Richard Roe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I heard that a smaller store in Athens (about an hour and a half drive from me in Atlanta) was limiting their store championship entries to 16 players. I thought that this would give me the best odds for collecting a playmat as a prize. When we arrived that morning I found a field that represented most of the talented, competitive players that I know of from this state, it made me a little worried for my chances. Even with 16 competitors the small store was overflowing with people, it was cozy. Being that the store was so tight I could hear games going on several seats away, I don't think I've ever overheard the words "account siphon" so many times in one day. The employees and players from Athens were all friendly and gracious hosts. All in all it was a fun day with some great games.

The tournament was 5 Swiss rounds followed by top 4 elimination. I went 6 and 4 in Swiss with even weak side loses and killer SoS.

My runner loses both stick in my head. The first was to a Personal Evolution deck that was absolutely overwhelming. I think I hit Snare! twice and fetal AI 3 times without stealing it because I thought he had 2 EMPs, the last time it didn't matter because he had 3. The second was to a player with a TWiY* deck that I was beating 6 points to 1 at one point, then offered to let that player take back a rez of a SanSan that was going to completely break him and probably cost him the game. He asked if I was sure, I replied confidently with a chuckle that if he came back to win there would be a huge asterisk by his win. He won, after fighting me hard off R&D. He was very gracious about it, even offering to report it as a win for me, I told him that wouldn't have been me letting him take it back, which I said I would. He went on to finish first after Swiss, while I came in at 3rd, serves me right. =)

In the first elimination match my corp deck lost 7 to 6 with the winning agenda in hand with the credits to Biotic labor it out, but not if I rezzed the Tollbooth on R&D so I let the runner in to see one card and lost that bet. Which was fine because Gabe won the next game 7-4.

The second elimination match was against the player who had finished first after Swiss, my chance to redeem myself. I ran first and won 7-1. The corp game consisted of fast advancing a 2 point agenda for the win on the 3rd or 4th turn I think. Not an exciting game, and certainly not how I would have preferred to beat a competitive opponent. I do wish they'd do something different with tournament scoring.

As far as the decks go, Gabe is pretty much what you'd expect from anything blue. The TWiY deck is based on one I'd been tinkering with for a long time but the econ wasn't there for it until sweeps week came out. Gila Hands was a new addition as well, it really pulled it's weight. Marked accounts is one of my favorite cards, just bad enough that nobody wants to trash it, but I love the feeling of having 2 of them chugging along. You'll also notice that I like to run light ice, as light as I think I can get away with.

Identity:
NBN: The World Is Yours* (Future Proof)

Total Cards: (44)

Agenda: (10)
AstroScript Pilot Program (Core) x3
Project Beale (Future Proof) x3
Character Assassination (Opening Moves) x2
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x2

Asset: (5)
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x3
Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus) x2

ICE: (12)
Tollbooth (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x1
Bastion (Creation and Control) x2
Grim (Opening Moves) x1
RSVP (True Colors) x3
Rototurret (Core) x1 ■
Flare (Future Proof) x1

Operation: (14)
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Biotic Labor (Core) x2 ■■■■
Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static) x3 ■
Shipment from SanSan (Second Thoughts) x3
Sweeps Week (True Colors) x3

Upgrade: (3)
SanSan City Grid (Core) x3



Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (20)
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) x1 ■■■
Special Order (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x3
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Inside Job (Core) x2
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x2

Hardware: (8)
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x2 ■■
HQ Interface (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Desperado (Core) x2
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x3

Program: (11)
Corroder (Core) x1 ■■
Knight (Mala Tempora) x2 ■■
Crypsis (Core) x1
Faerie (Future Proof) x3
Femme Fatale (Core) x1
ZU.13 Key Master (What Lies Ahead) x1 ■■
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x2

Resource: (6)
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control) x3
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that in the upcoming regionals and Chronos tour I dont come up against 15 Criminal/Account Siphon and NBN/Fast Advance decks. Unfortunately that seems more than likely.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! NBN and Biotic are chocolate and peanut butter; a great match.

Did you find the Marked Accounts to be econ overkill?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Five rounds of swiss PLUS top-4 single elim!

This now takes the candle from my area for "most hardcore scheduling of a 16 player tourney" .

Congrats on your wins! Yay Biotic TWIY .
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spags wrote:
Congrats! NBN and Biotic are chocolate and peanut butter; a great match.

Thank you, yes I think they are. I love watching a runner's face after they struggle economically to blow up one SanSan behind something like 1 RSVP, then another, only to then Biotic out my AstroScript. shake

spags wrote:
Did you find the Marked Accounts to be econ overkill?

Not at all, Tollbooth does a lot of work in this deck and it's nice when someone femmes your Tollbooth to be able to afford to install and rez another right in front of it.

magnus_eisengrim wrote:
I hope that in the upcoming regionals and Chronos tour I dont come up against 15 Criminal/Account Siphon and NBN/Fast Advance decks. Unfortunately that seems more than likely.

