Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In prep for getting this on the table I'd like to do some more reading. I've read Killer Angels sometime ago. Gettysburg The Last Invasion by Allen C. Guelzo was recommended by a friend. Any thoughts or other suggestions for background prep. I realize that the writing is extensive I'm looking for just one among the many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always liked Edwin Coddington's The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command .
Gettysburg by Stephen Sears is also worth a read.
There are many to choose from but I always end up referring back to A Study in Command.

Edit: How could I forget Stackpole! What he says below.S
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 4 that come to mind are,
4. Regimental Strenghts and Losses at Gettysburg, John Busey/David G. Martin = more of a reference book.
3. Willoughby Run, Richard S. Shue = Focuses on the first days action July 1st.
2. They Met at Gettysburg, Edward J. Stackpole
1. Gettysburg Magazine, 47volumes = was periodical from 1993-2013. It focused on the entire campaign in detail by many accredited author's. With valuable detail on troops, command, location, timeline etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Maguire
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this:

Gettysburg by Trudeau

http://www.amazon.com/Gettysburg-Noah-Andre-Trudeau-ebook/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game was still in pre-order I asked Dean Essig the same question on Consimworld.

His suggestions were the Coddington book mentioned above and Last Chance for Victory, from which the game takes its name. I haven't got it in front of me so I can't remember the authors' names.

I have read both in the last few months. Coddington is outstanding. LCV is much more recent. I would say it takes a stronger view on some issues and it is certainly written from the perspective of the rebellion. For example it uses the expression "war for southern independence" without apparent irony.

I am glad that I read both because together they gave me a much richer sense of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jennings
United States
upper chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been reading Gettysburg: The First Day by Harry Pfanz. It is well written and incredibly detailed. I would definitely recommend it for any Gettysburg nut like myself. He also has two other books....Gettysburg: The Second Day and Gettysburg: Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for your suggestions. I've decided to start with Coddington's book. That and counter clipping should keep me busy for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to listen to audio books while clipping counters or while I'm laying down (very relaxing). I really enjoy listening to: The Civil War: A Narrative, Volume II, Fredericksburg to Meridian (Unabridged) Part 4 by Shelby Foote (Gettysburg), Gettysburg by Stephen Sears, & Gettysburg: The Last Invasion by Allen Guelzo. I download them from Audible.com or maybe your local library may have them as downloads or CD's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm C wrote:
When the game was still in pre-order I asked Dean Essig the same question on Consimworld.

His suggestions were the Coddington book mentioned above and Last Chance for Victory, from which the game takes its name. I haven't got it in front of me so I can't remember the authors' names.

I have read both in the last few months. Coddington is outstanding. LCV is much more recent. I would say it takes a stronger view on some issues and it is certainly written from the perspective of the rebellion. For example it uses the expression "war for southern independence" without apparent irony.

I am glad that I read both because together they gave me a much richer sense of the battle.

Scott Bowden and Bill (?) Ward wrote LCV. That book takes a decidedly pro-Lee stance. (IMO, way too much. It seemed like Lee was great and most of the rest of his high command were a bunch of slackers.) And I got the same impression you did about the book being from the Southern perspective. It seemed that Meade and the AotP were straw men throughout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee was a great commander. His lieutenants were questionable at Gettysburg.
AP Hill was a great division commander but a horror at the corp level.
Ewell learned nothing from Jacksons during 62 valley campaigns.
Longstreet was a great corp commander and his divisions took their objectives on July 2 1863, but AP Hills, RA Anderson div did follow through with Lees plan and stalled their attack.
Now AoP was soundly defeated throughout 1862 except for Sharpsburg which was a draw, considered by most involved.
Chancellorsville was a debacle for AoP, May 1863 and G Meade was only in command for at best a month and scarcely knew in command or staff.

Union hero's at Gettysburg were John Buford cav div, A Doubleday Icorp, O Howard XIcorp(yes), all for their stalling tactics and Howard left von Steinwuhr at cemetry hill to build breastworks. Hancock IIcorp for holding the line on July 2nd, Slocum XII for actions on Clups hill July 2nd & 3rd.
Which if you count the numbers had more men involved then "Picketts Charge".
And 2nd US Sharpshooters for saving Chamberlain bacon at the round top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Grad
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One good source for Gettysburg wargame prep reading is the collection of Gettysburg Seminar papers posted on the National Park Service site.

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/gett/gettysb...

There are 14 volumes of academic papers. Most but not all are accessible for free. Amongst them are some good papers that outline for both the ANV and AoP, plans for the separate days of battle.

For instance, in the Second Day of Gettysburg volume are these papers:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/gett/gettysb...

The Confederate Deliberate Attack
William D. Hewitt, Lt. Col, U.S. Army (ret.)

Unwilling Witness to the Rage of Battle:
The Experience of Battle on July 2
D. Scott Hartwig

The Gap:
Meade’s July 2 Offensive Plan
Troy D. Harman

To Consider Every Contingency:
Lt. Gen. James Longstreet, Capt. Samuel R. Johnston, and the Factors that affected the Reconnaissance and Countermarch
Karlton D. Smith

On Such Slender Threads Does the Fate of Nations Depend:
The Second United States Sharpshooters Defend the Union Left
Timothy J. Orr

The Key to the Entire Situation:
The Peach Orchard, July 2, 1863
Eric A. Campbell

We Were Now Complete Masters of the Field:
Ambrose Wright’s Attack on July 2
Matt Atkinson

Our Position Was Finely Adapted to Its Use:
The Guns of Cemetery Hill
Bert H. Barnett

Many of these are 20-40 page papers, fully footnoted.

Check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.