Popular Tags: [View All]
David Taylor
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past week, I ran a demo of Masters Gallery as part of a primer for a new event I am working on for my local game store called "Board on Friday Night."
So I brought out Masters Gallery to play in a 3-player setting at first. I explained the rules of how to play and went over the player reference cards to discuss the special abilities certain cards have. We got the game set up and I reminded the players what the goal of the game was, to display art pieces by different artists to gain popularity and value for their paintings.
The first round of the game was over almost before you knew it because players quickly played pieces from the same artist and reached 6 pieces from one artist to signal the end of the round. When we placed the value tokens for the first round of scoring, we only placed 2 tokens as there were only pieces represented from two artists. So, some encouragement to diversify their portfolio was offered and the game proceeded in a much better way.
The game plays very quickly and after 2 games, we were joined by a fourth player. The addition of another player changed things slightly, as the number of cards to be added to each hand after the rounds was decreased. After some aggressive playing in earlier rounds, one player was left without any cards in hand and was not able to score many points in the final round of the game and ended up not winning the game.
We took the time to admire some of the classic pieces of art that are in this game, as well as discuss the fact that this is a Reiner Knizia game, so there is certainly abstractness to the game.
We had a nice evening playing this game and hoping to have it make it to the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if only 2 artists come out in a round, you still put out the third marker. It goes to Lite Metal (yellow) or whatever the lowest numbered artist that didnt have cards showing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Even if only 2 artists come out in a round, you still put out the third marker. It goes to Lite Metal (yellow) or whatever the lowest numbered artist that didn't have cards showing.

Did the rules for "Modern Art: the Card Game" (with Lite Metal - it's Vermeer in "Masters Gallery") state this explicitly?

One might infer your statement from the "Masters Gallery" rules. They say that Value 1 Token is assigned to the Artist Card with the "third-most displayed Masterpieces" and that ties are broken in favor of the artist with the lowest number.

Personally, I would agree with you: if only two artists have a non-zero number of Masterpieces displayed, then the other three artists are all tied with zero - and the tie would be broken as you've described.

But I know that others have argued (in discussions of other games) that zero is not enough for most. In Rococo, "the players with the most and second most Dresses in that hall receive Prestige Points"; this is from the printed rules (there is a tie-breaker). This question of "can zero be most?" came up, and the designer ruled that it could not.

It's better when the printed rules address this question explicitly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.