There was a good mix of corp factions at our tournament, although top 4 was 4 NBN, 3 Criminals and 1 Shaper if memory serves. For the runners, Account Siphon is the one thing I think you can count on for sure at this point. Are they playing Anarch? Probably splashing for Siphon. Shaper you say? Yep, they're probably playing 2 or 3 as well.

laikal wrote:
Five rounds of swiss PLUS top-4 single elim!

This now takes the candle from my area for "most hardcore scheduling of a 16 player tourney" .

Congrats on your wins! Yay Biotic TWIY .

Yeah 5 rounds of Swiss seemed like a little much for 16 players to me, I think we would have had the same-ish results from 4 Swiss rounds. The store opened at noon and were finished by 7:30, maybe 8:00, which seemed quick for having played 14 games of Netrunner. As I mentioned I am familiar with at least 12 of the players there and they are all guys who take the game pretty seriously. Most of them traveled from Atlanta that day, and drive all over Atlanta to play several days a week at different shops. We are lucky enough to have a very healthy community for Netrunner here in Atlanta. There are active weekly events scheduled every day Sunday through Thursday, all within 35 mile of each other. With people often meeting on Friday and/or Saturday as well.

Oh yeah, thank you too. BTWIY* *Some restrictions still apply
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think that "you could rez a second tollbooth because you have marked accounts" is a realistic position to hold
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
I don't really think that "you could rez a second tollbooth because you have marked accounts" is a realistic position to hold

It is if I've had it for 8 turns.

But seriously, he asked if they were overkill. We all know that a credit or two can make a big difference in this game and if I have a drip going it allows me to make different decisions.

All in all I think the way I said it before sounds better than saying "because I have 3 Green Level Clearance, 3 Hedge Funds, 3 Sweeps Week, 3 Shipment From SanSan, 2 Gila Hands Arcology and 2 Marked Accounts, I find that I'm left with ample money to rez an additional Tollbooth when needed". What do you think?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EverRich wrote:
Tuism wrote:
I don't really think that "you could rez a second tollbooth because you have marked accounts" is a realistic position to hold

It is if I've had it for 8 turns.

But seriously, he asked if they were overkill. We all know that a credit or two can make a big difference in this game and if I have a drip going it allows me to make different decisions.

All in all I think the way I said it before sounds better than saying "because I have 3 Green Level Clearance, 3 Hedge Funds, 3 Sweeps Week, 3 Shipment From SanSan, 2 Gila Hands Arcology and 2 Marked Accounts, I find that I'm left with ample money to rez an additional Tollbooth when needed". What do you think?

Lol, why not try see if minus the Marked Accounts or anything, if you could still rez 2 tollbooths?

I think though, the point may be better stated as - rather have too much than to have too little, especially against denial like siphon, vamp, reina, rook, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
EverRich wrote:
Tuism wrote:
I don't really think that "you could rez a second tollbooth because you have marked accounts" is a realistic position to hold

It is if I've had it for 8 turns.

But seriously, he asked if they were overkill. We all know that a credit or two can make a big difference in this game and if I have a drip going it allows me to make different decisions.

All in all I think the way I said it before sounds better than saying "because I have 3 Green Level Clearance, 3 Hedge Funds, 3 Sweeps Week, 3 Shipment From SanSan, 2 Gila Hands Arcology and 2 Marked Accounts, I find that I'm left with ample money to rez an additional Tollbooth when needed". What do you think?

Lol, why not try see if minus the Marked Accounts or anything, if you could still rez 2 tollbooths?

I think though, the point may be better stated as - rather have too much than to have too little, especially against denial like siphon, vamp, reina, rook, etc.

Absolutely, if I thought that it may be too much. I think that it's just enough.

Runners can build a rig that gets by with very few real credit producing cards if they have the right ones in play (see Andi with Suckers and Desperado, Katman with the same or Kate with Opus), corps don't get that luxury. This deck is very good at using lots of money to win. I think that is the goal of all corp decks: convert credits in to protection and points. My thought process in building most decks (either side) is to make the strongest econ I can and then think about how I can best put that money to use to win. Tollbooth is expensive, so is Flare, Biotic, and SanSan. If for some reason the runner isn't denying me credits this deck usually deals with them quickly and decisively. If they are, all that econ helps to get by with less than they expect I can.

Shipment from SanSan is a fun card for dealing with denial. Scoring that next AstroScript from zero credit's after getting roughed up by denial or scoring 2 points the turn after spending my last 6 rezzing a SanSan before Siphon is successful are both huge plays.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if only you were that good at Game of Thrones, the board game, Richard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
Now if only you were that good at Game of Thrones, the board game, Richard.

Hey, Jeremy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hager
United States
Leesburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just surprised to see you on here and wanted to contribute, sorry. Congrats on the winning!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PraetorianXVIII wrote:
I was just surprised to see you on here and wanted to contribute, sorry. Congrats on the winning!

LoL No need to apologize, glad to hear from you. Thanks for the congrats. It took me a little while to figure out it was you, but your AU microbadge gave you away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls