached to is so curved they are like bent like that forever....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try dip method?

Anyway, I think it looks great! If any gamer buddies complain about the paint job, invite them to do better or shut it!

Just my opinion!
-SuperCruz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.