7 Posts

Duel in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: Germany OP game balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pedro Redondo
msg tools
Hello all,

I have played several times a solo game (with basic resoruces, i mean flak and searchlight) and germany has win every time for more than 20 points. I think the game is a little descompesated. I am going to try to play with advance resoruces because there is no combo with flack and searchlight.
Are there someone that has played several times and think that it is possible to win with britain? Please, tell me how to play with them because i have played with a friend and there is no chance for the britain side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't judge the two-player game based on solo play - even though it seems similar, it's very different.

The "simple" change of having the British bomber's movements actually planned versus drawn randomly makes a tremendous difference, and giving the player direct control over the Mosquito's movement is worth a bunch of extra points too.

My solo plays using the standard rules are always blowouts in favor of the German side. It's never a question of winning, it's a matter of winning by how much. On the other hand, all of my two-player games have been very close - within a couple points either way, with no obvious imbalance toward one side or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not soloable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pansch
Germany
Goslar
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Don't judge the two-player game based on solo play - even though it seems similar, it's very different.

The "simple" change of having the British bomber's movements actually planned versus drawn randomly makes a tremendous difference, and giving the player direct control over the Mosquito's movement is worth a bunch of extra points too.

My solo plays using the standard rules are always blowouts in favor of the German side. It's never a question of winning, it's a matter of winning by how much. On the other hand, all of my two-player games have been very close - within a couple points either way, with no obvious imbalance toward one side or the other.
Try to fight the Britains with just three fighter squadrons! This will be a real challenge.
If you have the expansions you can exchange the "Me 110 G" (Basegame) for "JU 88" (Expansion or second edition) and/or "He 219" (Babyblitz expansion). You can fight with three different long range night fighter squadrons (Do 217-N, Ju 88 and He 219) or with three "Me 110 G". Choose your difficulty level!

Geosphere wrote:
The game is not soloable.
I like the solo variant! The solo rules in the rulebook are simple and a solo game is very fast if you are a little experienced. The setup takes some time …
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think it plays very well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Duel in the Dark has one of the best solo player options right after Ghost Stories and Le Havre.

The suggested rules were too simple and the game too easy to beat, so I tweaked the rules a bit and put them online here on BGG:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/417106/expert-rules-for-...

The strength of DitD is its flexibility. Don't stick too much to the rulebook. See for yourself, which expansions are fun and which debalance the game too much. Another easy way to adjust is to give one player a start handicap of 1-5 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Redondo
msg tools
Thank you for your comments!

I have try your ways to play different from original instructions and it is better now for solo mision.

I love this game! i will play several games with another player to be sure that it is good balanced. I will keep you inform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.