David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes Tournament, April 12, Upstate New York

The Schenectady Wargamers Association is happy to announce that we will be sponsoring a one-day Conflict of Heroes tournament at our April Game-a-thon, this coming April 12, 2014.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
* One Day, April 12th
* Doors open at 8:00 AM, games start at 9:30 AM.
* A mix of published and custom-made scenarios
* Four rounds of Swiss scoring
* Final round ends and winner announced around 11 PM-ish.

PRIZES
Academy Games will be officially sponsoring this tournament with prize and promotion support.

The tournament winner will get a free copy of the upcoming Guadalcanal box set when it is released. The winner will also have a Leader card named in their honor in the next box set.

All tournament participants will receive a free Wrecks and Destruction expansion counter sheet as part of their paid registration.

Half of all tournament participants will receive a free Monster Tanks expansion counter sheet. The winner of the round 3 Goeringstrasse scenario will not only score tournament points, but will also take home the full Monster Tanks counter sheet used to play the scenario.

All these prizes are provided by Academy Games.

The SWA Game-a-thons are hosted by the Proctors Theatre and Convention Center, located in Schenectady, New York. Schenectady is conveniently located:
* 3 hours north of New York City
* 3 hours west of Boston
* 4 hours east of Buffalo
* 5 hours south of Montreal.

REGISTRATION & COSTS
Registration for the entire tournament will be only $10.
(Please keep in mind that the Wrecks and Destruction counter sheet alone is worth $10!

Because of the need for us to plan on providing map boards and counters, we require that all participants pre-register via the web, with PayPal payment. We cannot guarantee a spot in the tournament to those who do not pre-register. We may be able to accommodate a few walk-ins, but there are no guarantees to this. Please consider pre-registration mandatory.

The online registration page is available now:
http://www.swa-gaming.org/conflict-of-heroes-tournament-onli...

Registration Discounts
Players who are able to provide AtB and/or SoS map boards and counters will get a discount on their registration. You will get $3 off for each game set you can bring to potentially share with other players.

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS
For those of you traveling from out of town to attend, we have identified several good hotels at a variety of price and quality points. This is the same web page the SWA uses for it's annual convention in October, Council of Five Nations. Please ignore references to the October con - the hotel info is still valid. Link:

http://www.swa-gaming.org/CouncilHotels

ABOUT THE SWA's CONFLICT OF HEROES GROUP
The Schenectady Wargamers Association has had a group of CoH players meeting twice a month for over two years now. Group membership has fluctuated over the years, and is currently at six solid members. We have played many of the published scenarios, and have experimented with custom-designed scenarios and ASL conversions. One member has even designed a Korean War scenario. If you are local to the Capital District, and are interested in joining us, please let us know.

FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact Dave Cheng, the Tournament Judge, with any questions or comments.
CoH.Tournament@swa-gaming.org
(518) 464-1977 before 11pm EST

You can also follow the online discussion on the Board Game Geek forum page (what you're reading right now!). Post your questions here so the whole community can see the answers.

We hope to see many of you on April 12th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note...

There is an annoying little glitch with the online registration form. When you click the submit button, it will take you to a page that says "Thank you for registering for Council of Five Nations".

That's our annual 3-day convention in October. You can see what happened last year here:
http://www.swa-gaming.org/Council

I set up a page that says "Thank you for registering for the Conflict of Heroes tournament on April 12th", but for some reason, the 'submit' button is not sending you to the right place.

It doesn't matter - if you see the screen, we got your registration email. Thank you. I alerted our web programmer guy and he will get it fixed soon.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fantastic. Too bad I'm on the wrong continent. Great to see the Goeringstrasse scenario included as part of the tournament - it's a great one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be good! No better way to usher in spring than with the sound of tanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang! I am on the wrong side of the country! Wish I could be there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to make it this time. It's a nine hour drive for me though.
Is there a list of the firefights being played that I can access.
thanks so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario List

We are planning on posting the scenario list closer to the event. I know it's a point of debate in ASL tournaments about how far in advance you get to know the scenarios. Our philosophy is that we don't want people having too much time to prepare.

Y'all already know one of the scenarios - Goeringstrasse (downloadable from the Academy Games web site).

I can tell you now that that one other scenario is published, and two are home-made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Registration Update

Not that it was ever a big deal, but the glitch in the online registration page is now fixed.

When you click the "Submit" button (but before you pay via PayPal), it now says "Thank you for registering for the SWA's Conflict of Heroes Tournament April 12, 2014".

Hope to see lots of you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament Schedule

8:30 - 9:00 AM Setup, Arrival, Registration
9:00 - 9:15 AM Set Match-ups for Round 1
9:15 - 9:30 AM Set up boards
9:30 - 11:30 AM Scenario #1 (2 hours)
11:30 - 12:15 PM Lunch Break
12:15 - 12:30 PM Set Match-ups, Set up boards
12:30 - 2:30 PM Scenario #2 (2 hours)
2:30 - 2:45 PM Quick Break
2:45 - 3:15 PM Set Match-ups, Set up boards
3:15 - 6:15 PM Scenario #3 (3 hours)
6:15 - 7:15 PM Dinner Break
7:15 - 7:30 PM Set Match-ups, Set up boards
7:30 - 11:00 PM Scenario #4 (3.5 hours)
11:15 PM-ish Award Ceremony

Hmmm... Why are all my spaces missing (for better layout)?

Hope to see many of you on April 12th - just four weeks away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More on the scenarios.

The four scenarios will be posted here in two weeks:
Saturday, March 29th.

Two scenarios are published and available from the Academy Games web site (or in your CoH sets).

Two scenarios were home-grown by us, the SWA's CoH group (we don't have a catchy name for our group just yet, but we're working on one).

Watch this thread for more tournament details.

We hope to see many of you on April 12th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the update

Goeringstrasse is a good fight.

After 4 plays, we found that sound German play will be hard to beat.

As always though, the dice are the true God of War in this game.

The Soviets better succeed on most of their tank rolls, or else.

Just a note, we never used foot cautious movement, or wrecks.

I assume you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alex andy wrote:
As always though, the dice are the true God of War in this game.

Very true! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not unique to CoH is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are quite right, definitely not unique to CoH!

But that is of little comfort when the Gods favor your enemy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, our group considers the optional 'cautious advance' rule practically mandatory. The tournament prep sheet outlines that this rule will be used in all scenarios.

Also, yes, we will be using the Wrecks counters for this scenario. Uwe provided them for free to all tournament attendees, so I figure we have to use them!

Hope to see many of you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

looking forward to seeing another fire fight 16

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament Scenario List

9:30 AM - Scenario #1
Wounded Tiger - Published in CoH: Storms of Steel
This all-armor scenario uses SoS boards 7, 8, 9 & 10.

12:30 PM - Scenario #2
Red Star Prize
This SWA home-made scenario is a combined infantry & armor scenario that takes place entirely on AtB board #2.
Not only do we think this is a well-balanced fight, but we also specifically designed it to be a good beginner/teaching scenario. We think that beginners don't want just infantry - they want a mix of infantry & armor. So we have a relatively small, one-board scenario that provides a good mix and is exciting for all players. We look forward to making it available to the CoH community some time soon after the tournament.

3:15 PM - Scenario #3
Goringstrasse
This is a new scenario developed by Academy Games, and is available for download on the Academy Games web site:
http://academygames.com/games/conflict-of-heroes/
This scenario requires the Monster Tanks expansion counter sheet. Academy Games has provided a supply of these to us. The winner of each game will get to keep the Monster Tanks counter sheet as a special prize.

7:30 PM - Scenario #4
Take the Factory
This is another SWA home-made scenario, using a section of the Stalingrad map found in the ASL historical module Valor of the Guards. The Germans seized an important stronghold yesterday, but the Russians are determined to take it back today.

The Conflict of Heroes tournament will get special treatment at the SWA Game-a-thon; we will get the best room in the facility.

We hope to see many of you there on April 12th.

p.s. Our apologies for getting this posted a day late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you for the update Dave, much appreciated.

Going in green against an experienced adversary in firefights 2 and 4 may be tough.

I assume I would also play a green opponent in each.

If not, that's ok, I might get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris, I think it's funny that you're describing yourself as "green", when a few posts up you say that you've played the Goeringstrasse scenario four times.

If you and your local group have played one scenario four times, that makes you sound like a Veteran to me!...

The question you ask is good. There are two points to make...

SWISS PAIRING
* The four rounds will be played and scored in a Swiss format.
* All round 1 matches will be randomized.
* In round 2, players with the highest scores in round 1 will be paired, and so on.
* Thus, ideally, we just might have two players who have gone 3-0 playing for the championship in round 4.
* However, everyone who wants to plays in all four rounds. We are especially proud of the round 4 Stalingrad scenario, Take the Factory, so we hope you all stick around to enjoy it.

HANDICAP POINTS
Various players in the SWA CoH group have participated to greater or lesser extents in playtesting the four scenarios, and especially the two custom scenarios. Those players will be handicapped by a certain number of points when computing the overall tournament winner.

Aaron C: 3 points
Ben M: 2 points
Brian K: 2 points
Doug R: 1 point
Rich M: 0 points (he's relatively new to the group).

We believe this will make it competitive for all players.

Hope to see many of you there.

-DC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Did you all see the email blast sent out by Academy Games today? We hope so.

To receive notices about Conflict of Heroes and other Academy Games offerings, make sure you go to the Academy Games web site and register an account with them.

AG probably averages fewer than one message per month, so you don't need to be worried about loads of unwanted emails.
(As an aside, I bought something from an online retailer last week, and now they are sending me three promo messages per day!...)

Registering an account also grants you access to the downloads area of the Academy Games site. You can get full PDF versions of the rules, all the published scenarios in PDF format, and bonus scenarios that are not included in the physical game boxes.

Link to Academy Games site:
http://academygames.com/games/conflict-of-heroes/

Click "Rules & Updates" in the menu on the right to go to the account login or creation page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminder: Please Pre-Register

If you're planning on attending, please be sure to pre-register. We want to make sure we have enough map boards and unit counters ready for all interested players. We also need to custom print the Stalingrad map for the round 4 games. You pre-registering helps us be fully prepared.

Please also note that those of you able to provide your own CoH: Awakening the Bear (1st or 2nd ed) and/or CoH: Storms of Steel sets will get a discount on registration.

Registration is only $10, and that goes down to $4 if you can provide one of each. (We are obviously not out to make money on this tournament - we're doing this just for the love of the game.)

Please pre-register. We cannot guarantee we can accommodate all players if we get too many walk-ins.

Link to the online pre-registration page:

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dave:
Yes, "green" was not the best choice of words. I am an experienced player.
What I should have said is, playing a custom firefight for the first time against an opponent who has played it before may be extra tough.
Thank you for explaining the handicap and scoring.
You guys have done much prep for the tournament. Much appreciated.
I really hope to come. I have not registered yet. If I do come, I will be bringing a copy of ATB 2nd ed and SOS.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nuwesra
United States
Whitestone
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I am trying to talk my brother-in-law into going. We are new CoH players. I have played ASL for many years (too many) and am getting into CoH.

My question is: what is the last day to register?

I am in NYC but my brother-in-law is in NJ. Much of the ability to go rests with him being able to get to me early enough or sleeping over the night before. Car is only option but my daughter has a bday party in Long Island. So I might rent a car for the day.

Thanks for the information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jon,

I knew your name sounded familiar... You and I played some Empires in Arms together out in Queens, many years ago. Good to see you're still playing quality games!

On to your question...

It would be great if you (and everyone else interested), could pre-reg by next Wednesday, April 9th.

Now, I don't think we're at too much risk of not having enough sets to play. I'm assuming at least 50% of the people interested in playing four games of CoH in one day will own at least one, if not both, of AtB and SoS, and will bring them along for the registration discount.

Since you are posting here now, and giving us a week's notice, and driving up from NYC/NJ, I will personally guarantee you and your B-in-Law will be able to participate fully.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 12th.

-DC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Saad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys:
I have just registered and booked my room! Now it's just a 9 hr drive to get there. The weather forecast looks good too. I'm bringing a copy of both games and hopefully leaving with three games. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.