Popular Tags: [View All]
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just a small sharing of joy! My 9 year old son asked for a second game of BL2 this weekend.

I've introduced my son to many of the games found in my collection (D&D Adventure, Gears of War, M44, Mice & Mystics, etc) and he's never asked for a second play or agreed to play a second time when asked - but something about BattleLore 2e has caught his fancy! He even asked if we could paint the guys (figures).

He still hasn't grasped the Lore cards completely (hey Dad! can I play this now? What does this card do?) - but most of the command cards were played correctly.

Just a proud geek dad brag!

Dave meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some advanced warning - my son is now in his thirties, and he beats me at most of the games we play.

But seriously, this is great - a lot of dads don't spend enough time with their children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll second that. After teaching my son Stratego and thinking that I'll go light on him for his first couple of games - I currently stand 0-2.

But he loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I did not wipe the board with my son - I had 15 VP and he had 14 VP when I killed his last viper archer and won the game. I believe that once he figures out his lore cards I'll be in for a real contest!

I'm hoping to reintroduce M44 in the near future

As he gets older, it is becoming harder to find common interests.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great story. I hope my kids (and wife) get into this when I can finally afford this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engelstein
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to hear that you are getting your son into gaming when he is young. When I was little my Dad also got me into board games. Years later I got to help design Battle Lore Second Edition, so it is good to hear I have at least somewhat passed on the love. It was a huge part of my life and I hope that it is as important for you guys as it was for us.

Also, never let us win, finally taking down Dad is about as much fun as a 6 year old can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Landry
Canada
St Lazare
QC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SpaceShark wrote:
Also, never let us win, finally taking down Dad is about as much fun as a 6 year old can have.

Funny - when I look back to my youth, it was a bitter-sweet moment when I realized that I could beat dad at a bunch of stuff...

The boy will have earn his victory laugh

Thanks for your work on the game Brian!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Cowan
United States
Huron
South Dakota
flag msg tools
This is awesome! I love Battlelore. My first kid is on the way and I can only dream that he/she will want to play with me when they are old enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.