Lloyd Butler
Australia
Bundaberg
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ticket to Ride: Europe - Purchased 01/01/2014

My full GeekList!

This is one of many of my reviews that can be found in my full GeekList - Gaming Boob to Noob and Beyond!

Why the purchase?

I twisted my wifes arm on this, after watching many reviews and finding it on every single top 10 list / recommendation / video blog etc. I went for Europe over USA based on various reasons including the full sized cards and additional strategy with ferries / tunnels / stations etc. The theme wasn’t really a hit for either of us, but was more interested in the fun factor and ability to introduce non-gamers to the game.

Our Thoughts!

The first time we played we did a dummy run with both hands open to learn the rules. It took all of 5 mins and we pretty much had it sorted. After that, we restarted and played a full game and I am glad we purchased Europe over USA, as the extra few rules like Tunnels and Ferries added a little depth to the game and probably more re-playability as well.

The game was OK with just my wife and I but we really did just stick to getting our own destinations rather than going out of our way to try to block the others. However, the game really started to shine when we sat down and played it with 4 players. All of a sudden you couldn’t just grab the track you wanted… you had to beat someone else to it or you would be running around the board trying to desperately to link your cities together however you could.

One thing I do need to mention is the city names... if you happen to be looking at the board upside down, good luck trying to find the cities on your destination tickets due to the foreign naming convention. Sure you can look at the red dots on the cards an them try find them, but it isn’t a walk in the park and is fairly easy to give away were your destination is between. This may pass with several plays but is something to consider.

Great family game, but the Europe Board is probably more suited to larger play groups (3-5) and not couples. I think I will look at investing in the India Map Collection for the Switzerland map for just my wife and I, and pull this one out for family games.

Overall we enjoyed it and was great fun. I could see that this game would be a must have when you want to pull a game out with new gamers or non gamers due to its ease of play.

Wife thumbsup
Husband thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nordic countries is excellent for 2-3 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Butler
Australia
Bundaberg
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I have it on my radar for sure. If I wanted to head down the path of a 2 player TtR what would be better... Nordic or the India / Swiss Map Collection?

I think I will look into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MaverickAU wrote:

One thing I do need to mention is the city names... if you happen to be looking at the board upside down, good luck trying to find the cities on your destination tickets due to the foreign naming convention. Sure you can look at the red dots on the cards an them try find them, but it isn’t a walk in the park and is fairly easy to give away were your destination is between. This may pass with several plays but is something to consider.

"Foreign naming convention". That's exactly what it isn't. It's not foreign, it's domestic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.