Subject: Lefties? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am been following this game with a lot of interest, and then yesterday, suddenly, this horrible doubt... is the game convenient for lefties?

Being left-handed myself, I hold my deck in my right hand. When I want to go through the cards, I push them to the left with my right thumb, thereby revealing primeraly the right side of the cards.

Since in OA the key details are located on the left side of the card, I hope that right to left motion won't make it inconvenient to browse the deck.

Has any leftie playtested the game?
Please confirm my angst is unfounded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not ideal, but could you look at them "landscape" and just slide them down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tbollaert wrote:
I am been following this game with a lot of interest, and then yesterday, suddenly, this horrible doubt... is the game convenient for lefties?
It's the first thing I thought of when I saw one of the review videos, where an apparently left-handed player kept fanning the cards the 'wrong' way. It didn't seem to inconvenience him too much though - he won the game!

Isn't this true for any normal playing cards though? The number is usually at the top left corner after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm right handed and my natural inclination is to hold cards in my right and fan them to the left, so I don't think this is necessarily a left or right handed issue, just one of personal preference.

With this game, I'll just have to fan to the right. I don't see how this is even something that needs to be addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax wrote:
I'm right handed and my natural inclination is to hold cards in my right and fan them to the left, so I don't think this is necessarily a left or right handed issue, just one of personal preference.

With this game, I'll just have to fan to the right. I don't see how this is even something that needs to be addressed.

i am also right handed and hold a deck in my right hand, fanning to the left. i will also have to adjust but this game looks so awesome it will be worth it!

i want to see this game go far, new factions, new ships, deck construction, the works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
[q="tbollaert"]Isn't this true for any normal playing cards though? The number is usually at the top left corner after all.

This is what I don't get. I've heard the complaint already about this game in terms of left-handers, but being left handed myself I know full well that most all card games have stuff on the upper left and lower right…how do you hold those games?

It always feels like I have to intentionally fan cards in general to the right, but that's what I've always had to do.

Yes, there is a certain level of dexterity required for this game, that is beyond normal, just in terms of having to hold the entire game in one hand, and flipping the cards back and forth a lot…so the game is forcing all of us to be better with our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas PDX
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess I'll learn how to fan to the right then!...
Thanks for all the answers. I didn't think it would be a major issue, it's just something that crossed my mind and wanted to check if the community had experience with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morley

Lebanon
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Left handed.

Got used to holding in my left hand and fanning right in about 60 seconds. Didn't find it to be a big deal.

My son, also left handed, did fight it a bit harder but eventually got used to it. Maybe 3 minutes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.