Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: Hot or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
Now after some of you already have the chance to play this game ... Do you like it? Do you got what you expected, or are you maybe disapointed?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
definitely hot. somewhere in the ballpark of the gears of war board game and xcom. it has some good mechanics, and in some ways i think it is better than GOW. just enough urgency, tension, and fun. theme is very cool! i've only played one stand alone game to familiarize myself with the basics but i think i am about to dive in to a campaign and see how it plays throughout.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read through the rule book twice and played through the first scenario twice.

What I like.
- Even in the first tutorial scenario, the tactics feel good. It's not just rush in guns a-blazin. Still a dice fest, but you have to plan your team movement or you're going to get stuffed.
- Combat is fun and even the starting abilities are interesting.
- Lots going on. Aliens kept popping up and going down. Alien fragments kept coming in for reinforcements. Got a new sniper rifle, set up a sentry gun and everyone leveled up. Never a dull moment.
- The difficulty felt about right. The first play through, I did some missteps and my sniper went down hard glass-cannon style. 2nd playthrough was definitely more of a cake walk after carefully thinking out the tactics, but the aliens and signals (potential aliens) keep moving around and the situation kept changing, so it was always interesting.
- Even the 3 aliens in the first scenario play very differently, so accounting for the different types really makes you think.
- Very much an X-Com feel with aliens sneaking around and popping up around the corner to take shots at you.
- The heroes all feel very different and each one is a blast. My buddy last night set up the sentry gun, area attacked 3 aliens and then healed himself all in short order. My other buddy was the hulk and took a ton of damage, killed half of the aliens and the teleport points and made it look easy (although he was pretty close to dead by the time it was all over). As the sniper, I was making sneaky moves and clearing out the hard-to-kill enemies from long range. Felt great.

What I'm a little iffy on at the moment.
- Looking through the improved weapons, I see basically an upgraded version of everyone's starting weapons. I was expecting a little more variety that "this is the same weapon you had, but you roll one more die", but I'm sure the alien weapons will provide that and I'm sure there's expansion weapons on the way.
- The Alien AI felt like I was making too many decisions in where to move them and which AI rule to use. I'm sure this will smooth out with time, but I think they could have gone a little more in the Myth direction and made the AI more concrete even if there would be more time spent checking rules.
- Can't fit all the kickstarter stuff back in the box without taking out the insert and even then, the elite alien army doesn't fit very comfortably. Actually, this is probably a + for the game instead of a -. All the crap that came in the box yesterday looked really pretty on my table. It's a small price to pay to keep the expansion box around to hold that army to have so much awesome stuff. Plus, I'm sure there's more GD coming that I'll have to store somewhere.
- Not sure if there's going to be enough there after the campaign is done. 6 missions (out of the 12 in the book) and 5 or 6 levels just doesn't seem like a lot when stacked up against the reeeeediculous amount of content you can go through in something like Descent. BUT, I need to simmer down a little, this game just came out and the content will be there in time through expansions or community created campaigns.

TL;DR;

I'm super happy with my purchase, super excited to play more after my first mission and super positive that I'm going to love this even more after getting through the campaign. Then I'll play it through with Predator, Robocop, the 2 MiBs and Arnold and that'll probably be even better. I love GD.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason G.
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeyTheMadScientist wrote:
definitely hot. somewhere in the ballpark of the gears of war board game and xcom. it has some good mechanics, and in some ways i think it is better than GOW. just enough urgency, tension, and fun. theme is very cool! i've only played one stand alone game to familiarize myself with the basics but i think i am about to dive in to a campaign and see how it plays throughout.


Man that's what I was hoping for! Mine is due to arrive today. I can not wait!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't even gotten a tracking number cry

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Snappleman wrote:

- Can't fit all the kickstarter stuff back in the box without taking out the insert and even then, the elite alien army doesn't fit very comfortably. Actually, this is probably a + for the game instead of a -. All the crap that came in the box yesterday looked really pretty on my table. It's a small price to pay to keep the expansion box around to hold that army to have so much awesome stuff. Plus, I'm sure there's more GD coming that I'll have to store somewhere.


I chucked the insert and have no problem fitting everything else from the KS in there. I also have ample room for any more expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is hot. Really enjoying it so far.

If you have the ultimate bundle even after throwing the box sits half an inch high due to the double copies of the map, at least for me it does. But I'm not complaining about that, just more stuff and toys to use!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I still haven't even gotten a tracking number cry

-shnar


Did you try tracking by reference as I mentioned in the other thread?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Snappleman wrote:

- Can't fit all the kickstarter stuff back in the box without taking out the insert and even then, the elite alien army doesn't fit very comfortably. Actually, this is probably a + for the game instead of a -. All the crap that came in the box yesterday looked really pretty on my table. It's a small price to pay to keep the expansion box around to hold that army to have so much awesome stuff. Plus, I'm sure there's more GD coming that I'll have to store somewhere.


I chucked the insert and have no problem fitting everything else from the KS in there. I also have ample room for any more expansions.


Yeah, I should have clarified. The ultimate bundle just BARELY fits without the insert and without worrying that the minis are getting squished. Here's a tip: Stack the Galaxy Ball cards on the character hexes in one corner and in the opposite corner, stack all the other cards and it holds up all the boards nicely without squishing the minis. At least, that's what I found.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
shnar wrote:
I still haven't even gotten a tracking number cry

-shnar


Did you try tracking by reference as I mentioned in the other thread?

Looks like there's one being delivered to Provo today (my city). I can't tell though to whom it's being delivered. So here's hoping it's to me

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.